(EDIT: You can now 750 Avios – twice! – simply by joining e-Rewards and completing one survey. This is a better deal! Full details are in this post.)
If you are a member of British Airways Executive Club, avios.com, Virgin Flying Club or a few other programmes, you may find yourself receiving an e-mailed invitation to earn miles by joining e-Rewards.
I have been there and done that. And I can tell you, with all honestly, that you should delete the email and forget about it!
On the face of it, it seems a decent deal. You give e-Rewards some information – actually, a LOT of information – about yourself. They then email you with occasional market research surveys.
For each survey you complete, you earn points. When you reach certain point levels, you can redeem your points for miles. What could be wrong with that?
Well, as any seasoned e-Rewards member (or ex-member) can tell you, quite a lot can be wrong!
- Just because you are sent a survey, it does not mean you are ‘qualified’ to complete it. Often you are thrown out after the first couple of questions, with no points earned.
- Sometimes, you can go a L-O-N-G way into a survey before you are thrown out. You can waste over 15 minutes at times before they decide you are not the sort of person they want. In these circumstances, you receive a nominal drip of points which is a tiny fraction of what you would have got had you completed the last couple of questions.
- Customer service is minimal, should you ever need to contact them.
- The ‘time spent to Avios earned’ ratio is pathetic, however cheaply you value your time!
- It will, without a doubt, take you longer than you think to reach the level where you can cash out.
The problem, of course, is that once you’ve done a couple of surveys you feel obliged to push on with them until you can empty your account! I would love to know what percentage of members cancel their membership after making their first redemption!!
The only possible reason to join is if they offer a good sign-up bonus. This may be, for example, 500 Avios after you complete your first survey.
In such case, join for only as long as it takes to complete that first survey. Then cancel! Do not, in any circumstances, be persuaded to carry on – I am sure you will regret it in the end. I did!
(Thanks to Trevor who reminded me of the pain of e-Rewards. He calculated that it took him around 6 hours of completing surveys to earn enough points to redeem for 1,000 Avios!)