1,000 Clubcard points (2,400 Avios) for £4.48 via blinkbox!

blinkbox is an online, downloadable, film and TV rental service – a clone of Netflix or the downloadable LoveFilm option.

Tesco bought blinkbox last year and now seem to be giving it a marketing push.  As such, they are offering 1,000 Tesco Clubcard points to the next 10,000 people to sign-up.

Here is the sign-up page you need.

blinkbox

The terms and conditions contain a sneaky clause, so watch out.  Here is a summary:

• The deal started yesterday (14th January) and runs to January 28th or when 10,000 people have joined
  • You must download TWO films before January 28th to trigger the bonus.  Simply signing up is not enough.
  • You cannot get the bonus if you use an ipad or an Xbox to access blinkbox.  Unless you have a very modern TV, you will therefore need to download the two films to your PC.  (They can, presumably, be transferred to an ipad to watch later.)
  • You can download films to watch later (within 30 days) – indeed, unless you internet connection is fast enough, you have no choice!
  • One film must be at the full price of £3.49.  The second can be a 99p oldie if you want!
  • New customers only

So, a few rules, the ipad one being the most significant.  However, for £4.48 it is definitely a decent deal!

Extra 2,500 Hilton points when you book their sale rates TODAY
Why do people dislike Dubai so much?!

Comments

1. Flashware says:

I wonder whether you just have to actually rent (pay) for it, or watch it? Anyway, although you have 30 days to trigger watching, I believe once you download it you then only have a 48 hour period to actually watch it.

2. Thanks I’ve just signed up. The 10,000 customers clause is a bit concerning though, there’s no way of us checking we’re below that number.

3. Also, you don’t actually ‘download’ the movies but by renting them you can only stream them on the website, I just found out. Therefore you can’t transfer them to an ipad, etc.

• If you download the bling box app to your ipad you just sign in and your films will be there for you to watch

4. there’s a ‘tesco clubcard’ section under your account where you need to enter your clubcard number.

Presumably if you don’t enter it here, you’ll get a chance at the payment stage.

5. Xbox and iPad are excluded for streaming the movie what about a PS3? Once you have triggered playback on each film I assume that’s enough to get the bonus, providing your under the 10,000. Don’t like the fact we are putting all our trust in the good faith of tesco!

• The promotion is not available for customers accessing the service via the Apple iPad app or Microsoft Xbox app. Using a browser on the iPad would probably be OK, dunno if Xbox has a browser as I’m not into gaming so don’t own one.

• Not sure I’d risk it. Blinkbox would know that you were using a browser on an ipad (unless you use a third party browser like icab which lets you ‘fake’ the message sent to websites about what device is being used).

• To watch online you need Microsoft Silverlight, so I don’t think this option would work for anything other than a PC/laptop.

6. Motellgamzol says:

Thank you!

7. Signed up – what a dismal collection of movies! No decent old films on there at all. Got myself ‘The Angels Share’ as a starter – highly recommended.

Hopefully I’m in the first 10k… but given how many sites this must have popped up on I won’t be holding my breath.

• One of Blinkboxes USPs is “the best way to watch the latest movies online” so I’m guessing at this point they’re not paying much attention to older titles.

8. Bazzarelli says:

Watch out if you start the movies with the intention of watching next week, as there is only a 48 hour window to watch, once you press play.

9. It’s a darn site easier and more reliable to sign up with Blockbuster on line…get your rental DVD’s and copy them straight onto your laptop fready or the train journey to work…Netflix, Blinkbox and the others don’t allow the option to ‘save’ any film rented…so waste of time IMHO.

10. I take it back….I guess I can watch a rental on the train ?

“Thank you for contacting us here at blinkbox with regards to your query.
    With regards to your query, once you download the title to your PC / Laptop you will need to initiate playback to acquire the licensing.
    Once the license is acquired you will be able to view the content off-line.
    Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused”

But how long does it take to download ?

11. trickster says:

Any one know if you can stream it to a DLNA compatible device (TB, Bluray, etc) once downloaded? Our TV doesn’t have a blinkbox app, and I don’t have any other devices other than the laptop or PC

12. Mike Turnbull says:

Total and utter rubbish…. far too restrictive in its offering. I shall carry on with Blockbuster on line at certainly no more cost…….rent DVDs, copy straight onto my PC and then move them over to my Galaxy Tab 10…..dead simple and easy and no ridiculous 48hr watching limit.

13. The T&Cs have now changed due to the demand. It now states:

First 15,000 qualifying customers only (increased from original stated volume of 10,000 to meet the high demand of this promotion).

So once a company has reacted to positive demand and extended the offer rather than withdraw it quickly. I hope this means everyone who signed up straight away has therefore qualified.

14. Jonathan says:

Not sure if its just me but the cheapest film I can see is £2.49, still a good deal for 2400 miles though.

• Jonathan says:

Well signed up and downloaded two films today 17th Jan 2013, it says I’ve gained 5 clubcard points for the two films so not sure if I’ve missed out on the deal or not as it doesn’t tell you. I’m sure it will be at Tesco’s discretion whether they honour it or not.