If you can read this, the move to our new server must have worked!

Welcome, hopefully, to the new look Head for Points!

(I write this, of course, a day or two in advance, not knowing if the move to our new server will work properly or not.  Perhaps no-one is reading this ….!)

The blog certainly looks different.  I hope you find it OK.  At least we have a pretty logo now!

In terms of content, absolutely nothing has changed.  All of the links across the top are the same, and all of the lists down the right hand side (Recent Posts, Categories, I Also Recommend etc) are still there.

There are two obvious changes.

Firstly, there are three advertising boxes on the right hand side.  I have designed these to be as unobtrusive as possible.  At the moment, they are pulling in ads from Google Adsense (it is possible that you may just see blank spaces for now whilst Google analyses the site).  However, I hope to replace this with advertising from an agency in the medium term.  No-one ever got rich by running Adsense, but it will offset the running costs of the blog.

Secondly, there are three affiliate links at the bottom of the right hand column – for Hilton, Amazon and BA.  I will explain this slightly odd choice of partners in a separate post later in the week.  Please note that the BA link is not working yet although Hilton and Amazon are.

Please let me know your thoughts below. In particular, if you notice any problems with broken links, please post.   As with all major website revamps, it will probably feel a bit unfamiliar for a few days and then you will forget the old version ever existed!

I won’t know until after this post goes live if the email, RSS, Facebook and Twitter feeds are working OK ….!

There is a bit of a backlog of deals to write about, so there should be some interesting stuff to come over the next few days.  If you have any Avios-loving friends, now is a good time to share Head for Points with them!

Earn some cheap Avios with Tesco’s new ‘pre-order’ deals
Priority Club's 'Friends & Family' rate keeps on working for discounted hotel stays

Comments

1. Yes, I know this is a duplicate of the post below!

I am testing to see if the Facebook and Twitter setting work!

Apologies for the inconvenience!

Other issues which are still in hand:

1. Ad boxes – there is a quick fix about to be implemented to get the right size ads in the boxes!
    2. E-mail list is not imported yet

(Thursday AM edit – both of the above issues are now fixed)

2. Welcome back! :)

3. Email works this time!

4. Ad boxes now fixed!

Facebook and Twitter now fixed.

Only issue left is importing the email list, but email subscribers will continue to get emails from the old blog site until it is fixed, so no one will miss anything.

The little logo which appears in your browser next to the address will also be changed later.

5. Phew, you’re back. H4P is back. This one happy bunny.

6. I like the new look. Getting ‘used to it’ takes no time at all, and as suggested, the ads are pretty unobtrusive – well done. Awaiting the new favicon… :)

7. Sean Brennan says:

The new site looks great! Looking forward to the post backlog!

8. What adds!

9. Coffeebean09 says:

It’s looking great. Well done and thanks for all the information over the last few months.

10. Site looks great and ads don’t bother me, however I suspect your monetisation will be limited with the 250 x 250 square ad. I’m surprised you didn’t go for the standard 300 x 250 MPU.

I work in advertising so let me know if you want any advice on the monetisation side.

• Hi. Yes, I agree, but the template is designed to work with 250-wide ads. I will see how it goes, and if necessary the theme should be tweakable to fit in a 300-wide ad. 250×250 is, I admit, not on the Adsense ‘preferred sizes’ list.

11. BicesterTerrier says:

Welcome back. Like the look, although funnily enough I don’t recall what the old one was like. It’s a fickle old world.

Looking forward to future posts!

12. Mobile view isn’t there, is that coming later?

• Yes, it is a Jetpack option but not yet enabled. Thought I’d get the main site working first!

• Cool, no worries!

Now I noticed I didn’t get the email notification of your reply – even though I had checked the option. Perhaps another thing to look into?

Also, will there be an option to register so we don’t have to type the name/email everytime?

• Hmmm. Thanks, I will look into this. I may have to get a different plug-in installed. Give me a bit of time.

• Odd, this time I got the notification. I also got an email after my reply to confirm subscription (it was a wordpress.com link). I went ahead and confirmed the subscription anyway, but not sure if it was meant to be this way? Are you still using wordpress (the software, not the host) for your blog?

• Yes, still WP software, so Gravatars still work, albeit the self hosted version is a bit different to the free hosting version.

• Right so I’m getting notifications just fine now, they are coming from donotreply@wordpress.com as before.

• Good stuff. I think things are still settling down a bit. The DNS changes are still not complete either … about 2% of visitors today have still been sent to the old site.

• The mobile view is back but with an annoying big sign up box to follow the blog. It can’t be dismissed and doesn’t always move out of the way, blocking content.

• Raffles says:

Yes, I turned on mobile view.

OK. You need to help me out on this as I don’t have a mobile which works with the mobile view option.

Is this the same black ‘Follow’ box which pops up in the bottom right corner when you view the blog on a normal PC?

• Yes – funny enough I didn’t notice it on the PC because it is really unobtrusive (and collapsed by default). However on mobile it is expanded (and doesn’t collapse even if you click the +).

• Raffles says:

OK, I will kill it tomorrow as a trial – will need to rethink if sign-ups tail off, though!

• I never saw it before on the mobile view, so wonder if it’s something you just need to get fixed?

• The black follow button is not part of self hosted WordPress – it is only part of the free hosting version.

However, someone has written a bit of code which can be added to self hosted WordPress to recreate it. Clearly, though, this bit of code was not tested properly with mobile view, and I cannot disable it just for mobile users.

That is why it acts differently to how it did before,

Will disable it this morning.

13. Welcome back loving the new site layout

14. trickster says:

Luma credit card ad – “the new card for poor credit” will you be reviewing this in your next credit card update?! 😉

Seriously though, new site is looking great, and the ad’s aren’t distracting. What’s more I can access it from work now!

• I have just activated the option to pre-approve ads, which will let me chop Luma, hopefully!

15. Raffles says: