Yesterday, a few people found a leaflet on their doormat from American Express entitled “Introducing The Perfect Companion To Your Platinum Card“.
Basically – and for reasons which are not fully clear to me – Amex would like Platinum charge card holders to apply for the Platinum credit card. And they will give you 3,000 Membership Rewards points if you do.
The deal is very simple:
- You need to have an Amex Platinum charge card to apply
- You must apply for the Platinum credit card via this website
- You must spend £500 within three months to receive the 3,000 Membership Rewards points
- On-going spend on the card earns 1 Membership Rewards point per £1
- There is no annual fee for the Platinum credit card
- You cannot keep the card if you cancel your Platinum charge card – you must retain both
It is also interesting to note that this card remains a secret card. It has not been featured on the Amex website for some years. Interestingly, I know of someone who asked about this card recently when cancelling his Platinum charge card and was told that it no longer existed!
The obvious question is whether you can apply for this card even if, like me, you didn’t get the mailshot from American Express. My gut feeling is yes, as long as you do have the Platinum charge card. (They ask for the number on the first page of the application form.)
All in all, I find this another odd strategic move by the boys in Brighton. Let’s see if this card becomes offered to the general public again.