Last chance for 1,860 easy Avios if you have a dormant Clubcard account

This Saturday, May 4th, is the day that Tesco Clubcard closes the book for the current quarter. Points must have hit your account by this date for you to receive them in the May mailing.

(Tesco in-store transactions take a couple of days to hit your account, so a purchase later than, say, today – Thursday – may not make it in time.)

I wrote recently about a bonus of 1,500 Avios points for setting up your Tesco account to auto-convert your Clubcard points to Avios. This auto-conversion bonus is discussed here. Since I wrote that piece, Avios has confirmed via Facebook that anyone will qualify for this bonus, whether or not they received the email.

Now, I usually do NOT recommend that you auto-convert your vouchers. The best tactic is to save the vouchers and wait for one of Tesco’s occasional Avios conversion bonuses.

Tesco Clubcard

However, if you only have a small balance, then as a one-off you may want to give this a go.

I have a large balance this quarter and do not want to auto-convert to Avios. However, I had a plan!

I have a dormant Clubcard with a zero balance on it, because it hasn’t been used in years. This is what I did:

I logged into this account and changed it to auto-convert to avios.com

I went to my local Tesco and bought £50 of retailer gift cards. This triggered 150 bonus Clubcard points under the ‘150 bonus points for buying £50 of gift cards’ promotion. 150 points is the minimum I need to have to trigger the 1,500 Avios points bonus.

This is a very nice deal.

I have bought £50 of gift cards which I can easily use. (You can of course also buy the Visa gift cards discussed on Tuesday and yesterday.) I received 150 Clubcard points (360 Avios points) for buying the gift cards. I will also receive a further 1,500 bonus Avios because I will be making the minimum 150 point transfer under auto-conversion.

If you want to give this a go, you probably want to pop into Tesco today. Any later and it is possible that the points won’t reach your account before the 4th May cut-off.

Remember that you need to set your Clubcard account to convert to avios.com and NOT British Airways! You can move the Avios across to BAEC later using ‘Combine My Avios’.

Win a whole BA plane to take you and 49 friends to Edinburgh!
Another BAA WorldPoints sign-up promotion launched

Comments

1. mrtibbs1999 says:

Is there any hint of a conversion bonus? I am going to have so many vouchers, I need to get them shifted soon!

2. Volker says:

“This Sunday, May 4th…” Unfortunately, that’ll be SATURDAY, so I really need to buy some gift vouchers today…

3. trickster says:

I might just do this. As I have all of our active and dormant Clubcard accounts registered in Award Wallet, I can easily use this to identify the one to use. Assuming I can find a physical card for it that is!

• You don’t need it. Log in to the Clubcard website and click on Order Replacement Card. You will see an option to print a replacement card, which you print off and which scans OK in store. Did this myself.

• I have tried to do this but the website only lets me take a print out of the active clubcard and none of the 3 others – anyone know if I need to call to be able to print those out?

• All the cards you see feed into the same Clubcard account, so you only need 1 card.

• James67 says:

Does this npt present a risk with your dormant account strategy? Isn”t it possible tesco might pool and convert from all accounts with same names at a single address? Or did you ensure these were unquestionably separate accounts?

• No, unlikely. They haven’t in the last 5 years. And very unlikely in the next week.

• trickster says:

Good call, I forgot about this feature – thanks.

4. Jovan says:

I just activated this auto-convert in my clubcard preferences.

I do have avios.com account, but I don’t think I have ever linked it with my clubcard one [always redeemed for BAEC] – do I need to set that somewhere first?

• idrive says:

Hello, just to confirm, can i get a new temporary card tonight and register it online in my name after shopping? I have some dormant cards but Tesco automatically merged them all into my main account and even with different logins, i get to the same homepage with the total of my point balance.therefore i can not use them.

One more thing, I tried to search yesterday but got no answer online: can i transfer points from AVIOS.com to BA for free? where can i do this? is there a limit? i see there is a limit of 24,000 when gifting…does it apply to transfer too? so, am i obliged to book a flight from AVIOS.com rather than merging the balance to the BAEX one? what if i want to upgrade ie. to business class with the avios.com points? Thank you!

• No, they find your avios.com account automatically, matching address and name.

5. AndyGWP says:

Apologies, this is a bit off topic, but I have the AMEX Preferred Gold Rewards card (and have done since approx. October last year).

Is it likely there will be a conversion bonus from my AMEX to Avios before I have to pay the renewal costs for the card in October?

Also, if a conversion bonus offer does come along, are you likely to mention it on here Raffles (or are the conversion bonus’ targeted?)

Thanks :)

• There may be one, and it may or may not be targetted!

I would mention it, though, even if targetted, so I could advise on whether it was good value.

• AndyGWP says:

Excellent – thanks :)

I have a perilous fear of missing it if mailed, just like I did with the AAdvantage offer secreted in the depths of their emails 😉

• I’m currently in a similar situation, been waiting for a conversion bonus but not had anything since I took the card out last May… My first year is up in a few days and the charge will hit on 25 May but Amex told me that I have 30 days after the charge hits to cancel for a full refund. So I should have until 24 June to convert my points without incurring even a partial charge. They also told me that points are wiped out at the end of the cancellation day, so make sure you move them first – there is no grace period!

• You could downgrade to the Green card, which is free, but there is an annual charge for Membership Rewards.

6. I have a dormand clubcard account too, but it’s merged in my main one, and If I try to print a replacement, It only prints the default one.

Plus even if I could print the dormant one, surely I dont have an option to only convert the points on the dormant clubcard and not the main one?

so unless you can pick up a clubcard today from a tesco store…I dont see how it can be done?

• You need a card which is not merged with your existing account. I have one of these, not sure why Tesco never picked it up.

• ah I see. kinda makes sense then. I suppose Tesco cannot provide an anonymous card instantly, which you can later register?

7. JBomb says:

Is there any other confirmation aside from the wee tick to confirm you have opted in for the 1,500 deal?

I notice the bonus is not advertised on Tesco cc website?

8. Idrive says:

Hello I need help, i disabled the automatic conversion into BAEX before 04/05 and now I do not see my points anywhere anymore. i am a bit confused, what’s going to happen with my balance? Are they going to issue some vouchers than I can then convert if there is a bonus conversion scheme? Shall i just wait for the May statement? Raffles, I am sorry, i did not know where to post this.

• All accounts have been zero’d, don’t panic! As you disabled the autoconvert, you should get postal vouchers in a fortnight or so.