New list of uninspiring Amex Platinum member events loaded on the website!

If you have an American Express Platinum charge card, you may be interested to know that the latest batch of ‘exclusive member events’ have been loaded onto the website (log-in required).

You will no doubt receive an email about them in the next day or so, but you could book now without any competition for them.

However, unfortunately, the deals are poor in my opinion.  I’m really not sure what Amex is playing at here.

Last year, they relaunched their Platinum events programme with some free eventsHere is my review of their evening at Berry Bros wine merchants.

Amex Platinum

Since then, ‘free’ has disappeared from their vocabulary.  Fair enough.  But there is still a difference between a fair price and a crazy price.

Take their Private View of the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy in June.  The Summer Exhibition is primarily a bit of fun in the art calendar, it is – by no means – on a par with a ‘blockbuster’ exhibition such as the Degas show last year.

A standard ticket to the Summer Exhibition is £10.  A ticket to the Amex Platinum Private View evening is a whopping £46 per person!  Unless they are serving Dom Perignon in unlimited quantities together with caviar canapés, I struggle to see the value in that.  (Knowing Amex, it will be some dodgy £7 prosecco!)  It is difficult to see this event as a special reward for my £450 Platinum membership fee.

To be fair, some of their other offerings with English National Opera and the Othello theatre evening are better priced (ie closer to the cost of a standard ticket).  However, MasterCard runs regular ‘meet the cast and have a free drink’ evenings for cardholders (see this website) and those are open to anyone with any MasterCard – no £450 membership fee required!  (I have also been to private James Morrison and Jessie J gigs courtesy of MasterCard in the last couple of years, which topped anything that Amex has ever offered me.)

So, again, Amex has failed again to offer an additional reason to justify the card fee.  There are also rumours of another Membership Rewards partner pulling out, as I will post about tomorrow.

20,000 SPG points (=25,000 Avios points) sign-up bonus back on the Starwood Amex!
Claim your £10 East Midlands Trains vouchers (meaning 'almost free' trains to Luton Airport)

We help business and leisure travellers maximise their Avios, airline miles and hotel points. Visit every day for three new articles or sign up for our emails via the box to your right.

Comments

1. jmittle@yahoo.com says:

That’s why I canceled this card and refuse to pay the £450 for their useless services. Anyone who thinks their dining, concierge or PTS is any good must also think this card is still prestigious which it is not.

2. The Lady says:

I can’t see the £450 stacking up; I get travel insurance through my HSBC Premier account, Priority Pass is easily purchased and in any event paying to eat in one of the nicer airport restaurants is often a nicer experience, Fine Hotels & Resorts scheme *is* valuable to me, but I’d rather just book a suite without being restricted to their hotels, and Virtuoso Travel Agents deliver the good for free.

3. Peter Taylor says:

Membership of the Royal Academy will set you back £90, and that will get you two free entries (member and guest) to the Summer Exhibition members preview on the three days before the exhibition opens, and previews of all of their exhibitions for a whole year. So £96 for two seems a touch steep.

4. Also these ‘offers’ are again just for London/SE, although it sounds like we’re not missing out on much this time…

Not good re MR partner – do we get a teaser as to which one? :-(

• David Butcher says:

Not good news at all. Guess it will be necessary to do another appraisal of the card’s value to me once I know which partner may be leaving. Rats and sinking ships spring to mind!!!!!!

• Don’t leave us hanging Raffles!! ;)

Losing another partner really would be terrible news, unless it’s someone like Le Club Accor, which is just a useless scheme.

But seriously – it is high team they started ADDING to the benefits of this card. I just got accepted for the Centurion card the other day, and all this is cause for concern.

To be clear – in my eyes anyway – the Plat card is NOT a prestige card. If the benefits received don’t amount to value greater than (or equal to) £450, I see no reason to have it at all. Especially when the lower Gold card offers double MRs on many transactions.

• David Butcher says:

The only special event I’ve ever been to with Amex was the recent Paloma Fath gig in London which was actually aimed at Platinum Cashback Credit Card holders rather than the Platinum Card which I have. I paid 3 x £30 for tickets but on entry got back 3 x £30 Amex gift cards which you could either keep or donate to the Warchild charity for whom the event was being staged. It was a great evening and I don’t want to sound ungrateful. I did have to smile though when I was reminded that the free copies of Paloma Faith’s CD being given out were for Platinum Cashback credit card holders only – the Amex rep didn’t seem over impressed when I flashed my £450 Platinum card at her – so much for being special. I won’t be churlish though – I knew this in advance and it was a great evening but it did leave me wondering just what the Amex platinum strategy is!

• I tried to get tickets to that, but they announced it when I was away and by the time I saw it they had gone. Did look like a good event for effectively £0 as long as you turned up. But as you say, it was aimed at Plat Cashback Credit Card holders! Theoretically there are meant to be follow up gigs to this one but I haven’t heard anything yet.

5. David Butcher says:

Apologies. I did of course mean Paloma Faith not Fath!!!!

• She is doing an SPG private gig in Vienna in September as well. 5k SPG points for a pair of tickets, plus of course you’d need 2 Reward Flight Saver redemptions to Vienna! There is a cocktail party included in the package as well.

6. tangey says:

Clearly the “other” rumoured MR rewards partner withdrawing from the program is Jumeirah hotels & resorts, as its already been announced to USA MR members effective August. Doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll happen here as each geographic area has its own partners, but it does make it likely. No big deal anyway, as the amount of MRs to get sufficent points in their program for a reward night @ the burj for example was something crazy like 200K. Only other thing was a free lunch or dinner for some points in some of their london hotels. Hardly an earth shattering removal if true.