£75 discount code for a £450 British Airways long-haul flight

British Airways is celebrating its sponsorship of the Taste of London 2013 restaurant festival in Regents Park (see my Taste of London post here on why you may or may not want to visit!) with a selection of discounts on flights to what they consider ‘culinary hotspots’.

Taste 2

What that means in plain English is that, until May 21st, you can save £75 per person on an Economy flight of £450 or more to the following destinations:

• Thailand
  • Mexico
  • India
  • China
  • Japan
  • Lebanon
  • Malaysia
  • Singapore

Slightly oddly, you cannot travel before 1st September 2013, and all travel must be completed by 31st March 2014.

The British Airways promotional code you need can be found here.

Win 20,000 Avios points by predicting the Eurovision winner!
'2 for 1' deal with Melia Hotels - ideal for a weekend in Spain

Comments

1. James67 says:

Thanks Raffles. I hope this works with their luxury seat sale. Does BA have pattern to their sales? Would like to book BAA PE to BKK bext May and MfU if possible. Best to wait for next sale or just reserve as booking window opens? Apologies for going off topic.

• Sir Stamford says:

Unless you are booking in World Traveller (economy), it won’t work.

Sir Stamford

• Chance of an MFU to Bangkok at time of booking is slim, I reckon you will need to book the seat and then hope to upgrade a few days prior to departure.

• James67 says:

Thx guys. I will wait to next sale and give it a try. May opt for HKG as there is usually more award availability. Usually I plan my travels a year in advance but for 2014 I think I will take a chance on waiting for another BA sale nearer the end of this year.

2. Another slight aside, I’m hoping to book 4 seats to Miami for early July 2014 using 2 241 vouchers. Would obviously like to get business or first, is it just a matter of logging on at midnight 355 days ahead. What’s the likely hood of finding the 4 seats? I realise I’ll book the outbound first then the return as the flights get released. Also a massive thanks to Raffles for sharing his expertise both here and on Paid to Shop.

• BA has been moving away from opening up seats at 355 days and then doing no more. It is becoming more of a dripfeed. You can get an idea of what opens up by checking now what they are releasing for 355 days time.

3. Pierre says:

Strange, I wonder why they have put Malaysia in the list, as I don’t see any direct flights on BA metal from LHR to KUL…and the voucher is only valid on those!

4. Just tried to book an economy (LHR – BOM) in Dec and got this msg
    TasteCFSZH05, may not be used when flying to this arrival point

5. R0Ck5TaR says:

On a slight variation to the topic, am just a newbie who has started collected AVIOS and looking at the various ways to maximize the use of them.

My query to the experienced expert users of the blog.

Is there any way to use avois on non BA destinations like eg, greece destinations part from Athens, like Santorini, Mykonos, etc. Similarly Turkey, Antalaya, Dalaman, etc. I guess you get my point.

I spent some time going through One world partners who fly to these destinations, though not direct.

I don’t mind connections in Europe , so long as the Reward Saver flights can be used on connections. Do they class as two separate award flights?

Any ideas?

Thanks

• This post http://www.headforpoints.com/2012/12/29/avios-redemption-university-lesson-4-reward-flight-saver/ gives a full overview of Reward Saver.

Unfortunately, Reward Flight Saver can only be used on British Airways flights. You will pay standard taxes if you use oneworld partners, although if the airline involved does not impose fuel surcharge (eg airberlin) the taxes will be low anyway.

Flights involving a connection are charged per leg, unfortunately. A connection is therefore best avoided if possible.

Remember that avios.com is also partners with Air Malta, Flybe and Monarch. You will not see these flights via the BA website but you can search for them at avios.com. Your Avios can be transferred from BA to avios.com using ‘Combine My Avios’ (under ‘My Account’ at ba.com) Full taxes payable, though.

You can also redeem on Vueling via Iberia Plus. You’d need to open an account there and then, again, transfer Avios across in order to book.

• R0Ck5TaR says:

Thanks

Thats interesting. Just tried Monarch for an eg 23 Sep 13,LGW- DLM, shows 10,000 Avios + £59 (Taxes,etc)

Same flight through Monarch direct, £57.49 + £26.50 ( Taxes, charges).

I can understand fares being different, just wondering about the difference in the taxes+charges through Avios compared to the airline direct. The taxes+charges was the same on other dates as well, as in remained £59 (Avios) and £26.50( Monarch)

Does that mean Avios are allowed to inflate actual taxes+charges ? Or rather the other way around….Monarch bringing it down artifically to compete?

• Taxes are a mystery, they basically make them up. Some stuff Monarch includes in the base fair (eg airport landing charges) may be included as a tax in the Avios calculation.

• That seems like a shocking bad case (and is making me wonder if it is correct). I would (as I will explain in a minute) sadly expect it to be distinctly higher, but probably not THAT much, although it could be.

Based upon a wide variety of Monarch experience via numerous sales channels, something close to the last thingt you said – Monarch have a number of tactics to inflate other sales channels.

I’ve various bits of evidence/experience over recent years that Monarch do seem to have fuel surcharges involved in their fares model *behind the scenes*, or they certainly have done as recently as 12 months ago.

But they don’t break them out separately for direct customers, so looking at the Monarch website you would never see them, they don’t do what some airlines do, and put them with the Taxes and Charges. Monarch seem to limit that to taxes and third party charges, leaving everything monarch related grouped as the fare/price elemnt. But there can be times when you need to pay the fuel surcharge.

Now it could be the nature of Avios.com’s access to Monarch seats (and fares/agreement), that they see the fuel surcharge coming through as a separate line item. Seeing it as a separate line item they group it (in common with BAEC and Avios.com policy) as a taxes and charges – on the reasoning that it is NOT the base fare, so you pay it.

Hope that makes sense, it is my best guess for what is probably happening. Not wrong exactly, just different policies colliding.

I’d suggest you compare total monarch cost, with total Avios.com cost (adding the taxes and your valuation of the Avios togehter). Unless you are seriously loaded in Avios points and cash poor, then obvioulsy you’d be mad to get rid of them at that value.

6. R0Ck5TaR says:

Thanks

Same flight through Monarch direct, £57.49 + £26.50 ( Taxes, charges).

7. tangey says:

just tried november flights to cancun “TasteCFSZH05, may not be used when flying to this arrival point”