2,000 Avios for £8.74 – another Head for Points deal !

2,000 Avios for £8.74 is not a bad deal!  And you don’t even need to leave the house for this one (should you be sick of visiting Tesco stores trying to find 3V cards ….).

You can even get something potentially more valuable for your £8.74, like a £20 Waitrose voucher.

Let me explain the deal

Mighty Deals is a daily deals site run by www.moneyexpert.com.  Money Expert is a price comparison website which owns Simply Switch amongst other things.

Until Monday, they are promoting this offer:

Shell promotion

The headline is misleading.

It looks like you are paying £10 for a £20 Shell fuel voucher.  However, when you read the small print, you are not.  You are paying £10 for a Shell Drivers Club membership card which comes pre-loaded with 4,000 points.

Now, you can – if you want – redeem those 4,000 Shell Drivers Club points for a £20 fuel voucher.  However, you can also redeem them for:

2,000 Avios points

£20 Waitrose voucher (note: Waitrose only, not John Lewis)

£20 to exchange for gift cards at your local Shell garage

How do I order?

Mighty Deals is available on Quidco (10%) and TopCashback (15%).  I used TopCashBack and it tracked at £1.26 (15% of the ex-VAT price) so your net cost is (£10 – £1.26 =) £8.74.  Remember that you can now transfer TopCashback money to Tesco Clubcard, so that £1.26 gets you 126 Clubcard points which gets you an extra 300 Avios.

(If you are not a TopCashback member, this link allows you to sign up under me for their ‘refer a friend’ promotion, for which I am grateful).

You will need to create an account at Mighty Deals before you can order.  They accept Visa or MasterCard but not Amex or PayPal.

Once you order, you receive an email saying that you will receive your Shell Drivers Club card in the next 10 days.

Once you have registered your Shell Drivers Club card and set your earnings preference to Avios, your 4,000 points should transfer across at the end of the next quarter, which is 30th June.

If you select the Waitrose vouchers instead, you will also have to wait until 30th June for those to be issued.

What if I already have a Shell Drivers Club card?

I don’t know, to be honest.  Frankly, the Shell Drivers Club website is antiquated and is unlikely to spot or block duplicate accounts.  I have gone ahead and ordered with no worries.

The deadline for ordering this deal is Bank Holiday Monday.

PS.  Mighty Deals has, looking online, had issues in the past because it sold deals offered by merchants who were ‘dubious’.  You should bear this in mind, but also remember that Money Expert (the parent) is a respectable business.  Shell is also clearly a respectable partner.   Bearing this in mind, I still feel happy to promote this deal.

Up to £100 in Marks & Spencer vouchers when booking with Hotels.com
3,000 bonus Virgin miles available if I refer you for the Virgin Atlantic credit cards

Comments

1. Idrive says:

I got my cards today, do you know how to transfer the points from one shell card to the other one without selecting AVIOS or BA or a reward? my gf has no avios account nor BA. any idea that works?
    thanks

2. Bialynia says:

I got my card in the post a couple of days ago, registered it, and it appears that they have automatically merged it with my existing Drivers Club account, no sign of the 4000 points on the account though. I’d have thought those would be added once the account was live, or has no one else had there’s yet either?

• KimJoi says:

Received my Drivers Club card yesterday, register it in the morning today (31 May 2013) …

Early evening now (31 May 2013), point balance showing 4050.

• Mine is screwed up.

Do NOT do NOT do NOT register your new card with the same email as an existing Drivers Club card. You will get nothing.

• Bialynia says:

Too late for me. Guess I’ll be emailing them!

• Simon85 says:

Mine is screwed too. Shell have merged my new card with my existing account, and the only points I have showing are the 273 points I already had. I’ve already fired an email off to them.

• I used a different email address and they still merged my 2 accounts into one….
          The current card balance only shows the balance from the old card.

However, on account details, I can click on different card numbers, if click on the new card it does show a transaction of 4000 points, so I am hoping they should be able to sort this out quickly.

• Simon85 says:

When investigating further I too found a 4000 point transaction under my new card, which did not show on my main account balance. It now shows as “transfer out” -4000 points. I’m hoping therefore that either it will transfer across to my main drivers club account or Shell have already redeemed 2000 avios for me.

• Bialynia says:

They won’t exchange for Avios till end of June so like you I’m hoping they’re in the process of withdrawing from one account and paying it into the other, seems a bit strange it’s not instantaneous, even most interbank transfers are these days.

• Simon85 says:

They have done before with other offers I have redeemed, so you may be surprised!

• AndyWP says:

Hey Raffles – did you sort this out? I was looking at posts here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=61601021#post61601021 where people have registered to the same email address account, and it indicates that over the space of around 24 hours, it has ‘auto-merged’ the points collection together :)

• I fired off an email, but as the helpline only runs Mon-Fri I doubt they answer emails over the weekend. Not work panicking over, though, especially as vouchers / Avios not triggered until 30th June anyway.

• Has worked fine for me too. Did not have a Shell account already so there wasn’t a risk of that happening.

3. AndyWP says:

So there’s no definitive route of “first time” success for existing cardholders? I’m hoping to transfer mine over to Avios but looks like it’s bound to go wrong!!! :/

4. Michael says:

As per the above I’m hoping its transferring them to my main account but not sure why its not instantaneous

31/05/2013 Point transfer – -4000
    30/05/2013 Central points – 50
    29/05/2013 Central points – 4000

5. simon85 says:

My balance now shows 4113 points. So they will transfer your points in to an existing account, just not instantaneously.

6. Sinizter says:

Is there still a problem with registering the card to an existing Shell Clubsmart email address or has that been sorted now ?

Me + rest of household received the cards today, but I have not registered any yet.

• Mine has sorted itself out. They will merge your 2 accounts automatically, neither will show the 4000 points when you can first access them and then 48 hours later they will turn up.

Actually you get 4050 points. So, if doing Waitrose, switch back to Avios in July and those 50 points will go to Avios in October.

• Sinizter says:

Thanks. That’s a relief. I’ll register the cards one by one over the next week or so.

7. thesaver79 says:

Do you know if you can transfer points to another card that is under somebody else’s name?

Alternatively, can I specify a BA Executive club number that is not under the same name of the shell driversclub’s cardholder name?

• You can register the Shell card under anyones name, so if you want to send the Avios to someone else then register it in their name in the first place.

No idea if you can send the Avios to a different name to the one registered on the Shell account.