1,000 bonus Avios for Tesco conversion now extended to avios.com AND BAEC

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote this post which described a new Tesco / British Airways promotion.  British Airways is offering 1,000 bonus Avios if you convert at least £5 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers to British Airways Executive Club and you have not done a similar conversion since 29th April 2012.

Since most Head for Points readers convert to BA, this promotion was not hugely useful.

A second version has now appeared, though.

Avios Tesco promotion

Avios.com is also offering 1,000 bonus Avios if you convert £5 or more of Tesco vouchers to avios.com before 30th June and you have not done a similar conversion since 29th April 2012.

If you usually convert your Clubcard vouchers to ba.com, you may want to have second thoughts this quarter.  Why not send them to avios.com instead?  You will need to open an account at avios.com if you don’t already have one, but this can be done very quickly.  As soon as your Avios have posted, you can move them to British Airways via ‘Combine My Avios’.

Full details can be found here.

(Want to boost your Clubcard points?  Click here and scroll down to the Clubcard logo to see our list of current promotions.)

What is the best Avios credit card? (Part 1: comparing sign-up bonuses)
Up to £100 in Marks & Spencer vouchers when booking with Hotels.com

Comments

1. James HD says:

Do you think you can get BOTH ba and avios promotions?

2. Can’t post on the 1500 bonus for Auto convert thread so I hope its OK here… If anyone is still waiting for the Auto convesion points to post to your Avios account you may have to contact Avios. I know of 4 people who signed upto auto convert for the first time and Tesco sent the points to Avios as EG J Smith and not the full name John Smith named on the Avios account . Avios then opened a new acount in the name of J Smith . A call to Avios got the cards merged..

• Im still waiting for the auto convert points to add. It was my first conversion and ive had no notification of a new avios account being set up though. Maybe I should contact them.

Also I recently opened an avios Lloyds TSB Duo cc. Any idea how long after your first statement these points should post?

• No notification was received. A friend contacted Tesco who said the points were sent to Avios on the 12th May, He then contacted Avios and was told that a new account had been set up using his initial not his first name

• Keith Ip says:

Just got the Lloyds duo card too. My end of month bill is the 13th and looks as though the avios was in my account a couple of days after

3. Jabrams72 says:

Is there any reason to convert more than £5 here? Given that it’s a fixed bonus, seems the same whether you convert 5 or 500.

4. I have already converted 5 pounds worth of voucher on tesco just now – what concerns me is that it doesn’t even ask for my avios account number? How would they know where the avios are going to?

• It is automatic, they match name and address

• Raphael says:

Hmm, this could be annoying as we collect clubcard points as a family (makes it easier when redeeming for other rewards as cannot combine from multiple accounts to buy things). However I’m the only one who collects Avios.
        Would they cause me problems if I changed the account to my name temporarily for a couple of weeks?

• I had this same concern – especially since Tesco CC transfers into BAEC do ask for your account number.

I made a CC avios.com transfer about 2 days ago and the points have shown in my avios.com account today.

• Oh wow! thanks that’s very good to know indeed

• has the bonus 1000 avios reached at the same time as the 1200avios or is it only 1200 avios which has arrived just for the moment

5. Don’t suppose there is any news on a conversion bonus this year? I would have expected to have one by now. I just hope these small bonuses aren’t replacing the annual bonus!

6. Are Tesco conversion bonuses usually to BAEC or Avios.com?

I guess my question is, if I were to benefit from this 1000 avios bonus to one now, would I still be eligible for any conversion bonus that comes up soon? Or would any limit on eligibility be imposed by tesco rather than BAEC/Avios.

• Bonuses tend to be for both schemes, which makes sense given the ease of converting across one to the other.

• Hmm… My position is that I have never converted from Tesco to either BAEC or Avios. I currently have about £150 worth of CC points and have been holding off for a conversion bonus. Would it be best for me to just avios this bonus in case it subsequently prevents me from benefiting from a future conversion bonus?

7. AndyGWP says:

I feel stupid, but to clarify re: the Tesco –> BA Avios offer you posted previously and also reference in the article; I’ve never converted from Tesco Clubcard to BA Avios (though I have converted to normal Avios).

Does that make me elligible for the Tesco –> BA Avios bonus offer?

I hadn’t really differentiated between the two previously :/

I think (and hope) the answer is yes, but just wanted someone to confirm :)

Thanks

• Squire says:

I’m in the same boat. Converted to avios.com when the august bonus was on last year. Can I get the BA bonus now?

I did get an email from BAEC saying I could get 1000 for a £5 clubcard conversion though.

And another question…are these bonuses one per household?

• Yes, it does.

8. idrive says:

I feel a bit stupid…how to exchange the voucher from Clubcard to Avios?

I went through exchange and rewards-> avios, selected 5£ added to basket, Clubcard checkout, Tesco confirming the address for delivery ??

then Order Summary, Select your Clubcard vouchers ….review and confirm order??
    what am I ordering?

they could have done it more complicated!! is this the correct procedure? thanks

• Yes, that’s the procedure. You don’t put your Avios number in, they match up your name and address automatically.

9. idrive says:

@Andy, I did not notice i duplicate your feeling of being stupid :-)

Yes, there is a difference

you can convert directly to:
    -Avios->avios.com
    -BA->Ba.com/Executive club
    if you check in your Clubcard preferences you will see the optiions.

I used to have automatic conversion to BA before, then switched off last quater and now received vouchers on Clubcard which I want to switch to get the 1000 bonus.
    As said, i find the conversion from Clubcard voucher to avios.com complicated!

In your case, you might enjoy the double bonus as Raffles already replied above

“Raffles says:
    May 23, 2013 at 9:05 am
    Yes, don’t see why not (assuming you’ve not converted to either in past year)”

10. So wait, I’m still not clear. If I were to go for this bonus 1,000 avios now to either BAEC or Avios.com. Should a CC conversion bonus come along in the near future, would I be able to take advantage of it for the OTHER scheme than the one I used for this bonus?

I know this is a hypothetical question but is any limitation be enforced on the Tesco side (i.e. you have recently converted CC points TO Avios.BAEC) or on the BAEC/Avios side (i.e. you have recently converted FROM CC to us).

Surely if the limit wasn’t on the Tesco side then you could take this bonus and if a conversion bonus comes along simply convert to the opposite scheme…
    If that makes sense!

• To be honest, only once can I remember a transfer bonus which was restricted to first time transferers. In general, like the Virgin one last quarter, they are not restricted. Doing this 1k promo is unlikely to block you from anything later.

11. idrive says:

Raffles, last quater I had BAEX autoconvert and disabled it to get vouchers instead, on 4th May.
    Reading and reading again what you wrote…does it mean I can apply to both BAEX bonus and Avios bonus NOW? so far I though it meant: “if you had not EVER converted in the past”.

• By ‘ever’ they mean ‘since 29 April 2012’. It seems you have done a BA conversion so you can’t get that bonus. However, you would still get the avios.com bonus if you have an account there and haven’t converted in a year.

12. idrive says:

right, 29/04/2012! I am so stressed out, read 2013! thank you!!

13. Bialynia says:

I went for the BAEC bonus offer the other day and the 1200 Avios for the exchanged £5 in clubcard points were added to my account but there’s no sign of the 1000 Avios bonus. Has this been everyone else’s experience? If so I’ll just wait patiently.

14. Silly question. I’m new to Tesco clubcard, well I have one, but purely for these offers.

£5 of clubcard points. Is that the same as 500 clubcard points?

I have a whole bunch of 25 point vouchers to use. Hoping to do a big shop and use these along with my double points voucher to rack up enough for these bonus points. Will my plan work, or am I missing something?

Cheers

• Yes, references to £5 of points means 500 points.

However ….

1. The 25 point vouchers you have received will, once used, not be turned into Clubcard vouchers until August when the next set of statements is posted out. You won’t be able to take advantage of this 1,000 Avios promotion as it will have finished by August.

2. Double points coupons only double base points. They do not double coupons.

15. I have signed up for an avios account (having used the Tesco/BAEC route before) but I am unable to “find” the offer on either website.
    Do I need to click through the advert or will I still get the bonus if I make a £5 transfer in the usual way?
    Thanks

16. I think I’ll chance £5 worth to see if I get this. I have transferred CC to BAEC in the last week but have never transferred to Avios. So… if I transfer over now, they will automatically open me an Avios account and then at a later date I can merge those points into my BAEC?

17. Confused_Person! says:

I’m quite confused. Is there a material difference between transferring “vouchers” online as opposed to transferring Clubcard Points?

I have 600 CC Points, but zero vouchers, and frankly can never work out how one comes by the vouchers.

Does this promotion only work if you transfer CC points to BA Avios as well as transfering CC vouchers to BA Avios?

• Idrive says:

HI Confused_Person,

you gain Cubcard points with your everyday shopping and you can see them growing on the receipt at the till or online (see current points on your CC account).
      At the end of the collecting period (last closed on 4th May) they get converted to vouchers, unless you selected autoconvert to Avios or BAEX miles or Christmas Savers. If you already autoconvert, you will not get vouchers. I used to autoconvert so my points were transferred automatically to BAEX . Last time in March, i decided to opt out from autoconvert and received 3 voucher at home (and online) after May 4th, which i now can swap as I prefere or keep them sitting on the account hoping that there will be some kind of promotion in the future (conversion bonus, ie 20% more avios or similar) . I took advantage of this last promotion and swapped 5£ worth of vouchers and I now have £10 pounds worth of vouchers which i did not exchange.
      Hope this clarifies.

• I wrote an introductory post on Tesco earning here http://headforpoints.com/2012/06/09/collecting-avios-from-tesco/

18. Confused_Person! says:

Thanks Idrive & Raffles.
    So I that explains why I didn’t / don’t have any vouchers in my account.
    I think I get the conversion process now too.

I was under the (wrong) impression it was possible to convert CC Points and CC Vouchers, but the only CC Points that are exchangeable are those going through as ‘auto-convert’. Everything else has to first get changed into vouchers and only once they’re in voucher format can they be spent…seems a bit bureaucratic to be honest.

19. We have a BAEC household account – one of the members has had Tesco conversations within the past year, the other has never had a Tesco conversion credited.

Worth trying £5 CC points to the account that has never had a conversion?

• Yes, it should work – although Tesco may reject the transfer if the surname doesn’t match.

• One potential area of complication given my wife has a different surname, however she’s currently down as the main card holder (which we did last year to transfer some CC points to her avios.com account) and I want to transfer to her BAEC account, so should work.

Incidentally I’m now down as the affiliate card-holder on the CC account due to our having a shared interest as she has a supplementary Tesco credit card on my account. I wonder if I could register a separate Clubcard in my own name without them being merged?