Tesco has lost the auto-convert Avios transfers – that’s why you’ve not got your miles

It would be funny if it wasn’t for the fact that you will now have to get on the telephone and sort it out!

Last month, Tesco ran a promotion offering 1,500 bonus Avios points if you converted your Clubcard points to Avios AND set your account to auto-convert.

I did this. It was an easy 1,500 Avios for nothing, as you can easily turn off the auto-convert feature afterwards.

Tesco, unfortunately, made a big mistake.

Tesco

When it sent the list of auto-convert names to Avios, they were formatted as Initial/Surname. They were meant to be formatted as First Name/Surname.

This meant that the names failed to match up with the Avios database.

This meant they couldn’t find your Avios account.

This meant that most people (perhaps everyone) who selected auto-convert have had a new Avios account opened for them, even though they already have one.

I don’t know if Avios or Tesco are going to manually go through the names or not. At the moment, all you can do is ring Avios and ask them to find your duplicate account. They will then merge it with your main account. Avios is aware of the problem and the agents can deal with it quickly, although it will take 24 hours to merge the accounts.

Do NOT ring them on the main 0844 number because you are then paying them via a premium rate for their own mistake. Ring the non-UK number instead, which is 01925 848 693, and keep pressing 1 to confirm that you are ringing from outside the UK. You appear to queue jump with this number as well.

Flybe confirms the sale of its Gatwick landing slots to easyJet for £20m
What is the best Avios credit card? (Part 2: on-going earning rates)

Comments

1. shorthauldad says:

I think Avios.com can resolve this kind of thing via webchat, so no need to use the phone :)

• I did, by the way, ask Tesco via Twitter for a comment on this. I was promised a reply by the end of yesterday but nothing turned up.

2. Spoke to Avios at length this morning. It seems that not everyone (inc. me, although they confirmed that I am eligible) has had the bonus (in the duplicate account) confirmed by Tesco yet – apparently Tesco are doing this in waves of communication with Avios. All should be completed by 31 May.

So drill is to phone up ASAP to get all your Avios accounts merged (I had three – one normal, one set up by Tesco, and another set up by Shell), but if you then still have not received the bonus 1500 by 31 May, you need to get back on Avios’ case and they will follow it up with Tesco.

• Yes, I am a little concerned about my 1500 bonus ever arriving now as well! Although I haven’t heard of anyone getting the 1500 ‘first time auto-convert’ bonus to post yet.

• I also spoke to Avios this morning.

As previously noted It seems that not everyone has had the bonus (in the duplicate account) confirmed by Tesco yet

All should be completed by 31 May, so I was advised to check again after 1 June.

3. In the long term having more than one Avios account could be useful for any future bonus conversions.

4. James67 says:

Thx, just sorted mine via online chat but agent told mr bonus points will not be credited until end of month.

5. The_Pope says:

If you get a message that says “the number you have dialed is for customers calling from outside the UK. Please redial using 0844…”

Just put 141 in front of the number and call 01925 848 693 and their poxy system won’t be able to detect that you’re calling from the UK and you’ll go straight through.

Handy if you’ve got a “free UK evening calls” plan on your landline :)

6. Robert says:

Well after reading this I contacted Avios via web chat and the helpful agent couldn’t find a duplicate account and suggested I contact Tesco. I spoke with Club Card and it appears my points never got transferred to Avios so they have put them back onto my Club Card. Will have to wait for another offer to come along.

7. flyforfun says:

Wouldn’t it be easier if Tesco got people to enter their BAEC/Avios account numbers instead of relying on a database match up working? It isn’t that hard to cut and paste your account number into the Tesco screen is it?

Had a similar thing happen to me with MBNA when I opened an AAdvantage card. Told them to sort it out as it was there fault not mine. They wanted me to contact AAdvantage and do it. Complained and got some compensation.

8. Thanks for the heads up. I sorted mine out via online chat this morning, and the points are already in my account approximately 3 hours later. I was told the same as everyone else regarding the bonus – it should arrive by 31 May.

9. Speedbird_abz says:

Bit of a palaver, just been asked to scan a copy of my passport to merge my two accounts, but she hasn’t said if my Tesco points and bonus are there anywhere.

• Call again, a friend tried online chat and was told to do this ( although she wanted passport AND drivers licence scaned), tried another agent and the accounts were merged

• R0Ck5TaR says:

Same here, asked to send an email with scanned copy of Passport. Upon insisting on reasons, the agent explained further, saying the duplicate accounts have just initials and surname , with address details and no date of birth being transferred. And as per data protection policy they need date of birth on both accounts to confirm it belongs to the same individual to merge them.

Sounds like bit of a hit and miss.

Wondering if it , may not be such a bad thing after all, having mutiple accounts. Maybe use them for potential conversion/sign up bonuses?!?

Any thoughts…..?

10. Moore1984 says:

Used live chat to find and combine. No issues. Conversion bonus due 31 May.

11. danksy says:

None of my avios have appeared yet from Tesco :-S

12. ringingup says:

I just called them and they sorted everything out for me. They say that the 1500 avios bonus hasn’t been sent through yet and that it’ll be sent separately by Tesco.

13. guesswho2000 says:

Mine wasn’t showing any separate accounts apparently, so they advised to hold on until after 31/5 to see if they turn up. I transferred all the Avios straight out into BAEC as soon as they posted, so hope that doesn’t affect anything!

14. Washing Up says:

What’s to stop Tesco just sending through the details again, but including the fields they need?

15. Heather says:

I’ve been told to wait for 30 days. Mine have hit my account, but my husbands haven’t and there are no duplicate accounts.

16. Gordon says:

i just spoke with avios and they found the two auomtated tesco transfers that I set up. I had the minimum amount in each to qualify, which was 150 tesco. Thus far they have only credited me with 360 avios for each account. They said the 1500 bonus will be added at a later date. Has anyone else experienced this?

17. Thanks for this info, was getting worried!