Should I pay €99 to rent a Porsche 911 at Frankfurt’s First Class Terminal next week?!

I have a Swiss First Class flight to Boston lined up very soon, lucky me. However, my day will actually start in Frankfurt and – as I am flying Swiss First Class on the same day – I will be able to visit the Lufthansa First Class Terminal again (review here)!

There is now a great new benefit available to anyone who visits the First Class Terminal in Frankfurt – you can rent a Porsche 911 or Porsche Panamera for 3 hours for €99!

Porsche deal

This is potentially the craziest First Class perk that I have ever seen!

It has also one of the craziest lines of small print:

“Please note that at least two credit cards, one of which must be gold, have to be provided as security for the reservation. In addition you must have held a driver’s licence for three years and be at least 25 years old.”

Full details can be found here. If you like the sound of this, the cheapest Lufthansa First Class redemption would be a one-way to Dubai (I think) which would require 62,500 Miles & More miles.

Lufthansa does NOT release First Class seats to other Star Alliance partner airlines until 2 weeks before departure – although you’d need fewer miles booking via a partner. Swiss may be more generous, so using another Star Alliance partner and booking Frankfurt to Zurich to Dubai – with Zurich to Dubai in First – would also qualify.

Austrian does not have First Class so you can ignore the reference to them unless you are a HON Circle member, which you’re not! (You effectively need to live on Lufthansa planes to reach HON Circle status!)

Enter by midnight for your chance to win 5,000 Avios in our competition!
Miles & More credit card sign-up bonus raised to 6,500 miles

We help business and leisure travellers maximise their Avios, airline miles and hotel points. Visit every day for three new articles or sign up for our emails via the box to your right.

Comments

1. sandgrounder says:

As a a City type I thought you’d have a couple in the garage anyway! It’s a good perk actually, better than sitting in the lounge on a long layover, regardless of how luxurious it is.

2. Dont thinknyou will have anybproblem with the credit cards

3. sandgrounder says:

The gold card requirement made chuckle. I presume it still means something in Germany.

4. Wozza2404 says:

If this was free I’d think about it, but bear in mind I drove a Ferrari around Silverstone for £99 on one of these Groupon deals a couple of years ago; I think I’d rather do that than sit in FRA traffic for 3 hours in a Porsche. Most likely sat next to 4 other Porches, as they’re pretty much government issued in Germany.

Not for me, this one. YMMV, though.

5. What's the Point says:

An experience I will never forget, is driving at 140 mph on the Autobahn in Germany and still getting overtaken by other cars.
    If you have the time, give it a blast.
    Otherwise, stay in the lounge and keep on eating!

• creampuff says:

Driving at 140mph and overtaking marked police cars without getting pulled does take some getting used to.

6. Do it! (Unless you have one in the garage at home!)

Its a fun way to reach your £10k foreign spend target on the PCR Black…!

7. The gold card requirement is funny. Although perhaps it’s to weed out passengers like the free op-ups, etc.

8. guesswho2000 says:

One of which must be gold? I assume my Platinum card wouldn’t be good enough then!!

9. Which day are you flying next week Raffles? Looking forward to my first FCT visit next Thursday, plan on spending a few hours there to make the most of the experience.

10. Frenske says:

Only 1500euro excess. It is a bargain! NOT!

• That excess is fine as long as you pay on an Amex Plat.

Will a card considered above gold like the above mentioned Amex Plat, or the Diamond Club plus credit card (probably the best credit card in the world!) by accepted in lieu of gold? I personally don’t have any gold credit cards.

• Im trying to remember but German CC’s aren’t really issued into colours other than gold or blue

Amex plat would cover the excess as you mentioned, the only problem is the excess KM charge

11. sandgrounder says:

The 24hr deal at the bottom of the ad for EUR249.60 inc 200km is a bit better, might make for a good weekend.

12. Gold Card requirements might be more meaningful for some people from further afield.

The Japanese Government lowered it’s restrictions on Chinese tourists a year or two back; one of the requirements being that they had to hold a “Gold Credit Card”. It think it’s just that certain “Gold Cards” have higher income requirements than other credit cards, at least in some places of the world.