Is there an Avios Recycling arbitrage available on ipad minis?

(EDIT, August 2014 – Avios Recycling has now been closed down by Avios)

Reader Pier dropped me a line to point out the Avios prices currently being paid by Avios Recycling for an iPad mini.

As you can see here, they are offering 15,550 Avios for the basic 16gb iPad mini.

Now, over on ebay, these are currently available from Argos Outlet for £223.  Apple also has reconditioned models on its website for a few pounds more.

ipad mini

Even at the headline price, £223 for 15,550 Avios is 1.43p per Avios, which is cheaper than buying them from BA.  However, if you can find a used or reconditioned iPad mini for less than this, then the deal gets even better.  You may also be able to get Quidco or TopCashback cashback if you bought from Apple or Argos (I haven’t checked the rules on whether this would qualify).

Perhaps there is nothing here at all – but creative minds may be able to make it work.  If you had a VAT registered business, for example, you could reclaim the VAT on the purchase which would bring down your initial price sharply.

Back in the Lufthansa First Class terminal
New Clubcard Perk - discounted airport parking and hotels

Comments

1. Mrtibbs1999 says:

The Galaxy S4 gets 31,000 Avios. It can be bought for £380 on eBay. That’s 1.22p per avios. As for the VAT, i’d maybe risk it with one, but any more is asking for a bollocking.

2. 21h21j says:

Unless you are desperate for avois this is a bad deal. There’s plenty of other opportunities to earn avois at a better rate.

• Colin A-B says:

Can you share the other examples please, as I’d like to earn Avios at a lower rate than that?

• Luckyjim says:

Well, I could tell you about my brilliant scheme but you would have to get all the other people who read this blog to look away.

• Agreed, it is not astounding – but it is a lot of Avios in one hit, so if you could find someone selling off an ipad mini for under 200 pounds someone who needed the points would find it useful.

3. Raffles, I’m no expert but I’d be careful of recommending that people claim back the VAT on something that is clearly not intended to be used in a business.

• Sinizter says:

If the device can be used in a business, I don’t see any concern in buying it through a business. If the device is assessed and found unsuitable to be used in that particular business, it needs to be disposed of responsibly – whether by resale or other methods. Recycling it via this scheme counts.

If someone were to buy multiples of these devices through a business with the sole intent to recycle them, they could get in trouble, but I don’t really see Raffles recommending that in this post.

• I agree, that was not necessarily a sensible comment. Although, of course, anyone with a business big enough to be charging VAT is presumably sensible enough already.

• Sir Stamford says:

Sorry Raffles, you don’t have to be a big business to be charging VAT these days.

The threshold for VAT registration is only £79k over a 12 month period, which isn’t exactly a very high turnover requirement. Moreover, HMRC allows for voluntary registration under certain circumstances.

Sir Stamford

• I know the number :-) What I meant is that your average hairdresser, plumber (non London :-) ) would not be hit. When I was running a business as a teenager it was a lot lower, the threshold was increased well above inflation to give small traders leeway.

4. Mottelgamzol says:

How can I BUY an iPad with avios?