Discount code for £5 off £40 Amazon spend when you pay with American Express

(EDIT, 8th December 2013:  This code is actually now even better, as Amazon changed the deal to £5 off £20!  See my later post here:  http://www.headforpoints.com/2013/12/08/amazon-5-off-code-is-now-5-off-20-and-still-working/ )

Here is a very nice little deal which will come in handy in the run up to Christmas – although I would take advantage ASAP because there is a quota.

Amazon is offering a £5 discount on a £40 purchase when you use code AMEX5OFF in the ‘Gift Cards & Promotional Codes’ box at check out.

Amazon offer

There are few restrictions:

This offer is open to all American Express Cards with the exception of American Express Gift Cards and Prepaid products. The code must be used for a single order and is valid for one time usage only. Offer cannot be used towards the purchase of baby items, ebooks and Gift Certificates. Offer is limited to first 12,000 American Express Cardmembers.

If you are entitled to rewards points on your American Express Card, such as Membership Rewards® or frequent flyer points, you will only receive those points on the value of the qualifying transaction minus the Offer (for example the qualifying transaction is £40 and the offer is £5 credit, you will only get points on £35 of that transaction).

This offer is restricted to the first 12,000 customers.  It started on 30th October, although as it has not been widely promoted yet you should be OK for a few days.

Whilst the rules are not clear, I think that ANY Amex card is OK, whether or not it is issued directly by American Express.

Note also these additional rules:

Offer only applies to items purchased and dispatched from Amazon.co.uk at the website www.amazon.co.uk. It does not apply to purchases made from Amazon’s Warehouse Deals, from third-party sellers at Amazon.co.uk’s Marketplace platform (i.e., purchase of items that are sold on the website www.amazon.co.uk by third parties) or at any of Amazon.co.uk’s Trusted Partner sites, or from Amazon.com, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it, Amazon.es, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.cn, Amazon.com.br or Amazon.ca.

Offer is available only to customers located in and with billing addresses in the United Kingdom who have an American Express card associated with their Amazon.co.uk account or add an American Express card as an additional payment option on the select a payment method page. If for any reason your American Express card is inactive, denied or ineligible, you will not be able to use the Code.

You can visit Amazon here – this is our affiliate link which pays Head for Points a small commission when you order, for which I am grateful.

Earn double or triple Avios points with Hyatt stays
British Airways e-store relaunched as the Gate 365 online shopping mall

Comments

1. phreegreens says:

Good spot, tks. Raffles. Code has just worked using my BA Amex, on a £43 order via your affiliate link. Free money, I was going to order these items for a b’day present anyway this morning, so timing excellent.

2. Thanks, just ordered some Xmas pressies. Commission coming your way as a thank you 😉

3. Code just worked with BMI Amex. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Mr Bridge says:

stocked up at amazon with gift card redeeming 3v!

5. Would this work in combination with Black Friday offers!?

6. Thanks for this, nice saving for a xmas present!

7. New Tesco Wine Code: XXFFGF just released, 1000 CC points, snag: £100 spend required, 1 per person. Upside is free delivery, not as good as the recent £60>1000 points – but nice to see a good points allocation.

8. Off topic, but avios have a stand at Liverpool street station giving out avios I won 2000

9. Just used to buy Kindle Paperweight, via your link! Thanks for this information :)

10. Thanks. Affiliate link and code duly used.

11. Don’t forget to try Flubit.com first as they may, or may not, offer a better deal than the GBP5 off.

• Flubit used to be better when they accepted paypal (so could use Amex) but now they only take Visa/Mastercard.

Also they can’t compare to shopping baskets, only individual items.

Flubit used to be so much better when they claimed to beat ANY internet site, not just Amazon.

12. pazza2000 says:

I wonder if this £5 discount would work if part paying by Amex / Giftcard? Still have some x£25 cards left over from the Shell 4S promo earlier this year.

• Rules don’t say you must pay with Amex, only that you must have one in your Amazon profile ….

• pazza2000 says:

Great, on that basis I can outright pay (vs. part pay) with giftcards and still enjoy the discount.

• Keith Jenner says:

I had a £30 gift card balance and I bought something costing £60 so the Amex part was only £30.

Code worked fine.

13. I can’t seem to get this code to work on anything I want …

• Same here. I ordered the kid’s Christmas presents last week, so I don’t think I ahve £40 worth of Amazon-sold stuff on Amazon I want to buy!

14. Thanks, it worked for me, I used a gift certificate I purchased via your link the other week to pay for the full amount. Ended up being 25p short of £40 so had to throw in a 29p bar of soap!

15. I used the AMEX5OFF earlier today and required Amex card for payment. Worked fine.
    Just tried to order again , but code refused even with a different Amex card on same Amazon account.
    Tried another persons’ account with Amex card and worked fine.
    Seems like the code only works once per Amazon account.

16. creampuff says:

Just used it, although I got overexcited and ordered £50 worth of stuff even after the discount.

Damn you Amazon, your clever promo codes got me to spend too much again!!!!!

17. squillion says:

Still working, Sorry Raffles I forgot about your link, will try & do better next time 😉

18. Still working today