Earn 5,000 Avios points for 2 Marriott stays!

The Marriott hotels group (which includes Ritz-Carlson, Marriott, Courtyard, AC Hotels, Autograph, Renaissance and other brands) has launched a very generous promotion for new members – 5,000 Avios points for every two stays, up to a maximum of 50,000 Avios!

The promotion is called MegaMiles 2014.

MegaMiles

It is ONLY valid for new members of Marriott Rewards.  If you already have an account, you may want to consider opening a second one at a different address for the purposes of this promotion – although you will not receive any status benefits for these stays, of course.

The promotion is very simple:

You need to join Marriott Rewards via this link

You need to set your account to receive airline miles instead of earning Marriott points.  Whilst most Head for Points readers will want Avios, you can select any of the airlines that Marriott partners with.

You will receive 5,000 bonus Avios points after every 2nd stay, on top of the base Avios earned

You can earn a maximum of 50,000 bonus Avios points

The last to day to earn the bonus is April 30th.  However, the last day to register is March 31st.

If you are visiting an area with two Marriott family hotels, this may even be worth hotel-hopping!  Check out each night and move to the other hotel, then move back the next day.  It is obviously an inconvenience, but if you were away four night a week on business then you could accumulate 10,000 Avios per week this way.

(To see our complete list of all current hotel promotions for the major chains, click here to visit our ‘Hotel Promos’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

How to get Waitrose vouchers from Amex Membership Rewards points
Another way to use up 3V Virtual Visa cards

Comments

1. Lady London says:

Not sure what is going on but it won’t let me open a new account. It says I already have one. I don’t have one already. I even tried with a completely made up fictitious email address and it said I already have an account in that name too. is this link really functioning?

• I tried to open a new account a couple of months ago and had that problem, even though to my knowledge I wasn’t in the Marriott Rewards scheme, in the end I made up a postal address and that got me past the error, then once the account was registered I changed the postal address back to my own.

• Lady London says:

UPDATE: problem solved. I spoke to the nice lady at Marriott. There is apparently my email on a very old membership. This membership that I was not aware does not have my name. Seriously. It does not have my address. Just a membership number and my email, that had never been activated. No idea how such a membership could have arisen without even my name registered on it and no other details. Seems weird but could it even be possible that the fictitious made-up email I tested registration with yesterday using the link mightalso be found to be already existing, without any name or address!

The charming lady at Marriott was able to activate this unexpecxtedly found membership and also registered me for the Megamiles promotion. She mentioned the membership for the promo does not have to be new, you can sign up for it and for it to work you also have to select Points option.

• Occasionally, airline programmes do a deal with a hotel programme to offer you a trial membership – Hilton does this a lot. Perhaps BA or someone gave your details to Marriott once and they created this account, which you never bothered to activate.

2. I just joined via the link and I already have another account, I used my parents address and a different e-mail, although when I look in the promotions section it says I am not registered for any promotions, and I can’t find the miles promotion to register so I can only assume this is done automatically?

3. What's the Point says:

Yet another great way of a company alienating a large part of its customer base. Surely they would have secured more business had they offered it out to all their current customers- especially those that have a low activity level on their account.

Its similar to this annoying Hilton multi-stay offer, which was targeted (but not at me, and I stay 25+ nights a year with them)

4. Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Would be tempted, as I could easily rattle through 20 stays, but they don’t status match or even challenge.

• Mr Chiggles says:

This is a bit of a myth – if you read the latest thread on the matter on flyertalk it does confirm they do still do a challenge. I have got one very recently, they just need a bit more persuading/proof. If you can prove you’ve met or nearly met their night requirements for a particular level (50 nights gold in my case) then they will issue you a challenge which includes gold status along the way.

A number of my colleagues have asked for and got the same challenge but they were all required to provide full evidence of nights stayed from other hotel schemes.

5. The website states:

Earn 5,000 bonus miles with every other paid stay*, starting with the second stay, up to 50,000 bonus miles
    * A ‘stay’ is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.

Does that not mean that a stay is one nights accommodation and therefore the second night qualifies you for the 5,000 bonus miles?

6. Maximum Power says:

I had my first stay in the Mariott sunday and I have just checked my new account and it’s not recorded the stay, however in my other main account it’s showing the stay plus my future stays, even although I booked them all with the new Marriot rewards number. It’s a shame because now i’m just going to cancel all the bookings and go back to IHG

• Maximum Power says:

UPDATE: Just called Reservations to cancel all my bookings, she asked why and I explained I had openned a new account as I had moved and didnt realise i had an old account, which i hadnt used therfore there was no incentive to keep the bookings, she said give me a few minutes, came back, and said I have merged your accounts, I have moved your points and status from your old account to your new account and and any koining promotions on your new account will now stand. Result!!!!