British Airways Executive Club ‘birthday bonuses’ still going strong

Clearly I did something wrong, because British Airways Executive Club forgot my birthday entirely last November.  (Although I did get some freebies from other loyalty programmes.)

However, reader James got in touch this week to confirm that the BAEC ‘birthday bonus’ programme is still going strong – at least for the lucky few who are chosen each month.

James has his birthday in May.  He received an email on March 3rd offering him a big Avios bonus if he booked a flight before 31st March to take in the month of his birthday.

The bonuses are:

• European economy return – 4,000 Avios
  • European Club Europe return – 8,000 Avios
  • Long-haul economy or World Traveller Plus return – 15,000 Avios
  • Long-haul Club World return – 30,000 Avios

Avios birthday deal

Here is another interesting one – the bonus is valid on cash, Avios and ‘Avios and money’ bookings.

This represents an excellent deal, especially for the solo traveller.  (The bonus is per booking, not per person, so it is worth more to a single traveller.)  On a short European flight, you would be getting 4,000 Avios back after spending just 9,000.

On a long-haul economy flight to the Middle East or New York, you would be getting 15,000 Avios back after spending just 40,000.

If buying a ticket for cash, the ‘sweet spot’ is the 15,000 Avios points for a long-haul economy trip.  If you could bag a cheap enough ticket, the bonus Avios – plus the Avios from the flight itself – could effectively make the flight almost free!

If you doing a redemption, the ‘sweet spot’ would be a Club World booking.  30,000 miles back on, say, an 80,000 mile flight to Dubai is a pretty good discount.

The bonus is strictly targetted, with the bonus Avios posting in arrears, presumably after BA manually works through a list of people who were invited to see where they travelled.  You only get the bonus on one flight, but if you take multiple flights during your birthday month, you get the highest bonus to which you would have been entitled.

Last chance to book in BA's Club World and Club Europe sale
Last chance to earn 12,000 Avios with Tesco Life Insurance

Comments

1. Rob,
    You think you’ve done something wrong, for our last 2 trips to Dubai we have actually flown back on my sons birthday( in F) , which is also the same month as my birthday and no sniff of a bonus.

2. Dave P says:

I received the birthday bonus email for my May birthday – as luck would have it I am planning to do a short city break to Europe in that month anyway!

3. Flashware says:

Friend of mine received one for their birthday (it’s 2 days after mine). I’ve received zippo, perhaps because I already had a trip booked flying out on my birthday so they thought “we’ve got this chump anyway” 😉

4. Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

That would be a return trip in CW to DME for 10k Avios (net) and £50, right? Good deal, visa costs and political strife notwithstanding.

5. No bonus for me for May, can’t recall ever being offered one in fact. Have an ex-EU CW flight booked for then too so would have been great to receive 30k!

6. 4x silver in this house and never seen this offer,

7. squills says:

I got the offer but – since I try to book the 5 of us into flights as far out as possible (typically 11-12 months) – no way I’ll be getting the bonus.

Though I do take the point about the nearly free sweetspot flights, hmm week in Thailand would be nice if it weren’t for the chimps 😉

I have to re-schedule a cash + avios (don’t ask 😉 ) flight for my wife, bought through my own BAEC a/c – and which happens to fall in the right month. That costs £60 online (to change timing) so I guess I have a snowball’s chance of triggering the birthday bonus. I’ll let you know 😉

8. Hubby got one last week with a May birthday. Shame we’ve already booked with Easyjet! I didn’t with a March birthday.

Dad got one in November for a January birthday and promptly changed his plans so that he flew to IAH in WT on January 1 instead of the previous week. The T&C’s say the bonus should have posted by 28 February but nothing has. So make sure you make a note to yourself not to forget to check.

9. Thunderbirds says:

I’ve been with BAEC since 1995 and I’ve never seen this either.

Another off topic. I have an IHG account with the bonus code for 1,000 BONUS POINTS FOR 60 DAYS. This was supposed to be unlimitted but only gave me one bonus on my first booking. Well it seems someone has complained and IHG have fixed the problem and the code is now working again though sadly 8 days before it is due to expire for me. Sorry I can’t remember the code number itself but I’m sure it is on this site somewhere…

10. kevino says:

I was granted 3,000 avios off a hotel booking, but could not use it. If it had been off flights, I would have been able to.

• signol says:

I had that one as well. Amounted to a free night in Malta. As I had no cause to use it, I booked a night for a friend.

11. My birthday is in May and nothing here

12. Nothing here too, although plenty of domestic flights already booked during my birthday month.
    Did get one last year which I was unable to use given I’d already got longhaul trips planned.

13. andy stock says:

Flying out to Prague in CE on my birthday on an avios redemption, its a shame I have no email yet!

14. Maximus says:

BAEC sent me one but I forgot all about it- doh!

15. I got the same offer as James, I had a less generous offer last year as well, unfortunately my birthday of February doesn’t tend to tie in with my travel plans.

16. I’ve had birthday offers every year, sometimes for money off flights other times for bonus avios. I got the bonus avios offer in January but couldn’t be bothered to take it up as my birthday is in January and following Christmas I didn’t want a holiday.

17. I got the email about this last year – my birthday was in February and I could only book by December and fly on February. Funnily enough, I did book a return CE flight to Barcelona for my birthday, but points didn’t post. When I rang I was told that I had to wait a month, so I waited, and rang again, only to be told that this has now gone to the back-office people who will get back to me in 7 days.. All the BA people I spoke to, from customer services to exec club recognise that this was a qualifying flight but I’m still pointless..

All this for 8k points… 😛

18. James67 says:

It’s my Birthday in May too but no sign of a bonus for me but guess what, I already have a CW booking that month!

19. Slightly off topic but I’m Itching for the next AMEX MR to Avios bonus! I predict it will return in April.