100% bonus for more people, it seems, when you buy IHG Rewards Club points!

I posted recently about a ‘25%-100% points bonus’ available to people who buy IHG Rewards Club points.

The exact bonus you were offered was meant to vary.  Some people got 100%, most got a lot less.

Reader CV mentioned in our comments section on Monday that his bonus had apparently changed and was now 100%!  Other reports online suggest that other people have also had their bonus increased.  Perhaps yours has too?

IHG Mystery Bonus

Remember that this deal seems to work even if you didn’t get the original email.

Here is a reminder of how the deal works.  These are the standard purchase rates:

• 1,000 – 10,000 points for $13.50 per 1,000 points
  • 11,000 – 25,000 points for $12.50 per 1,000 points
  • 26,000 – 60,000 points for $11.50 per 1,000 points

If you can now buy with a 100% bonus, you would be able to buy 120,000 IHG points for (at current exchange rates) around £420.

IC LeGrand ballroom

At the top end of the IHG Rewards Club portfolio, you have InterContinental properties which top out at 50,000 points per night.  That’s what you would have paid for InterContinental LeGrand in Paris where I was two weeks ago (review to follow).

With a 100% bonus, IHG is effectively selling you a night at these properties for £174 all-in.  There is no doubt that this could be a great deal – taking a random night in May (20th), IC London is £345, IC Paris LeGrand (ballroom above) is €475 and IC New York Times Square is $535 inc tax.  All three had reward nights available.

Of course, I could run a different list of low season dates at the same properties – or other hotels in the group – where this would not look like such a great deal.  That said, I doubt you will ever pay less than £174 for the IC’s above at any time of year.

To be clear, I do not consider this a great deal if you are getting a bonus lower than 100%.  The numbers do look pretty good if you have been targeted for the top bonus, however.

This ‘buy points’ offer runs until April 21st.

(To see our complete list of all current hotel promotions for the major chains, click here to visit our ‘Hotel Promos’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Virgin Black launches highest ever sign-up bonus - 30,000 miles!
Heathrow Rewards adds Etihad Guest as a partner - and 1,100 points for joining

Comments

1. Still only 25% off for me

2. only 25% :(

3. Unfortunately still only 25% for me. But wanted to share the good news that I have won 25,000 Avios in the Facebook dropple raffle. Thanks Raffles

4. Matthew says:

25℅ for me too :-(

5. Billyk says:

Still only 50 / for me

6. My bonus has increased from 25% to 50%

7. I’m one of the lucky ones and my bonus is now 100%, I’m still not sure I will be a buyer though, only planning one IHG stay this year, I’ve a feeling there may be a devaluation by the time I come to use any points I buy.

8. James67 says:

Yes, still 25% for me too. I have never been offered as much as 100%, even on previous targetted offers. Congrats to Andy. I am currently 90th in HHonors F1 so hopefully my team can win something this year.

9. 25% for me. I’m looking at topping off an account with points to go to NY later in the year, would it be worth it, or best waiting until another offer comes along perhaps?

• You can buy points at $7 per 1000 whenever you want via the ‘cash and points and cancel’ method I outlined in the original post on this promo, so it is not worth it for less than 100% bonus.

10. Trevor says:

I got 50% first time (haven’t bothered to check again) and OH got 100%, but even at the top rate, I’m no buyer. Simply put, I prefer free points, or heavily discounted and huge ROI.

In this instance, £420 for 120,000 points is £0.0035/point, so getting close to the redemption value of £0.005/point. This can still be worth it if you really want to add more points than already possible, and yes you can get value out of it, especially if you use PointBreaks, but I’ll get almost exactly the same points haul off the Big Win including bonus codes, and that’ll cost me £288. Add in the cost of the IHG Black and resulting points haul gives a total of over 164,000 at a cost of £0.0023/point. This offer cost 48% more and you only have the points to show for it. By doing the Big Win, you have the points at the end for future stays, but you also get value from the stays that earn them. If I remove the cost of stays I would have done anyway, that shoots the purchase cost down to only £0.0014/point, making this promotion, despite the “100% bonus”, cost nearly 2.5 times more!

If you’re ignoring the Big Win and choosing instead to buy miles, this promotion is certainly costing you. Of course some may be grabbing points at whatever discount they can to accrue huge totals, in which case you are still getting a good deal, but the analysis puts it in perspective.

• Trevor says:

PS: My total cost of the autumn Big Win worked out to £0.0017/point, so this Big Win is already costing me 35% more. Man, I miss those discount options available last year…

11. Froggitt says:

I would happily sell 120,000 of my IHG points for £420.

• You would live for 24 days in a PointsBreak hotel instead! Cheaper than living at home!

• Froggitt says:

Except Pointsbreak hotels are always in the arris end of nowhere up north.

• I lived in a Posthouse on a junction of the M5 for two weeks back in the 1990’s (which, ironically, is now a Holiday Inn and has been on the PB list in the past) – it wasn’t a bad experience!

12. Meyer S says: