Got Amex Plat? 1,000 Membership Rewards points for adding a supplementary cardholder

Last July, I wrote about a special American Express promotion offering 1,000 Membership Rewards points (= 1,000 Avios, amongst other things) for each new supplementary cardholder added to your Platinum charge card account.

Reader Trevor emailed me over the weekend to say that the promotion is still working OK.  He recently added a new supplementary cardholder to his account, and received the 1,000 points 40 days later.  (This sounds like a long time, but the application page says it could take 90 days!)

Full details of this promotion and the application link can be found here.

Amex Platinum

Each Platinum cardholder can add up to five supplementary cardholders for free, which would get you 5,000 Membership Rewards points.  One of these will receive a Platinum card and will be eligible for their own Priority Pass, can access Eurostar lounges and can claim their own Club Carlson Gold card and other hotel status cards.

The other four supplementary cards will be Gold cards.  These four cards still benefit from the Platinum travel insurance but do not receive any of the other benefits.  (It is possible to make these additional cards into Platinum, but there is a £170 charge.  This is not worth the money in my view.)

Because these are charge cards and not credit cards, Amex undertakes stricter checks when issuing supplementary cards than is usual, so don’t bother trying to get a supplementary card for your dog!  I couldn’t even get one for our nanny 18 months ago, as she wasn’t on the electoral register – Amex insisted on receiving copies of her passport and other documents which was simply too much trouble.

(To see our complete list of all current credit card bonuses, click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

30%-40% discount code for Hilton Group hotels!
New American Airlines 'buy miles' bonus - up to 40%

Comments

1. Hingeless says:

They also give access to virgin australia lounges!

2. martin says:

The supplementary cardholder also has the option of receiving a green Amex – handy if they also hold a gold card and need some way of differentiating them in their wallet!

While there is a credit check involved, I’ve held a supplementary card since I was 18, so I’m not sure how strict it is. It’s come in quite handy over the years for the travel insurance – which covers me, my partner, and any hypothetical children. Some parts of the policy only apply if I used an Amex-issued Amex card to purchase the travel, but it doesn’t need to be the platinum supplementary card. (My dad is no doubt pleased he’s not picking up the bill.)

3. Brendan Sweeney says:

AMEX recently changed their terms so that the main cardholder is fully responsible for spending on supplementary cards ( previously the supplementary cardholders were joint and severally liable) so they may have relaxed their checks on additional cardholders

4. DeltaCharlie says:

You do need to have held the card for more than 6 months for this to work. You can also get 500 Avios for supplementary on the BAPP.

• Trevor says:

I applied after 6 hours after receiving my card, so don’t think there’s a prerequisit amount of time. I also waited ages for it to get approved and got a call to validate the application. Didn’t realise there’d be a credit check for supp as well, so guess that’s why it took longer, but since they can do a credit check and realtime validation on online new card application in seconds, it still doesn’t explain the delay.

5. Can anyone confirm the CX Marco Polo gold benefit is definitely gone for Amex Plats as of 31st March? They have had a habit of extending it in the past…

6. Josh Fisher says:

Can you use the Virgin Australia lounges even with a UK Platinum card? How do you access them?

Do we have to be flying Virgin Australia?

Thanks

• I am guessing it is an Oz Plat benefit but they never check the card. In the same way that Eurostar lounge access is only a UK Plat benefit but you would easily get in with an overseas one.

Yes, would definitely require a Virgin Oz ticket.

7. I got my plat card last week, as well as supp card. can I still get this bonus 1000 MR though i didnt apply via their link?

• Don’t think so, but if you make a complaint saying you think it is unfair you get points for getting one later, they may give them as a goodwill gesture.