SriLankan Airlines available for Avios redemptions from today

SriLankan Airlines joins the oneworld airline alliance today, becoming the first airline from the Indian subcontinent to join any major airline.

This means that, as of today, you can use your Avios points to book redemption flights on SriLankan.  Although, to be honest, I wouldn’t be 100% certain that ba.com can handle it immediately.  It is still having problems with accurate TAM availability a month after they joined …..

SriLankan is not a large airline, operating just 21 aircraft to 20 countries from Colombo (below). It carried 4.7m passengers in 2013.  It only adds two new cities to oneworld – Hambantota and Tiruchirapalli in India.

Routes include Heathrow, Frankfurt and Paris, Hong Kong, Bangkok and Tokyo, so it will open up opportunities for getting around Asia. There are also a number of flights to and from India and the Middle East.

Colombo

Importantly, Colombo is also a key stopping off point for the Maldives, with Colombo being just an hour or so from Male. This opens up yet another potential redemption routing from London, and adds to the new Qatar Airways and Malaysia Airlines options that opened up when they joined oneworld. Colombo to Male would be just 4,500 Avios each way.

SriLankan also runs a number of flights out of Bangkok, heading to Shanghai, Beijing (these two are ending soon), Hong Kong and Gaungzhou. There is also a Tokyo to Male route.

SriLankan

British Airways resumed its own flights to Colombo last year after a number of years, tagging it onto the end of three existing flights to the Maldives each week.

Great Circle Mapper shows that London to Colombo is 5,405 miles – 100 miles further than Maldives.  This is good news (as long as BA agrees with this number!) as it puts it right on the edge of the ‘4,000 – 5,500 miles’ pricing zone.  This means that flights will be 100,000 Avios return in Club World and 150,000 return in First.

My wasted trip to Wandsworth (IHG's Big Win)
Good BA EU business fares - Sydney £2130, Orlando £1445, NYC £1156

Comments

1. Phillip says:

Flights don’t seem to have been loaded yet on BAEC. A very welcome addition to the family, nevertheless!

2. Russell Evans says:

Have just rung BA to make a telephone booking – their systems are updated but was told BA.com will not be updated until later today. She accepted reward flight booking over the phone which attracted no surcharge as flights are not available online as yet.

3. Eshaq Choudhury says:

What are the taxes from lhr like?

4. Jason says:

Anyone flown business or first? What’s it like?

• James67 says:

No F. I was pleasantly surprized and impressedwith their J though. Nice friendly and efficient staff at call centre, on the ground and in the air i have flew both the new J a330s and the old EK a340s. Both were clean, light and airy cabins. Full flat bed on a330; leather, comfortable as both seat and bed. AVOD is not great but should still be something for everyone. Screen on the small side. Seats on a340s are angled flat. Main meals were better than average but then I likd the local cuisine. Second snack meals waere western and less impressive. All four of my flights were on time. For a last minute J fare they are very competitive.

5. What are the odds of getting a flatbed lhr to columbo? The old reclining seat in business gets bad reviews.

6. Andrew says:

I have a Sri Lankan flight to India coming up in a few weeks time. It seems the Sri Lankan website still won’t let me add my BA number to it. Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Will BA be doing their usual double avios offer for new Oneworld members? I can’t see a reference to it anywhere.

• The press release I got said that ‘most’ oneworld airlines would be offering a double miles promo, so I expect it will be along soon.

• James67 says:

I believe most are flat. I’m unconvinced by bad reviews for sngled flats. I think they are mostly grumbles from folks wanting latest products. IME angled flats are usually more comfortable designs in seated positions. I also find I sleep better with a slightly inclined as opposed to a full flat position. Perhaps because this compensates the slightly nose-up trim of the aircraft.

• James67 says:

Double avios 15 May until 30 June I believe.

Rob please delete my duplicate post sorry.

7. Richie says:

Iv currently in srilanka on holiday, flew out with BA in j yesterday via male. My question is will ba now stop this addition to the male service as there was only 20 odd people that carried on all the way to Colombo . Also any tips on the best lounge to use at Colombo? Cheers from a very hot and humid Sri Lanka Richie

8. Phillip says:

Disappointingly poor availability of LHR-CMB and vv flights in Business. One way taxes from CMB in Business only £50 though so great value! From Indian cities as little as £3 in fees and taxes! LHR-CMB just over £200 in taxes in Business one way which is not bad.

• James W says:

Really, £250 return in business. That’s not bad.
      If could start in Europe instead of London might get that down even further.

9. Londonbus says:

So with Oneworld, we now have the following ways to go London – Bangkok:

BA – Direct (via Ba9/10)
    SriLankan via CMB
    Finnair via HEL
    Cathay – via HKG
    Royal Jordanian – via AMM
    Qatar via DOH

And somewhat less directly – JAL via TYO and AA via a number of points.

Any other cities with as many OW choices?

10. James W says:

Got excited when I went on the Sri Lanka website and saw London – Colombo for £192 return.
    Bastards hadn’t added all the obscene taxes and charges to that yet. Gits.

Trackbacks

1. […] Raffles from Head for Points identifies, London to Colombo sneaks into the 4000-5500 miles pricing band for Avios redemptions, […]