Craziest Tesco deal ever?! 62 Avios for every 0.9p spent!

This new Tesco grocery deal is, frankly, mad.  I’m not even sure if Tesco will honour it or not.  It is worth a go though!

Tesco is offering 25 bonus Clubcard points for every purchase of ‘world vegetables’ you make.

Before we go much further, you should check if the store which arranges your deliveries (and which could be real or ‘dark’) and which you cannot amend – is eligible for this offer.

Click on this page.  If you are not logged in, no special offer will show.  If you then log-in and the page is still blank, the store which delivers to your house does not sell these ‘exotic’ items.  Sorry!

Okra

Let’s look at the offers available for delivery to my house.  I actually laughed when I saw the price of the first few!  You earn 25 Clubcard points for every item.

The ‘bonkers’ deals:

Tesco Rocket Chillies – 1p each (actually 0.9p)

Tesco Okra – 5p each (pictured above)

Tesco Eddoes – 19p each

Some stores, but not mine, appear to have baby aubergines at 13p

The ‘normal’ deals:

Tesco White Flesh Sweet Potatoes – 62p each

Tesco Plantain – 71p each

Tesco Mooli – 71p each

Tesco Cassava – £1.13 each

Tesco Dudhi – £1.31 each

Tesco Yams – £5.38 each

The screenshot below confirms that, for 50 x 1p chillies, I would receive 1,250 Clubcard points:

rsz_okra_shot

I know from the comments on the Tesco post yesterday that some people have already placed orders for 99 individual chillies which is the maximum allowed.  The 25 points per item DO show at checkout, so I am guessing that the points will post as long as the items are delivered.

This offer is theoretically also available in store, assuming your local store sells these.  Despite the posters being up, a couple of readers who tried yesterday did not get their points.  It is not unusual for Tesco to have issues with new promotions – this one launched on Monday.

You can combine these items with the ‘1500 Clubcard points for a £60 grocery order’ that I reminded everyone about yesterday.

This offer runs until 22nd June – although it is hard to believe it will survive that long if they are effectively giving 62 Avios for every 1p you spend!

You could also convert your vouchers to another partner – theoretically you could spend £90 on chillies and Goldsmiths would give you a £7,500 Rolex …..  However, remember that Tesco is now capping Clubcard points at 30,000 per quarter.  If you earn more than this, it is likely (not guaranteed, but it definitely happens) that you will lose all of the points above 30,000.

United's Club lounge confirmed as the Priority Pass option in Terminal 2
Accor launches 'up to 40% off UK stays' sale

Comments

1. Delivery just made.

Eddoes/Chillies/Sweet Potato not available, just the Chow Chow/Plantain/Cassava so only a mini jackpot of 4 items.:(

Only 25 bonus ponts so I called the 0800 number shown on the delivery note. After asking what bonus points were, the lady transferred mre to Clubcard CS who doubled up the misssing points.

JONNY: the missing items meant the total charged was below £25. They did not surcharge.

Technical question: do comments autodistruct? When I read the post yesterday, there were many comments. Today, only thismorning’s comments are shown.

• Amanda says:

Did they give you 25 more points or double the points that you were expecting? ie 4 items 100 points x2 ?

• The latter, missing points x2. Actually 50 missing, so 100 awarded.

• All comments are still here, you just need to click on the link at the foot of the last comment called “Older Comments”.

2. I checked the offer page today and, surprise, surprise, no chillies are on offer.

Also dynamic pricing is at play. Some products are cheaper than when I ordered, others are more expensive. Oo er.

3. Amanda says:

Just shopped in store, weighed 41 different bags of okra and edoes (does anyone know what these are?) spent £4.70 total
    Got 29 cc pointts
    Receipt says Points this visit 29 includes 25 CCP
    So it would appear that bonus points are only awarded per sale, not per item.
    Curry tonight I guess

4. Costas says:

tesco jokers, no honouring of the points

• Not really, they are just applying the t&cs:

8.Tesco may decline to issue, withdraw or cancel Clubcard accounts, cards, key fobs, coupons, vouchers and points, in whatever form, and / or remove a member from the scheme at any time where there is reasonable belief of:

a.any abuse or attempted abuse of the scheme;

• 25.Tesco may set a limit on the number of times points may be awarded for promotional items on which additional points are available. Individual promotions may have different limits as communicated in their purchase conditions. Any participation in promotional offers above and beyond what could objectively be considered consumer behaviour or personal use may be considered as abuse of the scheme.

5. well now ofc, online has all been changed to “Sorry, this product is currently not available”

6. I was due a delievr 99 chillies + 99 Okra at 2pm today.. didnt turn up and no phone call, i called and they said they’ve cancelled the order!! considering i had 100 quids worth of food for the family on top thats pretty poor. i had 7000 tesco points from the order and so far they’ve still charged me.. no way they will honour it though.. tesco customer service is pathetic.

7. Anyone else called Tesco helpline to confirm if the promotional CC points will be added?

• The message people seem to be getting from customer services is that the points will be awarded before the next statement date. I was fobbed off with this when I made a legitimate purchase of a mobile phone (10,000 points) – it took me 6 months and a lot of arguing to get it posted. Therefore I would be amazed if Tesco pay out 25 club card points for each one of 99 chillis on an order or whatever. It is clearly abusive and against the T&Cs – they have no obligation to award the points.

I would take the “paid before the next statement date” thing with a bucket of salt, but I guess it is better than a definite no.

• I beg to differ that it is ‘abusive’. If Tesco choose to run a promotion with the specific intention of encouraging me to change my purchasing behaviour then it can’t be construed as abusive if I choose to take them up on this offer. If Tesco aren’t capable of executing said promotion in a sustainable manner for themselves this is hardly my fault.

• Idrive says:

Also who knows!?? Maybe they bought tons of these vegs back in jan woth a forward price which was convenient or maybe the newly hired guy has ordered 100 tons instead of 10… They chose to run it and as said:100 okras are not that much to eat i can have 50 of them a day easily!

8. Received a text saying that Tesco had to remove world vegetable from my order. Went to tesco.com and world vegetable is no longer available. Cancelled my order.

9. Just called tesco and the guy explained from notes on the system to say people ordering on the 4th and 5th will not have points awarded as it was an apparent advertising mistake on the website! All customers making contact trying to claim points are reported to customer services….wonder what happens next?

• Sounds ominous!

• Idrive says:

I ordered on 03/06 and the delivery is due today so i should be safe.. Do you say ALL customers are reported or onlye thos for order on 04-05?

• Idrive says:

Products not available. End

• He said 4 & 5th but that might just be what was in front of him, he didn’t suggest earlier orders were ok or anything. I questioned how it could be a mistake when posters were in store and it was a store offer being matched on the website and all the guy could do was apologise. He finished by saying the offer had been pulled from all stores and the website……as if we didn’t know!

• TrollBasher says:

How can it be an online “advertising mistake” when the counter labels instore are showing the offer?

• The offer in store just says 25 points though. it doesn’t say “per chilli”.

• TrollBasher says:

Ah, but the flip side to that is, by its ambiguity, if you bought 1 chilli, 1 Dudhi, 1 Mooli and 1 white sweet potato, you are inferring Tesco could say you were only entitled to 25 bonus points because nowhere does it say on the label per item, per vegetable type or by a defined weight.

The promotion’s weakness is the purchasers’ strength in this instance

• Your first part is correct, your second isn’t.

Unless everything was scanned individually then the instore purchase is by weight and therefore only one eligible transaction item as it only appears once on the receipt, regardless of weight.

One big yam could weigh the same as 3 small ones. How does Tesco retrospectively know the quantity and how could the customer prove a higher quantity?

• squills says:

That’s why I didn’t push the shaving gels too far back then 😉

They gave me a few thou points, they got shirty about the remainder, I let it rest lol

10. Chris Sutter says:

Also received a text from Tesco saying that they cancelled my order, no explanation given (not that one was needed!)

File this one under “if it seems too good to be true”… 😉

11. Asda Sainsbury-Tesco says:

Cancelling customer’s orders – no wonder their same store sales are down 4%. Amateurs.

12. squills says:

I bought a Eurotunnel ticket today, £120 was £40 in TCC boosters, = 9600 Avs that I now don’t have. Anybody think I got equiv value?

13. Just had my order delivered but no world foods included :(

14. **********UPDATE**********

I’m [understandably] very pleased to let you know that the 6,125 CC points manually added to my account by customer services at Tesco Southall Hayes Bulls Bridge Extra for this “promotion” after I successfully argued the toss have now posted to my account.

I’m a little surprised as I had my doubts as to whether they’d materialise, even after being sanctioned by store management.

• squills says:

I argued & got a lot of the the Gillettes points added as well (several thou) but lived in fear for a few weeks after that 😉

Let’s hope you don’t have as much to lose…

15. TT2000 says:

Got the text yesterday saying all world foods had been removed from the delivery.

Am collecting the order today so may have a look instore to see if anything is available on shelf. It’s out of order for them to remove something if they are able to ship it, it discriminates against internet shoppers.

16. Graeme says:

Despite me ticking ‘no substitutions’, they gave me okra in packets and no extra CC points. I called the helpline and the chap said he’d find out how to add the points and get back to me. He called back saying the promotion had been a mistake and that it had been retracted, but he refunded the whole order (£15) and gave me a £10 voucher.

A shame, but still a win!

17. I’ve just had an email from Tesco confirming that they had cancelled my order “as you requested”. Clearly it was for 99 chillies and I had done no such thing.

Spoke to CS who said they “are not a wholesaler” so the order was cancelled. He suggested ordering 30 would have been fine, but 99 was not. Apparently it is “not fair on other customers”. Seems like a rubbish excuse; the guy I spoke to sounded fed up, but that is no excuse for his rudeness.

Was always a long shot – nothing ventured nothing gained!

• Does buying 99 chillies count as wholesale?! That’s only a few handfuls surely!

• Indeed – and I did say that it seemed odd that the online system would allow me to put in 99 but not 100 of something. If they can do that, why not limit it to 25 of something as they can clearly do it. I bet if I ordered 99 mushrooms or grapes there wouldnt be an issue…

18. Karl Ransom says:

After to-ing and fro-ing for the past 5 days with emails and phone calls to Tesco, trying to get my points as payment was taken after being cancelled, they have “honoured” me 200 clubcard points. I also have a till receipt for 326 for the same offer which has not been credited to my clubcard acc, which I will redeem once my 200 have been received.

19. I don’t have many points yet (about to begin the fight) but my order *was* delivered, a day late. Reminded me why I don’t use Tesco in London, which probably makes this a double marketing fail. On the plus side, I had a fantastic okra and chorizo gumbo for dinner last night.