75% bonus when you buy Club Carlson points – ends 5pm

Club Carlson, the loyalty scheme for Radisson, Park Plaza and Park Inn, is running a number of 24-hour flash sales for buying points.

Each flash sale will run for a 24-hour period and they will appear randomly between June 18th and June 27th.

All of the flash sales will offer the same deal – a 75% bonus, however few or many points you buy.

The link to the first flash sale is here.  You need to sign in to see the pricing.  It runs until noon New York time today, which means 5pm British Summer Time.

Club Carlson flash sale

A lot of American frequent flyer blogs are very excited about this deal.  They have one advantage that we do not, though.  If you hold the US Club Carlson credit card, you receive ‘one night free’ for every reward stay of two nights or more you book.  This effectively means that a 2-night stay is half price.

If you have one of these credit cards, a Club Carlson point is literally worth twice as much to you as it is to a UK resident!  There is no Club Carlson credit card of any sort in this country.

That said, this deal does offer genuine value for UK residents if you redeem in the right places.

The maximum number of points you can purchase is 70,000 (40,000 + 30,000 bonus) for $280.  That is £165.

The Mayfair, the most prestigious London hotel in the portfolio, is 70,000 points per night.  £165 is an excellent price for this hotel.

Even better value comes at properties like Park Plaza Westminster Bridge – a new London property with a pool and next to the London Eye, London Dungeon, London Aquarium etc.

A night is 44,000 points so you’d need 88,000 for a weekend break.  The extra 18,000 you need could be obtained by transferring 6,000 American Express Membership Rewards points at the 1:3 rate.  Looking at their pricing in late July (18 – 20) you would otherwise expect to pay £458 for a Friday and Saturday night.  £185 plus 6,000 Amex points is a steal in comparison.

This Park Plaza also has ‘Family Studio’ rooms which are available for redemption at 62,500 points per night.  My brother is staying in one of these in 10 days so I will try to take a look.  Given that the hotel has a pool and is next to a lot of family attractions, it is definitely one to consider if you have kids.

Carlson has devalued their award chart this year so I wouldn’t expect major changes in the short term.  That said, always be careful when investing in points without a specific use in mind.

(To see our complete list of all current hotel promotions for the major chains, click here to visit our ‘Hotel Promos’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

1000 Clubcard points and a Finest Pizza with 'Game of Thrones Series 4'!
KLM finally spots the big loophole in its baggage charging plan!

Comments

1. Lipton says:

Don’t forget you can get Carlson gold status by status matching from Hilton gold amongst others.

• What is the route to do that?

• Lipton says:

if you go on http://www.statusmatcher.com it will explain how you do it. Normally a screenshot of the hotel page you are status matching from with your status on it emailed to a specific email address of the chain you want the status matched to is sufficient.

2. raffles – is this a good way to buy Avios Then? Buy 10000 club Carlson, get CC bonus of 75% and BA conversion bonus of 25%?

3. Louise says:

I don’t see an option to pay for these in pounds sterling? What’s the best way to pay?

• If you have one, with a credit card which does not charge FX fees (Post Office, Halifax Clarity, Lloyds Avios Rewards). Otherwise use a card with double points for foreign spend like Amex Gold. If none of these, you will have to swallow the 3 per cent FX fee on your credit or debit card.

4. Done! Paid by AMEX Platinum.

A good deal for a family room in London in July, thanks for the tip Raffles.

5. This looks good, in particular as I have gold status with Club Carlson thanks to this blog (via a car rental company, if I remember correctly!), so free upgrade too!

Is there any way to pool club carlson points? I need 150,000 points for the stay I want (3 nights at 50,000). Is there any way for me and my girlfriend to each buy 70,000 and pool them? I can make up the remainder from MR.

6. Just looking at the Club Carlson website, at certain properties it would be cheaper to buy the points with the bonus than it is to pay for trip with cash!

• Sorry what I meant is that I’m surprised at the difference, not just that it is cheaper as such. I wonder why they do it as surely they must know a lot of people will just buy the points instead of paying for a more expensive cash room.

7. I know this is only rubbing it in for UK readers, but those of us with the US Club Carlson Visa card also get 2,800 points for the $280 transaction — unlike most airlines and hotels, Club Carlson points purchases through points.com are coded as Carlson spend.

• Yep, that definitely rubs salt in the wound! You get those massive BA sign up bonuses as well – I’m not jealous, honest!

8. Empers says:

Thanks Raffles,
    Your post prompted me to take a look at the 4for2 deal site for Gold members. Just picked up a reservation for a Radisson Blu in Moscow for £44 per night. Now it is secured I can look at wether better value options are out there, especially through point sale purchases.

9. Just got in and thought I’d take a look at this, but seems to be gone already.

10. idrive says:

if I cancel my Amex Plat, will my Club Carlson be closed or will last till next year? we have discussed this so many times, but can not recall the info now. i want to book a november stay with 442 and will probably close the Plat before.
    I am considering an option, will make a couple of calculations and then write you another question. thanks

• You’ll retain your Carlson status until the end of your membership year with them, it won’t be affected by cancelling your Amex Plat – only the Priority Pass card stops when you cancel Plat.

11. James Grant says:
  12. paul molyneux says:

As a Club Carlson Gold Member will I receive benefits e.g. free upgrade if I pay using the 70,000 points I bought via this promotion or is it only if you pay for a room in cash?