Free Marriott night with the free Marriott credit card!

The Marriott Rewards MasterCard is, to be honest, as ‘middle of the road’ and unexciting as your average Marriott hotel.  I’m not sure that was ever the plan but that is how it worked out.

The card is free

The sign-up bonus is 10,000 Marriott points – just 20% of what you need to stay at a top Marriott hotel

The earnings rate is just 1 Marriott point per £1, which given my 0.5p per point valuation means a return of just 0.5%

You get double points when you use the card at a Marriott property or abroad

You receive Silver status in Marriott Rewards – but that isn’t worth much

And the only novelty factor – you get 2000 Marriott points every year as a loyalty bonus, which is generous given that the card is free (albeit that is only 5% of a top tier redemption!)

My full review of the Marriott Rewards MasterCard can be found here.

This week, however, Marriott Rewards has emailed selected members with an interesting offer.

marriott

You will receive a free night in any Category 1-5 Marriott hotel when you take out the card and spend £200, on top of the usual 10,000 points.

The free night is valid for six months from the date that the voucher is dropped into your Marriott Rewards account.

Marriott has seven reward categories and the ‘smart’ hotels are heavily weighted towards the top end.  In the UK, a Category 5 would only get you a night at the Marriott in Leeds for example.

The free night is probably still worth around £100 if used wisely, despite the Category 5 restriction.  Even if you don’t collect Marriott Rewards points, you can convert the 10,000 points you also receive for getting the card into 2,000 Avios.

Until November, you can also earn an extra 2,000 Marriott Rewards per month by ‘liking’ certain US Marriott hotels on Twitter and Facebook.

How to apply

The special application form for the Marriott ‘free night’ offer is here (deleted as offer now over).

When you click through to the application form you will see a box for a ‘Promotional Code’.  Whilst this box does not auto-fill, for safety I would type MTE614 in the box which is the code for this deal.

Anyone who has previously held and cancelled the Marriott credit card will not qualify for this offer.

If you do not already have a Marriott Rewards account, I strong recommend opening one via this page (click top right) before you apply.  If you wait for the credit card people to do it for you, it may take months before you can tease the number and password out of them!

There is no closing date stated on the website but the covering email said that you had to apply by the end of July.

Bigger than usual disclaimer …..

There is nothing in the small print to say that this offer is only open to recipients of the original email.

Given that people often use different email addresses for different things, and often have business addresses on loyalty card accounts, they cannot realistically check applications against the list of members targetted.

That said …. if you do not receive your free night, you don’t have a leg to stand on, apart from claiming that you found the application page via Google and there were no restrictions on it.

(To see our complete list of all current credit card bonuses, click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Disclaimer: Head for Points is a journalistic website. Nothing here should be construed as financial advice, and it is your own responsibility to ensure that any product is right for your circumstances. Recommendations are based primarily on the ability to earn miles and points and do not consider interest rates, service levels or any impact on your credit history.

Last chance: BA World Traveller and World Traveller Plus sale ends on Tuesday
Last chance: Win 20,000 IHG Rewards Club points

Comments

1. Not a bad deal at all for a free cat.5 night with the spend, and a free night at a lower cat hotel with the 10,000 points.

I’m a little confused though by the points required for each category in the Marriott rewards table, it has ‘Hotel Reward’ points and ‘PointSavers Reward’ points, for which different number of points are required –

Can I get a cat. 2 or 3 room with 10,000 points?

• Rob, you possibly can but don’t count on it. From my experience, these PointSavers rewards are very rarely available. That might just be me though.

On another note, the wife and I stayed at the Courtyard Berlin over Christmas using our megabonus certificates and it was a lovely, no frills, clean, great location hotel. Highly suggested.

2. andystock says:

Raffles, any news on what is happening with the Hilton Honnors credit card, had a look on thier site this morning and it was completly down?

• The HHonors card online function has now moved to the Barclaycard platform as of the 23rd June.

barclaycard.co.uk

You may need to register your new card.

• ankomonkey says:

I’ve tried on two separate days to register my new HH card at mybarclaycard and got an error each time. I called Barclaycard card services (on an 0844 number) and they told me to wait a few days as they had IT problems. I got £5 statement credit from them. May be worth trying to register with the aim of earning a statement credit…

• Well done on the fiver! I can confirm that I was able to register my new HHonors Visa card last week, and can now view the account at the Barclaycard site. As you say, it sounds like solely an IT issue. The Barclaycard site is 100% times better than the old site, with a lot of additional information you can view about spend, etc.

• trickster says:

I had issues registering the IHG card online with mybarclaycard, but they sorted it out over the phone – no $5 credit though,

• I found two links to the new card on the barclaycard website yesterday. Clicking the ‘apply now ‘ button on one of the links takes you to a page telling you that they are updating the ihg credit card and you can apply for it from 23 June; the other link takes you to the application page for the hhonors card. My application was referred so yet to find out if I was accepted.

• Follow-up on this: you can not use the voucher at what it describes (and lists) as “distinctive hotels”. I know all-inclusive hotels were excluded so no change there, but is the “distinctive hotels” exclusion new?

• trickster says:

Hilton Surfers Paradise Residences
        Royale Palms Condominiums
        Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Hotel-Center Strip
        Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
        Hilton Club New York
        Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort
        Hilton Grand Vacations Suites – Las Vegas (Convention Center)
        Hilton Grand Vacations Suites at Hilton Hawaiian Village
        Valdoro Mountain Lodge by Hilton Grand Vacations Suites
        West 57th Street by Hilton Club
        Ho’olei at Grand Wailea
        Las Casitas, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
        Qasr Al Sharq, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

3. Redwood says:

Oh no! I’ve just applied for this card and got it last week, with a HUGE £10,000 credit limit! I was gobsmacked when I saw the limit but I’d much rather receive a free night than £10k limit. Honestly, 1k would have been just fine.
    So I wonder, given that I’ve only just got my card, what are the chances of me teasing this free night deal out of them? Any ideas how to go about it?

• If you ring and say you got a letter at home last night they might have sympathy. Probably only requires them to add the code to the system.

• Redwood says:

Thanks for the advice Raffles. I rang Marriott Rewards and explained the situation but they asked if I could send a copy of the mail to them as they have no access to promotions. I gave her the web page instead and she said she’ll speak to the Creation rep who sits in their office about making me part of this promotion but that person is on holiday till Monday. Hopefully they’ll be able to make an exception :). Got all my fingers crossed. Thanks again

• Col A-B says:

Oh My Word!!
      I’ve just applied & been given a £10k limit too – that’s a shocking amount!

4. Chico Dusty says:

Received this offer in the post yesterday. Was quite surprised to see Marriott finally improving their credit card offering. Will apply today.

5. I was wondering if you could spend the £200 pound slowly until you want the 6 month window.

• Not sure, you’d need to check the small print. That said, spending it promptly should get the voucher in your account by early August at a guess so scope to use it Aug / Sep whilst sunny.

• Redwood says:

The welcome pack doesn’t specify how this £200 needs to be spent. I’m guessing as long as your spend totals £200 in 6 months from account opening then you’ll be fine for the 10,000 reward points :)

6. I’m a historical member. Apart from Priceline bookings in the USA, I haven’t used Marriott for years. I just checked my account and see I still have 2,500+ points. :)

Do I need another credit card? No. Could I use a free night? Probably. So I may apply. without a space worked.

One curiosity. To check my account, I needed to apply for a new password. To do this, I needed to show my last name and ‘zip code’. My postcode xxy yxx was rejected. Huh? Then I remembered. American websites often find spaces challenging. Putting in xxyyxx without a space worked.

Promotion note for travellers to South Africa and elsewhere in Africa: Protea Hotels are about to join Marriott Rewards on a date in 2015 still to be announced. Some info at https://www.marriott.com/hotel-promotions/marriott-rewards-protea-hotels.mi

7. ankomonkey says:

Regarding the 2000 Marriott points for liking properties on Facebook/Twitter, how are people finding this? I am getting less than 50% success on Facebook. I’ve pretty much liked every property and less than half of them have sent the e-mail saying I’ll get the points if I still like them a week later. In month 1 only 1500 posted (6 e-mails) so I had to try several others until two more got the e-mail and, subsequently, the points. For month 2 I’ve exhausted the rest of the list and still only have 7 e-mails.

I’m hoping un-liking and re-liking the successful properties in later months will work. Otherwise there aren’t enough properties that post the points to reach the goal of 10000 points… Am I alone in having such poor success with getting these to work?

• I got 6 in month 1 and 5 this month …. just working down the Twitter list on Dr of Credit, not started on Facebook yet

• I got all 8 in month one, and zero across 2 account in month 2. Just about to go for month 3.

• Redwood says:

I got 8 in month 1 and only 5 x 250 points in month 2 despite getting 8 of the initial thank you for liking/following us emails, and a week later 6 emails to say you’ve been credited 250 points. Don’t know what went wrong but still happy

• First month was ok.

Facebook wasn’t working for me in the 2nd month, I liked 3 properties over a period of a week and got no emails so stuck with Twitter, then last week I got 3 emails one after the other saying I’d get 250 points for each of the Facebook properties so I assumed they had fixed a bug in the app.

I didn’t get the points though, my Twitter likes and tweets meant I couldn’t earn another 250 points as it would take me over 2000 for the 30 day period.

• Looks like the earning rate for Marriott Rewards Plus Points has completely changed.

I followed a page on Twitter and got an email saying I’d get 25 points for it, which didn’t seem right, just checked their website and all activities are now worth 25 points, you get nothing for liking a Facebook page according to the new chart. You can earn points for 4 activities in a 24 hour period now though.

8. danksy says:

I used your link for Marriot Rewards and took a punt on the card too 😀

9. Col A-B says:

When joining Marriott Rewards – any ideas if better to opt for the points or miles option when signing up? I’d be doing it purely to take advantage of this offer, not planning on using Marriott long term & more likely than not actually converting the bonus points to Avios rather than trying to take a night in a hotel.

10. Marcel says:

Hi,

Any ideas if you can get this bonus if you have previously had a Marriott CC? I have done but it was at a 5 or 6 years ago and I don’t know if the provider has changed since?

Cheers,

11. Trickster says:

Anyone know what the Creation & barclaycard policies are on household income for ‘homemakers’ applying? Cheers.

• mrtibbs1999 says:

if it was me I 100% wouldn’t be putting myself down as employed with a personal income of 32k 😉

12. I have had one of these for a couple of years,

I haven’t redeemed any points, but their customer service is excellent.

• Strongly disagree. In fact I would rate them as the worst credit card issuer I’ve ever dealt with.

13. Singing Dwarf says:

New terms and conditions for the 2,000 points per month offer as from 11th July 2014 https://www.marriottrewardspluspoints.com/terms

Points can only be obtained via re-tweetin on content on Twitter with the #MRpoints hashtag; social check-in on Facebook; write hashtags (#LoveMarriottRewards, #RenHotels, #AutographHotels) with the #MRpoints hashtag on Twitter or Instagram. A limit of four actions/100 points per 24 hours.

No more 250 points for following the Twitter account of hotels.

• Given that only about half of the hotels I followed produced the points and I never got the initial sign up points, I won’t be bothered about this any more.

• Singing Dwarf says:

Can still earn points – but only 25 – for following a hotel on Twitter/Instagram

14. Waiting for me on my return from a trip was my PIN and new Marriott card. Two observations:

1. There’s no mention of the free night mentioned in Raffles’s report. I applied using the code he offered.

2. Astonishingly, the activation line is a ripoff 0871 number! Activation – or as they call it ‘unblocking’ – can be made via the CS landline number 0121 712 5421.

Now to spend £200 and see whether the free night turns up.

BTW, I see that the card is a World Mastercard This will sit alongside my Tesco World Mastercard. I’m assuming that the Marriott World offer is similar to Tesco’s, i.e. nothing for me but more expensive to process for retailers.