New Avios flight finder tool – pick a date, see what cities are available

American Airlines recently launched a new interactive map to help people find reward seats.

It is pretty effective and it would be good to see British Airways launch something similar.  Until they do, though, you will find that the AA version still does the job nicely for British Airways Avios availability.

You can find the AA Award Map here.

Effectively, it lets you pick the dates you want to travel and then comes up with a list of possible destinations.  And it works for BA flights as well as AA.

For example, this is what you get for the weekend of Friday 16th to Sunday 19th October departing from London to anywhere in Europe.  It shows results for British Airways and other oneworld partners including airberlin.

Award Map 2

You need to tweak the options for the best results.

It suggest Gdansk in Poland as an option, for example.  The suggested routing was London to Frankfurt on BA, Frankfurt to Berlin on airberlin and Berlin to Gdansk on airberlin.  That is a little excessive for a weekend break so select ‘direct flights only’.

You should also ignore the mileage requirements shown.  These are what it would cost to book the flights using American Airlines miles rather than Avios points.

If you are the sort of person who first looks for a gap in their diary and then tries to find an idea for a holiday to fit around it, this could be a great help.

Up to 50% off Radisson and Park Inn rooms in the UK
New Tesco CD pre-order deals for 360 Avios or 375 Virgin miles

Comments

1. sandgrounder says:

Excellent! I shall have a little play with this later, but it looks promising!

2. I appreciate that Raffles has come at this from the Avios angle and rightly so as that’s the thrust of his blog. I also collect American Advantage miles and for those that might have the aadvantage credit card that brought a bonus I think that there is value in topping up those miles, especially when AA offer a 40% bonus since its possible to find one way flight redemptions from the USA and ELIMINATE other carriers, thus eliminating BA’s fuel surcharges. We got two AA businesses class fights direct lax lhr for £3 taxes. This method might not save much money but it does offer greater flexibility in mixing carriers.

3. Useful tool. But you can’t ignore the number of miles – entering a huge number helps.

(And why is BHX the default starting point? Does it have some not-quite-right location detection?)

• trickster says:

MAN was my default start location. I’ve never used the tool before, but I am in Manchester right now!

4. Well according to my search, with 2,000,000 miles and asking for ANY beach destination in October, it says the only place I can go is Barcelona!

5. Does it includes Iberia flights?

6. This is a very helpful however as others have said you need to change the number of miles to a very high figure to cover the options.
    Sadly, when availability is shown it is highly unlikely that BA are involved. Over a dozens searches this morning to continental USA for February and whilst AA clearly have availability in First and Business a subsequent search of BA.com comes up with zero for both BA and AA, so no real surpise there!

The tool highlights once again the appalling state of BA availability and their contempt for their frequesnt flyers and the avios scheme.

7. Andrew S says:

Hi Raffles – seems a great deal of interest in the “tools” to find award availability. Whats your opinion on the paid for alternatives? I hear some good things about the KVS tool, which at $75 for a year is not cheap, but in the context of a First or Club booking…

• They are all fairly useless for BA. This is because BA does not put award seats in their own fare bucket, so you can’t see them by looking in the GDS computers.

With KVS, for eg, you need to give it your BA log-in details and it checks for you – manually. If you need to check the same few routes every day it is quicker by logging into KVS and clicking on each save trip, but not hugely faster. It CANNOT email you when seats open up.

I know someone who has used the API for Avios Flight Finder to create an app that automatically emails you when certain flights open up but he is only using it privately. Anyone with a decent bit of coding experience should be able to create something similar, at least until Avios blocks access to their database via the app.

8. Doesn’t appear to work all that well for larger numbers of people. For example, it’s showing availability for five people LHR-PMI on 25/10 returning 02/11 (I assume with a change in MAD, can’t get the AA site to show the route), but the BA shows no availability on that route at all during the whole week. Am I doing something wrong?

(Before you say it, yes I’ve left it late to book for half term!).

9. OT, does anyone know if the IT glitch has been fixed regarding booking etihad flights with AA miles?

10. Doesn’t work for me on firefox, the map loads initially but when I change the departure airport it doesn’t refresh the map

11. Gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

I’m loving the random geographical subdivisions on the map.

12. bawayday is not available anymore?

13. Jonathan says:

Whilst a great idea I cannot get it to return sensible returns. And when I pick a random one it does find, nothing happens when I click on the ‘book now’ option. It’s all quite disappointing really.

14. TOM DAWSON says:

WHEN I HIT THE BOOK NOW OPTION NOTHING HAPPENS.

• Yes, seems to be not quite finished.
      How can I find the map from the menu options on AA?