Hilton / Amex ‘£50 cashback on £250 booking’ offer is back

American Express and Hilton Hotels have brought back their generous ‘£50 cashback for spending £250’ promotion.

It is restricted to the first 15,000 American Express cardholders to register their card via this website.  This offer should work with any UK Amex card, whether issued by MBNA, Lloyds or directly from Amex.

Hilton Diamond 2

The rules are relatively simple:

Valid for stays until 30th September

Minimum spend of £250 in one transaction

Valid at Hilton, Waldorf-Astoria and Doubletree properties (except Doubletree Liverpool)

NOT valid at Hampton properties

Valid only at UK hotels

The site states that you need to book directly at hilton.co.uk.  For advanced purchase stays this is correct.  However, if you are booking a ‘pay at check-out’ rate then I doubt it makes the slightest difference whether you book via the Hilton website or hotels.com etc.  Amex will pay the bonus regardless as long as it sees the relevant Hilton reference on your card statement.

This offer is hugely convenient for me because we will be spending £500 at a UK Hilton property this weekend.  I will be splitting that bill across two cards.

(To see our complete list of all current hotel promotions for the major chains, click here to visit our ‘Hotel Promos’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

New York Stories #3 - Getting Hilton HHonors benefits on a Hotels.com booking
New fare deals: Qatar from Edinburgh, Vueling, Etihad from Paris

Comments

1. I was happy to see this also, I’m taking the mother in law to London for a weekend to see a show and this means I can book a nicer hotel than I initially was going to.

2. AndyGWP says:

This is great combined with the 33% off summer sale… presume the same rule as last time applies (where if you prepay, it doesn’t matter when you stay), so this is perfect for me :)

I thought I’d made a mistake last time because I registered and paid using a supplementary card, but it’s worth noting that it still works / there aren’t any supplementary card conditions (well, there wasn’t last time)

3. Idrive says:

Please note the below are from the same offer loaded onto my card in my account at amex

UK Cards only. One £50 statement credit per Card
    Offer only applies to spend on the Card which offer is saved to. It does not apply to spend on supplementary or other Cards you may hold
    Available at Hilton and DoubleTree by Hilton (excluding DoubleTree by Hilton & Hotel Spa Liverpool) and Waldorf Astoria
    Not available at Hampton, Hilton Garden Inn and DoubleTree by Hilton & Hotel Spa Liverpool
    To book visit Hilton.co.uk. Valid on all spend at check out in the UK
    Offer ends 30 Sep 2014
    Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying transaction is refunded or cancelled
    This offer cannot be used in conjunction with other offers
    If you earn reward points, you will only earn reward points on the value of qualifying spend minus the statement credit
    Statement credits are issued within 3-5 business days of the qualifying spend, but may take up to 8 weeks to appear in your account
    Valid for the first 15,000 Cardmembers that register their Card
    For full Offer T&Cs and more details about statement credits click here. By saving the offer to your Card, you agree to the Offer Terms. Words in italics are defined in the Offer Terms

Anyone bought a giftcard in previous sale?

4. John Smith says:

I got this last week but it was when I log in to amex and its under the offers tailored to you section. I’ve got 3 cards and its available on 2 of them

5. Andrew S says:

Does anyone know if the full £250 must be done in a single transaction? T&C are not clear…

• Yes, it has to be in a single transaction – this certainly applied last time they ran the offer.

• Andrew S says:

Thanks Alan :(

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Of course, if you’re already spending £200 or thereabouts, you might as well go all out at the bar as the next £50 is free.

• Haha definitely! Also if you’re find out at checkout that you’re only going to be under by £5 or so then most Hiltons sell their branded bath ducks with the proceeds going to charity :)

6. They have misspelled ‘The Caledonian’ as ‘The Caledian’ in the terms and conditions

7. Nathan says:

I can see this offer on my platinum cash back Amex but not my gold charge??
    Weird

8. Be careful to check how any pre-payment will be made to your card as well if you planning to stay after 30th Sept.

Last time Hilton website said it would all be prepaid in one go, then AFTER I put all the card details in and pressed pay, a conformation came up saying only a deposit of £74 had been taken. As the total was only going to be £294 I thought I was in trouble but thankfully something went wrong and no payment was taken out at all so to sort this out I rang the Hotel direct and pre-paid the full amount directly with them.

• Yes, some properties also don’t charge your card until about a week before the stay, which could be a problem if you’re trying to get round the issue of a stay falling outwith the offer period 😉

9. A tenous link to Amex here… I hold an Amex Plat Card. I’ve already given a supplementary plat card to my wife. Can I give a supplementary Gold card to a family member who lives abroad. Will they have the full travel insurance benefits?

I’ve called amex about this – and keep getting different answers. They have said they would only post the card to a UK address though.

• Amex is fussy about ID for supps, I couldn’t get one for our nanny. Will struggle for overseas resident. Insurance may also be void as has restrictions on days you can be out of UK.

• idrive says:

I had no issues with supp cardholder. if they reside at the same address….it’s ok

also check insurance, they must be at your same address if i am not wrong to benefit.

Please note that after the first supp cardholder, they charge you to release the plat card!

10. Sideysid says:

Think this will go very well with my free night certificate in a few weeks to the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice.

I’ll use the certificate for the Sunday and then pay for an upgraded room the next night (which is £260 in the 40% off summer sale). Then this Amex offer should take it down to £210 – not bad.

As I’m a Hhonors gold, I’m thinking they may upgrade the room the first night if I contact the hotel and merge the two bookings? Here’s hoping anyway.

• Beware that the offer is technically only valid at UK properties, so although you might be lucky you’d have no recourse to Amex if the credit didn’t post.

11. I’ve got a £250+ room booked next week at the Waldorf Hilton London, have just registered my AMEX, will try and remember not to use my Hilton Platinum Barclay Card instead.

Thanks for sharing, good post.

12. pazza2000 says:

OT; there’s also a card offer of a £10 statement credit for a purchase (NO minimum spend) at the Sunglass Hut. Now I know they won’t sell any Sunglasses near this figure but perhaps they have some accessories which could essentially be free.

13. stevejnr says:

I can’t find where it states that this needs to be in one transaction but I remember reading it before – any idea if this has changed?

Extract from terms:
    ———————————————–
    C. Qualifying Spend
    Only valid transactions on your Saved Card during the Offer period are considered qualifying spend for the purposes of the Offer. Transactions that are subsequently cancelled or refunded will not count towards your qualifying spend for the purposes of the Offer.

Transactions on a supplementary card tied to the Saved Card account or on any other American Express card you hold will not count towards your qualifying spend. However, you may save the Offer separately to one of those cards.

The following transactions are not considered qualifying spend for the purposes of the Offer:

(i). transactions processed manually or using a paper based process (for example, transactions processed using a credit card imprinter);

(ii). transactions not made directly with the relevant merchant or where the merchant uses a merchant aggregator, electronic wallet or a third party (such as PayPal, iZettle or Square);

(iii). returned items; and

(iv). transactions which are subsequently cancelled or refunded.
    ———————————————–