Easier Avios: Tesco’s new system for video game pre-ordering

In case you are wondering what an article with this title is doing on a frequent flyer website, the reason is that Tesco often offers substantial bonus Clubcard points for pre-ordering video games.

Here is the last deal they ran – 500 Clubcard points (so 1,200 Avios or 1,250 Virgin Flying Club miles) for paying £5 to pre-order a forthcoming video game.  Which you conveniently fail to collect.

The pre-order process was a bit of a faff, though.  Stores would put out empty video game boxes, often mixed in with current releases.  You had to take the box to the till (where the cashier would probably be confused over what to do with it), leave the box behind and hope that the store would reshelve it so another HFP reader – or yourself! – could repeat the process later.

Luckily that all seems to be over.

Tesco is introducing racks like this:

Tesco pre-order 2

They contain small paper cards like this (apologies for the image quality):

Tesco pre-order 3

Simply take the card to the till, get it scanned and your video game is pre-ordered.  Because these stands and the paper cards don’t take up much space, we will hopefully see them in more stores.  It will also make the pre-order offers easier to spot.

Virgin increases credit card sign-up bonus to 10,000 / 25,000 Flying Club miles
Decent Starwood Hotels '3-4-2', '4-4-3' and '6-4-2' deals

Comments

1. My local store has one of these with about 5 different titles on it.

However, I didn’t see anything mentioned about bonus points?

• I guess thats why the article says

“Note that – at the moment – there is NO pre-order deal available with bonus Clubcard points, so don’t go rushing down to your local Tesco store to check this out.”

2. I wonder whether these can be used at the self-service tills.

• Probably. Under the ‘old’ system you could still take the plastic cases through the self scan, it’s just you wouldn’t get the confirmation receipt printed out.

• Hopefully it will be easier as you shouldn’t need to put anything on the scales after each scan.

3. When the last pre order promotion was on a few months back you had to take your cases to a manned till to get processed. There was a rumour around a few weeks back that an internal memo was spotted at a till about the last pre order offer and how abuse of the offer had been indentified and all large amounts of purchases are being investigated. May of been just a spoof though…

• Forgot to add that in the memo it also read that there will be no more pre order promotions due to the abuse of the offer?

4. sir crusticroc says:

Last time, I ran mine through the self checkout perfectly successfully. No slip, as noted above – but points posted fine.

• The time I tried self checkout it requested store approval. Mr Tesco came along, promptly mixed up my stack of preorder cases and I didn’t know where I was with them. Just tooka chance, put them all through again and got all the points. After that I stuck to regular till.

• sir crusticroc says:

Next time try a cheeky 26p pack of aspirin as your last item.

• They only require store approval as many of the games are age-restricted.
        It has nothing specific to do with a pre-order promotion.

Also, when the checkout person goes to approve the items, it brings up the full list of items requiring approval (ie listing all of the games) so a cheeky box of asprin or bottle of wine won’t make any difference. Asprin/wine will simply be one of the list of items on the page requiring approval. It won’t be the only one flagged up.

• sir crusticroc says:

These are busy people who want to move on. If they primarily have to approve 18 for the aspirin, they won’t look twice at the games. Or if you really want to be alan, you could stick the aspirin through first, ask for checkout approval, then put your games through after – the till won’t ask for 18 approval twice (in most cases).

Personally I can’t be bothered as I’ve never had any problems, all I’m doing is buying a pre-order game which is not shop-lifting & they usually don’t know that normally you’d need a till slip – often I explain to the operative why I don’t need the cases & sometimes offer to take them back to the shelf. Depends if I want more, of course.

• Exactly. They don’t care if you are buying a packet of pills, a trolley of booze or a dozen boxes of games. They just want an easy life and to make it to the end of their shift without getting moaned at by customers.

The last time the offer was on I just went to the self service tills with a page of barcodes I had printed off for the games (as no boxes in my local Mr T’s) & the staff member just came over & authorised them no problem at all.

• Last time when there was that decent list of games on promo i took some boxes to the electrical desk and paid there, then picked up a few more boxes and paid at the usual tills. One copy of each only of course. I always prefer to break up the transactions to avoid attention, despite some saying Tesco staff dont care what you do, in my experience and that of others there plenty of jobsworths in Tesco.

• Erico1875 says:

Yes I encountered one when i tried to buy fifa on 4 formats. He questioned why and when I told him “because I want to” he refused to put ghem through, saying i was abusing the system by trying to get 4 discounts..

• Yup, staff make up new rules on the spot. I was told once that I could only buy two 3V cards at a time, it was ‘a new rule’, actually all it was the 3V activation system playing up.

• sir crusticroc says:

Next time, think on your feet, dude?

5. gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

Are you sure this is new? Tesco Oxford (Cowley) had the same system 2 years ago.