Not had your free Shangri-La meal yet? Avios conversion now an option

A lot of Head for Points readers earned 1,000 – 1,200 Shangri-La Golden Circle points in a promotion they ran last October.  The reason this offer was so popular is that 1,000 points could be turned into a $100 Shangri-La food and drink voucher and, with Shangri-La due to open their hotel in The Shard in London, it offered a great opportunity for a couple to get $200 of free food and drink.

If you have not already redeemed your points, there is another option – for a limited period only.

Until the end of the year, Shangri-La Golden Circle has reduced the minimum number of points that can be transferred into airline schemes to 1,000.

Even better, there is a 25% bonus on airline transfers into British Airways, Miles & More, Enrich, Asia Miles, Velocity or Phoenix Miles.  BA transfers must be done by the end of November whilst the other five airlines are offering a bonus until the end of December.

Shangri La miles conversion

What does this mean?

You now have a choice.  Obviously it is SUBSTANTIALLY better value to use 1,000 Shangri-La points for a $100 food and drink voucher rather than convert them into 1,000 airline miles.

However, if you realistically think that you will struggle to use your points in a Shangri-La hotel before they expire, this offers you a decent opportunity to use them for something else.  Shangri-La is a partner with 27 airlines so you could receive (with the 25% bonus) 1250 Avios, 1250 Miles & More miles, 1000 Virgin Flying Club miles etc.

Here is the small print of the bonus miles promotion:

Eligible Golden Circle members will receive 25% Bonus Miles when they convert GC Award Points between noon (HK Time) of 3 October 2014  and noon (HK Time) of 31 December 2014 into miles of the selected participating Frequent Flyer Programmes (except British Airways Executive Club valid until 30 November 2014) . 3) A minimum of 1,000 GC Award Points is required for each conversion request with additional point conversions made in increments of 500 GC Award Points. 4) Once the conversion is made, no amendment or cancellation is allowed.  The conversion is non-reversible and non-redeemable for cash. 5) The 25% Bonus Miles will be awarded upon confirmation of the conversion request and credited to the selected Frequent Flyer Programmes within 6 to 8 weeks after the completion of promotion.

(Want to earn more hotel points?  To see our complete list of promotions from the major chains, click here to visit our ‘Hotel Promos’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Inside Etihad's 'The Residence' suite plus new business and first photos
Devaluations galore - East Coast Rewards, Collect More Fly, Leaders Club

Comments

1. When are the points set to expire?

2. Can someone please advise the validity period for Shangri-La Golden Circle points (ie. when would the 1200 points expire?). Cheers!

3. sandgrounder says:

12 months I think. mine go at the start of next year

• No, I believe it’s 24 months, plus the remainder of the year.

• Here you go:

WHEN WILL MY GC AWARD POINTS EXPIRE
      GC Award Points will expire on an annual basis up to three calendar years (1 January to 31 December) after the end of the membership calendar year of accrual. Once expired, the GC Award Points cannot be redeemed for awards or other products/services.

• sandgrounder says:

Think I misred the statement, ‘Points will expire on the 31/12/2014’ is a seperate section. Well I think I will risk a devaluation and hang on to the points for a convenient time to dine in that case.

4. We have 2 lots of 1000 points to use. Was planning on using them at the Shard but we’re off to Hong Kong soon so was wondering whether there are any decent uses of the points there?

• The Chinese restaurant in the hotel on the Island is I think one star. We ate there with points last year, but it wasn’t cheap. I think we spent US$200 – we had points to use, but this was the maximum limit. I think that may have changed now.

We also had a meal at the place by the pool, again to use up points that would otherwise expire. Nice enough as it was free, but I wouldn’t rush back (we were staying in the Conrad so it was convenient enough)

• Same 2 set of points as yourself, which were used in Hong Kong earlier this year. There are two Shangri La hotels, one on either side of the bay. We used the points for the buffet at each hotel, both of which were excellent, the Island one being slightly more upscale. On both occasions we used points and then had to top it up with a small amount of cash, but well worth it for the experience. If you do go, book ahead as they are often fully booked.

You also have the option of using at Traders Hotel, which I imagine would also be excellent.

5. Dudeabides says:

There website isn’t the best, when i go to convert it says i don’t have enough points to convert when i have 1200.
    Tried numerous times but it wont go through.

6. I must say we had an excellent dinner at the TING restaurant using the vouchers. We had starters, mains, one dessert, two glasses of wine and a bottle of water and only went around £10 over the voucher amount.

I also teamed this up with x2 £20 credit (two iphones) on Uber so had two UberLux journeys there and back to the Hilton Park Lane. I also used my free night certificate for this and got and a room upgrade overlooking the city, lounge access and free breakfast using the Gold status upgrade from the milepoint membership.

The whole night out cost me just over £15, who said romance was dead?

This was all through articles on site, thanks Raffles.

• ankomonkey says:

Well done. Sounds like you maxed out on your points deals :)

• I’d do the same with my points but it seems sad to waste all that luxury on the wife. :-)

• Had a similar dining experience at The Shard/Ting just yesterday – Head for Points has really changed my life(style), thanks Rob! UBER took us there and back, too. I had referred Mrs Volker to UBER, so she got her discount – does anybody know how long I have to wait to get the referral credit? I had assumed that would happen straight after the “referral ride”…

• What's the Point says:

Sideysid – that sounds almost identical to our night out. Although we were saying at the Hilton Doubletree Tower bridge (got the £50 credit for spending £250 via Amex) and earned a shed load of BA + Hilton points for the stay as well!

The meal at the Shangri-La was pricey, but the £60 off helped. Plus the free 2 Uber taxis.

• Wife must genuinely love you, don’t tell her, Sidey 😉

7. It didn’t work for me. I have 1800 points and tried to convert 1000.

Convert Points to Miles
    To convert your GC Award Points to airline miles, simply select your desired Frequent Flyer Programme Membership below. Each conversion request requires a minimum of 2,500 GC Award Points with subsequent 500-point increments.

• Very weird. Seems very unlikely to be a targeted offer. Might be worth dropping them an email.

• I am having the same problem (1,270 points will not convert to BA or Lufthansa) and am emailing them now. The screen shot I am sending them is funny as it states on the same page “You now only need 1,000 points” *and* “Your points balance is 1,270” *and* “Your have insufficient points”. I will update with any response.

• The reply from Shangri-La:
          ———————————————
          Dear Mr. Parker,

Greetings from Golden Circle Member Services.

Thank you for your e-mail of 15 November 2014, concerning converting your GC Award Points to Airline Miles.

We are sorry to learn that you had faced difficulties in converting your GC Award Points to Airline Miles online. Please be informed that we will look into this matter and rectify the issue as soon as possible. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Nevertheless, we will be able to assist you with the points conversion as requested below. We are pleased to inform that Golden Circle members may convert a minimum of 1,000 GC Award Points (with increments of 500 points) into airline miles with our participating airline partners, from now until 31 December 2014. In addition, members will also receive 25% Bonus Miles when converting their GC Award Points into British Airways Executive Club points (valid until 30 November 2014).

Kindly note that the conversion ratio is generally one GC Award Point to one airline mile (one to one), but several participating Airline Partners may have different conversion rates. The converted airline miles will only appear in your respective frequent flyer membership account 4 – 6 weeks after they have been converted.

We would highly appreciate your attention on the following details:
          GC Award Points will be deducted from the Member’s account at the time the conversion is made.
          Once the points the conversion is made, no cancelation or amendment is allowed.

Should you wish to proceed with the conversion using your 1,000 GC Award Points, kindly advise us of your registered name on your British Airways Executive Club Frequent Flyer Programme membership card, so that we can update it in your membership profile. In addition, please also inform us of your date of birth and home mailing address, for verification purposes.

Mr. Parker, we look forward to hearing from you soon. In the meantime, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are also pleased to inform you that Golden Circle Member Services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You may contact us at any of the international toll-free numbers listed on our website or you may e-mail us at golden.circle@shangri-la.com.

—————-

I have sent through the details they ask for and hopefully the can do the conversion.

8. Link to the promotion landing page here:

Raffles, It is also worth noting that the BAEC 25% conversion bonus is only valid until 30 November 2014, not 31 December as for the other schemes.

9. I have a balance of 1000 points that I’m trying to convert to BA Executive Club and I get this message:

Unfortunately you do not have enough GC Award Points for your points conversion request, please earn more GC Award Points by enjoying more Shangri-La experiences.

Odd

10. So if you got the bonus points from last Octobers offer (was it really that long ago?!) – will they expire at the end of this year?

Do you need to just convert them before then or can will any vouchers expire by then. Thanks

11. Not sure why I’m getting excited 😉

1250 Avs is only £5.20 in Tesco Clubcard points lol

I think I’d prefer to rescue my Shangris and at least have the opp of $100 x 2 nosh-up in London next year sometime 😉

12. I had my account blocked too which I subsequently reset by sending scan of passport. All sorted out very quickly and account now shows as points expiring December 2015. This is very handy as we are travelling en familie to bangkok July 2015 and plan to use credit plus my wife’s at the Bangkok Shangri las for an authentic Thai meal at the Salathip Restaurant. The 2 lots of credits should just about cover the meal. thanks for tips on the promo last year Rob.

• If these come as vouchers anyone can use and some of you won’t be able to make it to a participating resteraunt, I’d be willing to take them off your hands for the cash value of the associated Tesco Clubcard vouchers needed to get the equivalant Vios points; £5.20.

Any takers ?!

Miffed I missed out on this deal last October (foolishly hadn’t found this excellent site at that point).

• I doubt anyone would take you up on the offer of swapping a $100 food voucher for £5.20 cash if they could be redeemed by anyone!

They’d get for more than that on ebay for a start!

At the very least you could offer people a price equivalent to 1p per avios (ie £12.50) for the $100 voucher. I still don’t think you get any takers though.

13. I was in the Traders Dubai a couple of weeks ago for a four night stay.

I used 2 x $50 vouchers for lunch and dinner (on different days) it was easy enough to spend and the rib-eye steak was delicious!

Thanks Raffles, wouldn’t have seen the promo without reading headforpoints

14. ankomonkey says:

Has anyone eating in the Paris Shangri-La, either La Bauhinia set lunch or afternoon tea? If so, how did you find it?

15. Reactivated my a/c without the faff of sending passport etc, just did it all online under ‘Activate my account’.

1,000 Points will expire on 31 Dec 2015

So you get another year

16. Raffles covered this a while ago.

You need to send them photo ID to confirm you are real people. Check old Shangri-la posts for full info.

17. Roger Carpenter says:

I rang up today to find out the details of sorting this out, but they simply guided me through re-activating the accounts and they are now live again, and expiry set to 2015. No paperwork required.

18. I remember that but they don’t ask for anything at first, I think I have to elicit a reply first?

19. I just emailled them the docs without waiting for a reply and it was sorted within 24 hours

20. Cheers