(EDIT March 2017: whilst originally published in 2014, the sign-up code in this article still works OK so please feel free to use it.)
Until the end of 2014, GetTaxi will cap the price of a taxi ride up to 10km at £5. The only catch is that you pick up your car in outer London, ie within Zones 3 to 6 of the London travel map.
Don’t worry about making your cabbie poorer. GetTaxi is subsidising this promotion and whilst you will only pay £5 via your credit card, GetTaxi will ensure that he receives the standard fare.
Remo Gerber, CEO of GetTaxi UK, said in a press statement: “We believe by introducing these fantastic flat & fixed prices, consumers will see the huge benefits of taking Black Taxi’s over minicabs, plus all our drivers are fully licensed and undergo extensive CRB checks. It’s definitely the safest way to get around London this festive period.”
GetTaxi is also launching fixed fares between various points, on the condition that you state your destination when booking via the app. It quotes examples of Richmond to London Bridge being fixed at £30 whilst Greenwich to Mayfair would be fixed at £22.
Here are the full terms and conditions for this promotion:
1. £5 offer and fixed prices only apply when you are notified by in-app pop up. If no app pop up is shown, the journey does not qualify
2. £5 offer and fixed prices apply to journeys starting in travel card zones 3 – 6
3. Journeys up to 10km qualify for £5 offer. Customers will be notified by app pop-up. If no app pop-up is shown, the journey does not qualify
4. Journeys that start in zones 3 – 6 and are longer than 10km will be charged at a competitive fixed price
5. £5 offer and fixed rate journeys apply to card bookings only
6. User must enter pick up and destination to qualify
7. All qualifying £5 offer journeys are based on the centre to centre distance between postcodes being less or equal than 10KM. Actual driven distance may be higher or lower than 10 KM
8. 2 minutes free waiting time, thereafter £0.5/per minute
9. A change in destination or additional stop points are not covered by this fare. If a change to journey occurs, the taxi meter will apply
10. £5 offer is not valid for business/account rides
11. £5 offer is not valid for pick-ups from airports
If you have not tried GetTaxi before, you can get a £10 ride credit by using my refer-a-friend code. Unlike Hailo, GetTaxi has no minimum fares, no cancellation fees and also allows you to book a taxi in advance.
To claim your £10 free credit and book your £5 rides, download the app from your local app store and (once you have verified your mobile phone number) click on the ‘Coupon Code’ box on the menu. (A quick way of downloading the app if you are reading this on your phone is to click here and then click on the appropriate Android or iOS button.)
In the ‘Coupon Code’ box – which is on the personal details menu – enter code GTEWGXS. £10 of credit will be dropped into your account.