100 free Virgin Atlantic (or American) miles for almost nothing

Hotel booking site PointsHound is similar to Kaligo and Rocketmiles.  In return for booking your hotel through their site, you are rewarded with a chunk of airline miles.

British Airways Executive Club is not a PointsHound partner.  However, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club is.

For a limited time, you can earn 100 Virgin miles simply for registering with PointsHound.   Click on this link and you will be taken to a special Virgin sign-up page.

PointsHound

The process is a little fiddly.  After inputting your name and email address, you will suddenly jump to the main PointsHound home page.  You need to click on ‘Level 1’ in the top right corner and select ‘My Account’.

You will see 100 Virgin Atlantic miles pending.  However, before you can receive them, you need to add your Virgin Flying Club account details on this page.

You don’t need to do anything else to receive your 100 miles.  If you do book a hotel with PointsHound, however, you will receive 1,000 bonus Virgin Flying Club miles on your first booking.

And an American Airlines option ….

There is an identical version of this promotion for American Airlines which can be found here.

One reason to consider this instead of Virgin, if you have an AA account, is that the 100 miles will reset the expiry clock on your AA account.

The ‘first booking’ bonus with American is more generous at 2,000 miles.

(Want to earn more Virgin Flying Club miles?  Click here to see recent articles on Virgin Atlantic, Little Red and Flying Club, and click here for the latest news on earning and spending other airline and hotel points.)

50% of the cost of my Virgin America flight is returned via points.com!
How to indirectly pay your January tax bill with an American Express card

Comments

1. Done, thanks Rob.

2. AviosNewbie says:

Does it not reset the Virgin expiry clock?

3. Thanks Rob, I’m a month awat from AA expiring so this should do the trick :)

4. Cannot seem to see where you will get the AA points “just for registering” ?Anyone else successfully done this

• After registering, go to My Account. There is a Loyalty Programs section in which you can add your AA / Virgin account details.

Below this section is your Bonus History. My 100 points Signup Bonus is “Pending”

5. Think Square says:

Doesn’t seem to give you the 100 points if you log in with an existing Pointshound account

• Worth noting, if you have Virgin status and have already registered, that you could probably open another PointsHound account and use a different Virgin number (given that your number changes every time your status level changes). My Virgin account has 3 numbers attached to it – my current Gold one, my old Silver one and my old base level one.

• Hi Rob, are you happy to share with us how you achieced Virgin gold? You rarely mention flying with them and your emphasis seems to be on BA, Air Berlin and Gulf carriers here. Just curious if you do a lot of travel that never reaches realm of HfPs, and whether you find Cirgin gold gets better recognition than your BA status? I’m still toying with idea of diversifying into FC but I’m afraid they will scrap HKG which is only route I would likely use.

• pazza2000 says:

Little Red > BA status match offer, I suspect :)

How do I find out my old VS number?

• IIRC status match from BA Gold? That’s how I got mine 😀

• As pazza2000 says, it was a status match via a Little Red flight.

Best £40 I ever spent, just about! Had a pleasant morning with a friend drinking in the BA Galleries First lounge in T5, we took a BA Reward Flight Saver to Manchester and then Little Red straight back.

10,000 VS miles come as part of the match plus I got another 2,000 on my birthday. I can also now do Little Red redemptions for just 2,500 miles return (Gold benefit). I also have another Gold card I can use for any other status matches that come along where a BA Gold would not be accepted.

• ankomonkey says:

Like your thinking!

• Hmm, in that case you can also get 500 virgin miles for signing up to e-rewards each time your status changes

6. whiskerxx says:

Thanks Rob. A great way to reset my clocks!

7. Iainlondon says:

How long does it take for the 100 miles to credit your account? This could actually save me £30…. Thanks!

8. Miles have posted in less than 24hours and reset both mine and hubby accounts as did one for him as well, with a different computer, as it recognised the desktop.

Thanks again Rob.

9. My 100 have posted from joining this morning at 7am.

10. pazza2000 says:

Strange, neither my VS or AA have posted…

11. pazza2000 says:

Still no VS/AA miles, signed up on the iPhone one after the other, Perhaps points hound recognised this… Could really do with the easy miles to extend the longevity of my AA

• There are some bargains to be had booking via pointshound especially if you need to too up your AA account. I have been waiting I reach 50,000 for a while after that great AA offer (40,000) some years back. This can now get me a return flight at the next level and give me more options. In my view this AA offer would benefit from an article by itself but thankfully I read on to the bottom!
      Thanks raffles.

12. pazza2000 says:

Odd, both the VS / AA miles haven’t showed up. I’m assuming PH identified I had opened two account from the same location one after the other. Trouble is, I used fake emails and habe forgotten what they were to check in on it, so my own fault, Need to think of another route to earn an AA mile to keep my account active, could always transfer SPG though I think there’s a 1k minimum.

13. Looking at my Pointshound account shows my daughter (;0) signed up on the 12th and the points were submitted to the program on the 16th.
    Nothing on AA as of yet.