The disappearing Tesco / Avios competition, and watch out for the Clubcard Flash Sale

Love Clubcard, don’t collect Avios?  You should be reading our sister site, Shopper Points (, which covers the latest Clubcard and Nectar offers without any distracting frequent flyer talk!  Why not check it out now?

Whilst not necessarily a case for Sherlock Holmes, I feel a search party is required to track down the missing Tesco / Avios competition for Spring.

Last week, British Airways emailed a lot of Executive Club members with details of a competition to win a meal at The Savoy hotel in London.  You would receive one entry for every 500 Clubcard points you exchanged.

A couple of days later, Virgin launched their 30% conversion bonus from Clubcard points into Flying Club miles.  British Airways also announced the Avios devaluation.

Mysteriously, the Clubcard website now features a different Avios competition.  Instead of The Savoy, you can win one of 500 prizes of 1,500 Avios points.  You will receive one entry for every £2.50 of Clubcard vouchers you exchange.

Details can be found on the ‘Tesco to BA’ conversion page here.

Perhaps someone thought that a prize which required you to get to London (flights were not included!) was a bad idea in a week when members who live in the regions have already been given a kick in the teeth via the Avios changes!

However, before you convert ….

Clubcard Flash Sale

Tesco is about to launch a series of six Clubcard Boost ‘flash sales’.  For a very limited period of time you will receive ‘enhanced’ conversion rates with certain partners.

Full details of the Clubcard Boost flash sale can be found here.

The partners are:

Cineworld (February 12th) – usual offer is £4.50 of vouchers for an adult ticket

Ticketmaster (February 16th) – usual offer is £20 of vouchers for £40 code

iTunes (February 18th) – usual offer is £17 of vouchers for a £25 code

Pizza Express (February 23rd) – usual offer is £2.50 of vouchers for a £10 code

Spafinder (February 26th) – usual offer is £10 of vouchers for a £20 code

National Railcards (March 3rd) – usual offer varies, eg £15 of vouchers for a 16-25 yrs card

We don’t know how much better the ‘flash sale’ deals will be, but if you use any of the companies above you might want to keep hold of your vouchers just in case.

Cathay Pacific launches Dusseldorf to Hong Kong - a new Avios option
Avios changes 9: what will happen to partner airline earning rates?

1. “Pizza Express (February 23rd) – usual offer is £2.50 of vouchers for a £10 code”

I don’t want to be THAT guy, but… Maybe the other way around?

• General Mayhem says:

I think it means that one voucher (£2.50 in value) will give you a code worth a tenner to spend on pizza.

I will refrain from further comment!

• I had a look at this briefly last weekend and T&C seem to prevent you from using this with other discounts. So if you’re used to getting your 40% off mains at pizza express, this can’t be used in conjunction with this voucher. So arguably its more like £2.50 CC for £6 discount equivalent.

• The Tesco vouchers can be used on Saturdays though whereas the 40% off vouchers usually can’t so they do have extra value over other offers in certain circumstances.

2. Both promotions underwhelming:

As you mention Rob, the Savoy prize would mean travel to London for those in the regions.

Then, no doubt, an availability issue-this time a table as opposed to a seat :) .

3. Flight Risk says:

I’m always confused around the ticketmaster offer, I don’t believe ticketmaster even make that much margin on there sales.

Is it correct if I was to buy a £120 v festival ticket from ticketmaster I could do so using 3 x £20 clubcard voucher redemptions – no small print or exclusions?

• Yes that is correct.

• Well there are only a few exclusions and small print anyway.

They can’t be used for “Official Platinum tickets”, a max of 5 eCards can be used per transaction (ie £200 of ticketmaster value) and they can only be used for events taking place in the UK billed in GBP. Vouchers are valid for 6 months.

• sanfgtounder says:

It works fine, 2p of value but is as good as cash if you are going anyway. I combined with an SPG redemption at Aloft Excel to see Katy Perry last year at the O2. Nice couple of days.

4. ankomonkey says:

I was hoping the Boost Flash sale may be more interesting, with increased redemption value for 24 hours (one partner per day) on a wide range of partners.

5. Article suggestion: how we’re entering the end phase of a restructuring of the airline business kicked off by 9/11 and low cost carriers – and how that’s leading to a raft of changes in loyalty schemes.

6. The 1500 avios offer was launched on the 24th Jan before the devaluation via email from

7. I have used the auto transfer for Tesco c/c to get my Avios miles for the past few years. What’s the best advice for this – should I be collecting the vouchers to wait for any bonus airmile offers? Does that mean those who automatically transfer their miles never get the bonus airmiles offers?

8. Well apparently Virgin is kicking back in the face of BA. Along with the Tesco 30% transfer promotion yesterday I got a letter in the post and you can now get double miles with the Virgin cards. That’s 1 point per mile the Virgin visa and two miles with the American Express card for each £1. This is until the end of March.

• They may still choose to devalue those points once you have earned them though.

• True, but you are better of with double miles, can compensate for an eventual devaluation which I don’t think will happen

• Not seen this!
      Cant find this in the Promotional section on the MBNA site either?

• MBNA had this promotion on the diamond club card last year, however, it was targetted to people who had used the card sparingly.

• David, please explain better because to me it seems you just did not know that MBNA were doing the Virgin cards. As you put it, it seems this is a new product but it’s not. Am I just wrong in reading your comment?

9. Shame there is no goldsmiths bonus

10. I got an email from Avios about the current competition on Tesco Clubcard.

I had assumed Tesco accidentally put it up against BA as well, and then realised many people had converted already so couldn’t exactly take it down.

11. pazza2000 says:

A little OT. Does anyone know of any issues if transferring Clubcard to an Avios(.com) account that is part of a Household account? I’m not sure why Clubcard don’t allow you to simply enter the Avios account number.

• Scottnothing says:

I had this issue as well – it’s easily resolved by a call to Avios (or by using their online chat facility). Tesco didn’t want anything to do with my missing points when I called them about it .

12. Lady London says:

In case it helps anyone in the regions left bereft by BA, SAS just sent an email this morning saying they are introducing direct flights between some summer dates from Edinburgh to Copenhagen, and Bristol direct to Stockholm.

• Note one needs 30.000 SAS Eurobonus points to fly from London to Copenhagen which cost 9.000 Avios with BA. I doubt Edinburgh and Bristol will be different.

• Just though I’d take a look at the SQ price which is little better at 25k.
        OT but noticed that weirdly J from Europe to Middle East is 50k return (less than Europe-Europe!), even cheaper than AA (F is 70k). Lots of airline choice too.

13. OT but I just received response from Amex on my supplementary applications on my Amex Plat and they want certified copies of ID and original bills / bank statement for each supplementary application. Such a pain!

• Also, at the same time I received 2 other letters from them stating that my supplementary application had been unsuccessful – neither letter indicated the name of the applicant that has been unsuccessful though. These points are going to be more hassle than they are worth it seems.

• I have had all five of mine approved and so far 2 lots of 10k points have come through. (I did two sup card apps earlier in Dec and the remaining three in Jan).

• They only do this when they cannot electronically verify the identity of the person. They asked for this when I tried to get our nanny a card a couple of years ago, eventually I gave up.

14. Scottnothing says:

Sure “every little helps” but 1,500 Avios is a joke of a prize. I’d frankly prefer dinner at the Savoy and would much (much) prefer they give the total prize pool of 750,000 Avios to one lucky punter.

• My thoughts exactly about the 750,000 Avios!!

• avidsaver says:

Agree100%. 1500 Avios is a rubbish prize and I’m sure will tempt very few to convert their cc points.

• Agree too but only problem is that every quarter I need to convert the oldest ones otherwise they expire.

Anyone know a way around this?

• Yes. You redeem £2.50 per transaction, the minimum per voucher. The rest is given back to you as ‘change’ with another 2 years.

If your vouchers are £50 vouchers, you can get £47.50 reissued via this method.

15. Many thanks. Will help me sit on them until a BA bonus period or also thinking about maybe doing Necker Island. Time will tell.

16. The chef’s table competition is now showing on the Tesco website for BAEC conversions.