Good Avios deal with The Gourmet Society for just £4.49!

Tucked away in the latest issue of BA’s The Club magazine is an interesting offer from ‘dining discount’ group The Gourmet Society.

Despite the posh name, The Gourmet Society is effectively a plastic card which gives you discounts at a huge number of restaurants (6,500!) up and down the UK.  I got one a few weeks ago, paid for with some East Coast Rewards points which were due to expire.

What is handy about it is that you can operate it entirely via their smartphone app – you don’t need to carry the card around.  I have only used it once so far but it got me £10 off a meal with the family in Café Rouge!  Prezzo, Strada and Loch Fyne are also involved but there are many independent places as well.

Gourmet Society

The British Airways offer is attractive:

You pay £4.49 for a three-month trial membership of The Gourmet Society

You receive 250 Avios points

You receive a £40 voucher valid at Naked Wines.  There is no minimum purchase and they recommend you use it to buy a £40 half-case of Customer Favourites.  All you pay is £4.99 towards postage.  There is a limit of one free case of wine per household and the voucher must be used within 30 days.

To take advantage of this deal, you need to visit the British Airways Gate 365 shopping portal – it is not available if you go directly to The Gourmet Society website.  Click through to Gate 365 from the link on this page.

The deadline for signing up is March 11th.

Fed up with BA On Business? Double points with PartnerPlusBenefit and a sign-up bonus
Sign-up bonus on the Emirates credit cards doubled - worth a look?

Comments

1. Frenske says:

I find often with these kind of deals, that you find similar deals on the restaurant own websites or discount websites such as vouchercodes.co.uk, etc.

• I have had one of these memberships for about six months as an option with a Lloyds Bank Club account. As Frenske says there are often similar offers from the chain restaurants. The independents who accept the card are usually second tier places who area struggling for business. Naked Wines vouchers are not an endangered species either.
      Having said that, this is a way of getting a cheap trial. I am sure that others will say that they have found them to be a boon.

2. Be warned

Gourmet Society make it is difficult as possible to cancel your membership (you need to send your card back by registered post).

They also send you a mammoth amount of email

After I joined I found my credit card was being fraudulently charged by a Panama company each month. I cannot prove the connection with GS but they were the only people I had supplied my card details to at the time so they are high on my suspect list

I would rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than get involved with these people again

3. The offer is also available via the Avios site, for what it’s worth…

4. andy stock says:

Already have a taste card which I get free from my employer so for only 250 points for £4.99 its not worth the time spent canceling it before 3 months.

5. John G says:

It should also be mentioned that Gourmet Society cards also give 2 for 1 entry to No1 Traveller lounges and I think some other airline lounges.

• That looks a good lounge access deal. May sign up but I’m always wary of websites that aren’t up front about the ongoing costs.

• I see what Davis above means about large amounts of email. I could not find mention of the lounges on the web site so sent an enquiry. They asked for all of my details although I was logged in and then sent three simultaneous acknowledgements of the enquiry.

• I thought it was TasteCard that did the 241? I know that GS is about to launch a lounge deal as it was in an email this week.

• John G says:

This is definitely also available via GS. It is on their website if you search restaurants in the vicinity of your favourite airport!

6. Mr Bridge says:

AA members can get free 2 months.. log on to member benefits
    Rail-card holder can register on railcard website and get 2 months free.
    watch MSE 2 months free just given last month, promo runs a couple of times a year.
    you can get 25% off your bill at the sofitel bistro at Gatwick north with GS, a good saving.

7. I’ve had a gourmet card, for years, the last one I got 18 months for £29.99.
    I also have a tastecard, both work well imo.
    The GS card is accepted at our favourite Indian restaurant and saved £100’s over the years.

8. It is there as I used it this morning.

• Ok, thanks.
      I was able to find it by clicking on “offers” first, then letter “G”, For some reason didn’t come up as a straight search.

9. You can also get Gourmet Society membership as a Club Lloyds Member. Which will make my Club Lloyds account even better if they bring out a Lounge Offering.

• My understanding is that it is half-price access to Servisair, No 1 Traveller and Plaza Premium via an odd Asian consolidator I had never heard of. More as when ….

• I hope that you will keep us informed. 241 lounge deals at Manchester with extra legroom on low cost carriers make up for much that BA has taken away.

10. Despite what I said, I have bought a temp membership to get the wine.

Does the voucher come by email?

11. Scott Miller says:

Cheapest half-case on the Naked Wines site seems to be £65 – where the £40 version?

12. I emailed them about the lounge access and here is their reply:

You can use your Gourmet Society card to enjoy 2 for 1 entry at No 1. Traveller lounges at: Stansted Airport Gates 49 and 16, Heathrow Terminal 3, Gatwick North and South Terminals and Birmingham Airport. Full details of the offer can be found below.

The 2 for 1 offer refers to the entry price per person for up to three hours access before your flight, and includes complimentary food, drink and use of the lounge facilities. This offer is subject to availability and members are not able to book in advance to receive the Gourmet Society discount at No.1 Stansted. The discount will be given upon entry to the lounge. Please note the lounge has a smart/casual dress code.