It’s back – earn 3,000 Avios for a £60 Tesco grocery spend (1,200 Avios for existing customers)

Tesco has launched another promotional code for Tesco grocery shopping, this time via a tie-up with vouchercodes.co.uk. It isn’t quite as impressive as the last Tesco code but it is still worth having:

1,250 bonus Clubcard points on a £60 grocery spend

Code is XXFHML

Code expires on Monday 23rd March – you need to receive the delivery, or do ‘click and collect’, by this date

This code is aimed at customers whose accounts have not had a Tesco Grocery order before.

It will also work OK if you have not done a Tesco Grocery order for some time, potentially a year or so. I got it to work successfully on my account as the screenshot below shows.

Meanwhile, moneysavingexpert.com has a new code for EXISTING customers:

500 bonus Clubcard points on a £60 grocery spend

Code is XXMGGG

Code expires on Wednesday 25th March – you need to receive the delivery, or do ‘click and collect’, by this date

A Tesco home delivery van

The quickest way to see if the ‘new customer’ code works on an existing account is to go to the Tesco grocery site and do a dummy order for £60 (search for ‘veuve’ and put two bottles in your basket!). Click checkout, select a random delivery slot, go to the payment page (do not put in a credit card number) and enter the code. The box is halfway down the payment page.

If it has worked, you will see this on your screen:

Tesco3

The voucher is then stored on your account. You do NOT need to complete the dummy order – the code will still be there if you do another grocery order later on.

If the code does not work on your account, you may want to consider opening a new Tesco Clubcard account just for this transactionI would only do this if the account is in a different name to your other account – hopefully someone who shares a BA household account with you so that you can transfer the points to Avios and access them yourselfAnother option would be to use a work address or another family member.

Alternatively, use the moneysavingexpert.com code for 500 points.  It is not recommended to have multiple accounts in your own name at the same address.

If you don’t want to order your groceries from Tesco, consider spending £60 on some wine, nappies, dishwasher tablets or other expensive branded items which you buy anyway. It is a very easy 3,000 Avios or 3,125 Virgin Flying Club miles if you only buy items you need anyway.

Save on BA short-haul flights by throwing in a car or hotel!
Bits: Indian Visa changes, Sofitel Terminal 5 back as a 'secret hotel', how HFP impacted East Coast Rewards

Comments

1. Used it last night, was successful, and I have an online shop every week :-)

2. If that code doesn’t work for your account code XXMGGG may give 500 clubcard points on a £60 spend online for all customers until Wednesday 25th March (thanks to hotukdeals mega thread on tesco clubcard – not as good but ok if you shop online anyway 1200 avios. I haven’t tried it.

3. grex9101 says:

Raffles, I really wish you’d stop encouraging people to set up “new” Tesco accounts to take advantage of these offers. There’s plenty of stories online about discounts not being honoured and when queried, Tesco have called out the individuals involved and refused to honour. They identify accounts by matching names/addresses, telephone numbers and even payment details.
    You should at least add a warning when discussing this sort of thing.

• Fair point, will edit

• grex9101 says:

Thanks for that.

I think it is fair to say that if the code works on your existing account, it generally will be honoured.

Full disclosure: I had around 20 (!) Tesco accounts at one point. While I didn’t ever have any discounts rejected, the majority of my accounts were “merged” without my say-so. I only discovered this when I noticed that my contact details had “synced” across the multiple accounts. When I queried by phone, I was haughtily told that they had identified my alternate accounts.

Long story short, I only have an account for each family member now. All have different emails/payment methods/contact numbers. I still get quite a few discounts to work as they don’t get much activity. Lesson learned !

• Waribai says:

Yes, that happened to me! No hard feelings though. Win some, lose some and I appreciate the effort you put into finding good deals!

4. Anon – your comment went into spam and I just saw it as I clicked delete, but it was too late! Sorry! I found it and edited it back in.

5. John Gallagher says:

doesn’t work on mine or my wife’s account yet neither of us have done an order for well over a year :(

6. DeeBuzzby says:

Thanks Jerry, just used the Hotukdeals code ( XXMGGG) when ordering £60 online Tesco shop just now. Says 500 bonus points added. A good start to the day! I used the “3500 points on first online shop” last month so didn’t want to risk it again! Wasn’t planning to shop today but hey! Always worth topping up the wine racks.

7. Why do these offers always pop up a couple of days after I’ve already done an order!! :-/

• Tariq, you can go in and change your order up until the night before – my order for Saturday morning is complete, but I can do anything to it up until 23:46 on Friday – so I’ve just added the 500 point code.

Thanks all.

8. Got this 100 point code GRNRTN to work with XXFHML code.

• Colin JE says:

That 100 point code didn’t work for me., but the main 1250 points code worked great. Thanks Rob.

9. Nick Massey says:

Code worked for me which was a surprise as I had a delivery only about a month ago! Thanks for the heads-up!

10. Just to let other readers know, this worked on my existing account, I haven’t done an online shop with them for over 6 months! And as an extra bonus, I got another 175 points for using some e coupons that came up when i signed intomy account! Cheers

11. Justin Fraser says:

Got the full 1250 points with the code above and we ‘click and collect’ every week. Cheers for the heads up :)

12. Just ordered online for the first time (Except for the last wine promotion) and claimed the 1250 points. Perfect!

Could I order another delivery by the 25th and get the 500 that you mentioned??

Or am I being greedy?

13. Slightly of point …. When and if Tesco run their bonus transfer for Avios, how are you notified? Is it with your vouchers in the post, email, BAEC or Avios direct ?
    Thanks

14. Peter Taysum says:

The 500 points worked for me, but I put the order on hold. Just tried to complete the order, and the code disappeared.

Went to discuss online. They are very sorry, and they have had a lot of queries about this tonight. For first 10 000 customers. Apparently.

I advised I was cancelling the order. They again are very sorry.

Win some, lose some.

15. Colin Price says:

1250 code just worked for me and I shop online quite regularly. Thanks again for producing a great site!

16. Now saying both have been used max number of times, neither code will go through :-( ah well should’ve been quicker!

17. Yeah, tried the 500 after getting the 1250 and the 500 now not working. Bummer!

18. Just did my first order and it now say the EXPIRY is 31/05/2015 when I used the code XXFHML for 1259 CC points for first £60 grocery shop.

• James W says:

Ordered last night and 1250 code wired and also showed export of May

• James W says:

Sorry post should have said
        Ordered last night and 1250 code worked and also showed expiry of May