Now save up to £400 on BA flights with ‘Part Pay With Avios’

Back in October 2013, British Airways introduced ‘Part Pay With Avios’. This was a new scheme which allowed you to reduce the cost of a cash ticket by redeeming Avios points. This had been rumoured for some time.

When it finally launched, it was a major disappointment. It was initially restricted to short haul flights only. The maximum discount was also capped at £30 (4,500 Avios) which was later increased to £50.

Given that you are receiving a pretty poor exchange rate for your points, it was a bit pathetic. Why can’t I redeem my Avios to cover the entire cost of a ticket? I would understand why not if BA was giving me a fantastic deal but 0.67p per point was never going to excite anyone.

Part Pay With Avios

Slowly but surely, BA is extending the scheme.  Until April 29th, you can now redeem your points for a cash discount on a long-haul ticket. Here are the rules:

You must book a long-haul flight before April 29th

You must travel by April 1st 2016

Your flight must depart from Heathrow or City, not Gatwick

If you book into World Traveller or World Traveller Plus, you can choose between:

£10 off for 1,500 Avios

£30 off for 4,500 Avios

£50 off for 7,500 Avios

£100 off for 15,000 Avios

For bookings in Club World or First, you can choose between:

£30 off for 4,500 Avios

£50 off for 7,500 Avios

£100 off for 15,000 Avios

£200 off for 30,000 Avios

£300 off for 45,000 Avios

£400 off for 60,000 Avios

The redemption rate is still the relatively weak 0.67p per point but you can at least now redeem for a more interesting sum.  Whilst this offer has run before, it has never offered a discount as high as £400 per person.  BA is also experimenting with a lower ‘entry level’ discount in Club World of £30.

The ‘Part Pay With Avios’ website is here.  Full details of this promotion can be found there.

Amex Gold relaunched today - some good news, mainly bad news
What is the best hotel scheme? - IHG Rewards Club - The Opinion

Comments

1. Are you aware of any upcoming promotions to buy Avios?

2. Oooooo a 9am embargoe – hopefully something juicy

3. What's the Point says:

Its got to be the elusive Tesco Clubcard conversion bonus!

• Or a UK amex conversion bonus, been a big 50% one in the US recently, but not for us, sadly. Here’s hoping!

• James67 says:

Or perhaps return of 20k or more on SPG card, a month after I succumbed for 10k. Raffles did say he was meeting SPG. However, my guess is some watered down changes in BA devaluation.

4. Oh Monsieur Raffles, with these embargoes you are really teasing us…

5. James67 says:

While I appreciate you highlight the poor value this offers tbh I think it is hardly worthy of a post on HFPs other than to warn people off it. It can best be described as a rip off, a con or something of that ilk in my opinion. There is so much criticism could be levelled against it but I’ll settle for just one: those falling for it will likely end up in tears a few days or weeks later when BA launches its next premium seat sale or similar.

• Worzel says:

Tap into the BA Homepage and you see:

‘Save up to £400 pp on longhaul flights
      with Avios part payment’.

Below the banner there’s an example shown as to how one might save £400 on a 1st Class SIN rtn costing £4496, by trading 60,000 avios.

WHO (if they can afford the fare), is going to view burning 60,000 avios for £400 worthwhile??

6. oyster says:

Now I’d be much more interested if part pay with Avios could be used against award ticket surcharges.
    As someone who’s Avios not cash rich I’d be willing to sacrifice Avios at 0.5p each for that.

7. Charlie says:

Probably another Kaligo promotion!

8. Don’t you earn full avios when part paying? If so you can’t simply value it at 0.67p same as reward redemptions as the latter generates no avios returns.

• Lady London says:

This is a very good point. Kai is right. At the extreme would be interesting if this benefit remained even paying 99% with Avios… I’m dreaming.

This is also a godsend for those who have found a machine to print Avios. I gather there are a few people about who might have found things like this.

Or, if you have someone else to pay for whatever gets you Avios then it’s all free. So some people might be quite happy with 0.67 even if they could do better.

• James67 says:

Still insufficient to make this a good deal. The main attraction was that it provided a vehicle for the avios-superich to get some value out of avios even when a redemption seat was unavailable. However, with the guaranteed seats per flight post devaluation this benefit, in theory at least, will be less valuable. For me the main problem is that barring a great BA seat sale I would expect to find a longhaul premium fare on an alternate carrier with better products and services than BA to just about anyplace for at least £400 less than BA. So, provided I din’t mind a connection and that I may have to settle for a reward currency other than avios, it is still a better deal imo than throwing away 60000 avios on a part pay with avios BA flight

• AndyGWP says:

Part-pay has proved to be useful for us.

We had to have a paid BA flight (well, 4 to be precise) to maintain silver, so it was a good way of getting a discount, for something that will help us maintain silver (and therefore, earn extra avios etc etc).

There may have been better ways of doing this, but this worked for us :)

• James67 says:

Don’t forget they are about to crop your bonus and withdraw yourlounge access.

• AndyGWP says:

Unfortunately, I’d committed to the flights prior to the changes being announced (being a northerner, I probably wouldn’t have bothered retaining status otherwise!)

I was aware of the bonus being cut – I think the withdrawal of lounge access had passed me by though!? – are you sure?

• Nothing been announced on that front, I hope it’s not a prediction that turns out to be true!

• AndyGWP says:

Thanks for the clarification Alan :)

9. Due to the current ongoing debacle with my BAEC account, I’ll be avoiding BA other than for European RFS from now on. The change from Airmiles to Avios and the new devaluation are enough to push me away for any flights I can get with other airlines. All my Tesco and MR points will go to Virgin. I’ve got enough Avios to last for a while on European flights.

10. Georgie says:

Another big disadvantage of part pay with AVIOS is that you can’t cancel up to -24 hours, as you can with an award flight, if your plans change at the last minute.

• Was not aware of that, just hope other people take note. That’s a big advantage of avios. Big advantage for BA too, they get to keep the dosh….. And the insurance claim takes over. Avios def the better option if you have them to buy the ticket with.

• Although it is fairly logical given you’re only using the Avios as a method of part-payment. If it was a straight Avios redemption booking then you wouldn’t have access to the same availability as is applicable here (where it’s just the standard cash fare buckets, therefore nowhere near as restrictive)

• Agree, but most savvy avios collectors might wait until the club sales appear. We basically only use ours for F long haul, and the very odd RFS last minute flights to Dub.

• Oh, totally agree – just trying to highlight the different uses of Avios come from different fare buckets and therefore BA’s approach is consistent albeit potentially confusing for those new to the fun of miles earning/burning! 😀

Trackbacks

1. […] a link to the relevant article published by Raffles at 'Head for Points' today: http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/04…art-pay-avios/ […]