Bits: 8000 Avios for Economist sub back, full points for my £27 lastminute.com stay!

Some more news in brief:

Iberia brings back its Economist promotion

Head for Points readers had a lot of fun before Christmas when Iberia offered 12,000 Avios points with a subscription to ‘The Economist’.

‘The Economist’ historically let you cancel your subscription at any time for a full refund.  Many people signed up for a year, took the 12,000 Avios and then cancelled for a pro-rata refund.

The offer is now back in a weaker form and with no cancellations allowed.  However, if you’d been thinking of subscribing to ‘The Economist’ (£155 for a year), getting 8,000 Avios points as an extra incentive is not a bad deal.

Full details are here.  The offer ends on May 31st. The points will be credit to an Iberia Plus account from where you can transfer them to ba.com or avios.com.

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge

Full points for my £27 Park Plaza stay via lastminute.com!

A couple of weeks ago, lastminute.com had a special promotion via their ‘Top Secret Hotels’ page offering London hotel rooms for £29.99.  There was even a 10% discount code which brought them down to £26.99!  I wrote about the deal here.

I booked myself a room at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge – I had wanted to check it out for a while and it was two days of cheap office space!  A review of the hotel will appear in a few days.

I was VERY surprised to see 2,493 Club Carlson points appear last night!  If you book a hotel via a third party such as Expedia, you should not expect to receive any points – that is the rule.  And yet – because of the current Club Carlson triple points promo and my Club Carlson Gold status – I received roughly £12.50-worth of points for my £27 room!

I heard recently about someone who got points for a Radisson Edwardian booked via HotelTonight.  I don’t know if this is an IT issue or policy – probably the former – but if you booked one of these lastminute.com rooms at a Park Plaza you should definitely join Club Carlson and register for triple points.   Even if you never intend to stay at a Carlson hotel again, 2,000 points would be enough for 200 airline miles, including Avios.

(Want to earn more hotel points?  To see our complete list of promotions from the major chains, click here to visit our ‘Hotel Promos’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

10,000 Avios points or €200 for 3 x 2-night Accor stays however cheap!
1,000 free American Airlines miles for watching a video

Comments

1. Idrive says:

I missed the deal at last minute please let us know if more come in the future

2. Don’t forget with the Economist offer that you can get a much cheaper price if you change countries to US or Canada etc

I’m an Australian and just used an appropriate US address.

Dale.

• I registered my economist subscription with the address of the Fairmont in Banff and addressed it to Guest Services. I guess they appreciate the extra copy for their guests.

Of course, you still get digital access via the website and app, as well as access to their bitesized “Espresso” edition.

3. Nick M says:

We have a night booked for the end of the month, so looking forward to your review!

Are there any current sign up bonuses for CC? As the room is already booked, do I just show the card at check in?

• Raffles says:

Don’t think so. Card unlikely to be sent until you have done a stay so just write down the number and hand over.

• Tariq says:

Looking forward to the review too – starting to plan for a family weekend in London in the Autumn so this was one of my prospective choices.

Club Carlson seem very keen on matching status too – I used to be gold from the AMEX Platinum card a few years ago, but soft landed through to red. Following StatusMatcher emailed them a screenshot of my IHG Platinum status (earned from the Visa card) and had an email 15 minutes later advising me that they would upgrade me to gold!

4. It is 6000 points for digital only at £120. Approx £60 (Can$120) if you register to Canadian address though. Very good deal if you actually want a subscription to the economist.

5. Paul C says:

Just checked and as a data point can confirm the same thing happened with our stay at the same hotel on the same LM deal. We had a snack and drink in the bar (with the 15% discount for Club Carlson gold card members) which would have earned anyway, but with the room points and promo bonus the total was 4,190 points.

Room points – 744
    Food and beverage points – 507
    Triple points bonus – 2,500
    Room points gold bonus – 261
    Food and beverage gold bonus – 178

6. Phillip says:

I was impressed to score miles at the Holiday Inn Express T5 having booked through PointsHound (who at the time had a promotion giving 2000 Etihad Guest Miles for booking one night). Plus the double miles promotion from IHG (2 x 500), 3000 Etihad Miles for a £60 odd booking I thought was really good!

7. I remember achica says:

I see the free £10 glitch is back on @ Achica. Got a few very interesting mustard pots last time.

Code Welcome2014 for new members gets you a free £10 credit and free delivery.

Site is busy so keeps crashing, but persevere & you should get through.

8. Fenny says:

I just cancelled my Canadian subscription to the Economist! If I want another bonus, I’d better give them a different address.

9. Doodles says:

OT question: I am going to Malaysia and Singapore this summer and will have approximately 3 months left on my passport when I leave. All the information I can find online says 6 months validity required but is likely to cause me any problems?

• Probably… I would not take the chance.

• Clive says:

Personally I would not risk it as if you get the wrong immigration official you could be on the next flight home.

• Polly says:

Get a new passport. My daughters friend was kept in holding cells overnight, and returned home on the next day flight! He had 2 mths left after their return flight. Unreal experience. Nobody knows why this rule exists, but we have to live with it. Think Bangkok Hilton! Not fed or anything. She had to bring him food etc. you really are treated like a criminal in any of these countries, sorry !

• The rule is nothing wrong. I know UK residents can travel to most countries without a visa, but when you do it normally requires your passport to have 3/6 month validity when you leave. It’s rather a common practice.

• Globetrotter7 says:

Malaysia requires your passport to be valid for 6 months from the date of arrival. So as long as you go in with 6 months validity on your passport then it’s fine.

• Fenny says:

Renew it now! If you get in quick, you should beat the summer rush. They will add the unexpired time on to the new term.

• Lady London says:

IME Peterborough passport office has always processed my passports pretty promptly.

• Just to add, although you should be ok exiting a country (i.e. you will get out of the UK ok), when you enter the next country e.g. Malaysia this is when you could come unstuck.

Unlike when you enter most EU countries I can assure you that when you enter Malaysia they will have a good look at your passport – especially if you have any stamps in it. I was once queried on my passport as the officer couldn’t find the corresponding exit stamp for the entry stamp for my last Malaysia visit and wanted to know if I had 2 passports or an ID card. When I offered to show them the page with the correct exit stamp on it they handed the passport back to me without even checking!

10. MattChaps says:

Re the Econ Sub, it says EU customers can cancel within first 14 days.
    Any idea how long the points take to get posted?

• Lady London says:

This will be due to the EU legislation on goods bought online – I think we get up to 14 days to cancel. They post pretty promptly. I got the subscription, and kept it.

• Raffles says:

I get a feeling they may now be delaying the Avios until day 15!

• The_Real_A says:

Mine took about 3 months to post…

• I cancelled last time within 14 days and then they posted points weeks later. You could try your luck? Nothing to lose!

• Mark T says:

Thanks for the heads up! My economist subscription expired yesterday (May 2nd)! Renewed today for roughly the same price as last year but with 6000 avios points, bonus! Getting an Iberia account really does pay.

11. Andrew says:

Can anyone advise on how you go about cancelling this within the 14 days (EU) ??

Will they actually refund you?

Thanks

• Legally they have to refund you. Some people have had to push for a refund but I don’t know anyone who ever failed in the end.

12. I stayed at the Park Plaza Riverbank just up the road last week, also paying £27. I ended up with more points than I expected…

500 Avios via BA Executive Club

12,586 points from Club Carlson:
    744 Room Points
    452 Food and Beverage Points (a mojito, a beer and a cola)
    2,390 Triple Points Bonus 2015
    9,000 New Stay 9,000 Bonus Points Offer (despite having stayed at Carlson hotels plenty of times)

I’m quite happy with that haul :-)

13. Iberia / Economist offer 12,000 Avios for £155 still available until June 30th 2015 anyway. Link still same and may find here: https://subscriptions.economist.com/GLB/partners/IberiaPlus/trpl/index.php

• Someone else sent me this link. I am wary of it because I have no idea where it came from. The Iberia website only mentions the 8,000 points offer. Is this link targeted? Is it an offer not yet live? Is it a dummy page which was never used? I don’t know.

14. Bruceylegs says:

I just followed the subscription link within Raffles’ early post dated 17 Jan 2015 (http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/01/17/the-economist-back-pedals-on-the-12000-avios-promotion/)

Do my eyes deceive me – the offer via this route is 12,000 avios and says the offer is valid until 30 June 2015!

• It does say that but, as I said yesterday, I have no idea where this link came from. The official deal on the Iberia website is 8,000 Avios and that is the link I posted. This offer may be dead, targeted or a mistake. Given the general unhelpfulness of customer services at Iberia and The Economist – at least when trying to get them to cough up your miles – I was not happy pushing this.

15. How did you add your Club Carlson no. to a lastminute.com reservation? I called Park Plaza reservations and they said they could not do it.

• I put it in the ‘notes’ section when I booked and the hotel had added it for me when I arrived (and upgraded me). If you didn’t do this then you could try emailing reservations the day before you arrive – hopefully they will add it for you.

16. The Economist customer service are awful. I recommend not trusting them at all.

• Interesting – no such issues with their Asia-Pacific or Canadian email service centres for me when I cancelled my subscriptions.

Trackbacks

1. […] Regular readers will already know that I checked in to the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge hotel last week on the £27 promotion run by lastminute.com’s ‘Top Secret Hotels’ page. Amazingly, despite it being a third-party booking, I received Club Carlson points for the stay. […]