Travelex replacing Moneycorp at Heathrow – what happens to the BA partnership?

During June, Travelex is taking over the Moneycorp foreign exchange desks at Heathrow.

There seems to be a continual merry-go-round here, because it wasn’t too long ago that Moneycorp replaced American Express Currency Exchange.

What is not clear at the moment is what happens to the British Airways Executive Club partnership with Moneycorp.

The BA partnership has been a bit of a joke ever since American Express Currency Exchange pulled out.  BA had an exclusive deal with Amex for earning Avios on foreign currency.  When Amex lost their desks at Heathrow, they remained as BA’s exclusive partner for pre-ordering currency.

This was a bit tricky, of course, since you couldn’t actually collect it at the airport!  The only way to earn Avios on pre-ordered currency was to use American Express Currency Exchange online and have it delivered to your home or office.

(There is one upside to this.  If you pre-order currency online from Amex via this site – to earn Avios – or this site, which doesn’t earn Avios but has better exchange rates, it is charged as a purchase to your Amex card.  This means that you earn points on the transaction and that it counts as qualifying spend towards any sign-up bonus or BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher.)

BA agreed a deal with Moneycorp to award Avios for ‘walk-up’ transactions at Heathrow.  If you pre-ordered at substantially better rates, you were not meant to earn Avios – although Moneycorp would occasionally award them accidentally.  You need to be a little short in the brain department to buy foreign currency at Heathrow without pre-ordering it, however, given the spread of around 20%.

There is no sign at the moment of a new Travelex deal being agreed with British Airways.  This may mean, as of the end of June, there is no way of collecting Avios on currency purchases at Heathrow.

Hilton offering one million Hilton HHonors points to one lucky UK resident!
New IHG PointBreaks list of 150 x 5,000 point hotels below, book on Tuesday

1. Before Moneycorp, and before Amex, Travelex were the BAEC partner. I remember using them in T4 and T3 pre-T5.

They also used to be a place to drop off BA/UNICEF Change for Good envelopes too…

I’m sure there’s some behind the scenes process they’ll dig out and dust off again!

2. Jileen says:

How does this work? I have a Moneycorp card which I usually top up at a Moneycorp counter of whichever airport I’m departing from with my BA Amex card. Based on the advertised promos it suggests a better rate if you pre-order online. However, if my Moneycorp card and Amex is linked do I still need to “pick up”from the airport / have it delivered to home?

• callum says:

You don’t need to do it at a counter, you can do it online.

Though you do realise their fees are generally more expensive than your Amex card for purchase transactions?

3. Stuart says:

Only slightly OT but has anyone received their Supercard yet?

• Guesswho2000 says:

There’s a thread on MSE about this, someone had received theirs but the majority haven’t as yet. I haven’t had mine yet.

• Yes, although it didn’t work. Turns out they’d sent me more than one and cancelled the duplicates, so still waiting for the one that hasn’t been cancelled to turn up!

4. I got one yesterday. Loaded it into the app, but trying to switch which credit card it links to crashes the app…

5. dgsupersonic says:

I received mine yesterday. Activated fine on app and CC linked too but didn’t have the chance to use it yet.

6. gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

Won’t you still earn Avios if you hand over your Heathrow rewards number and convert?

7. Are you 100% sure about foreign currency from the Amex website being classed as a purchase rather than cash?

I sent Amex a secure message a month or so ago, and they said i’d need to “activate cash withdrawal” on my Amex Gold, in order to withdraw cash – and then i got the impression interest would be charged?

“I would like you to know that you can certainly purchase foreign currency using your American Express Preferred Rewards Gold Charge Card. However, before you make an attempt to purchase currency you need to enrol your account into Cash Advance facility.

You can opt for Cash Advance facility by visiting the following link, download and submit the completed application form for Cash Access:” .

• I ordered £600 of US $ on my BA Amex recently and it went through as a purchase and not a cash advance as per Rob’s advice – didn’t have to activate anything. The avios appeared on my Amex account after 2/3 days. I got 600 avios plus 600 for the amex spend!

• I seem to remember from previous HFP posts that this works for Amex issued cards only. Can anyone confirm?

• I’ve never tried it on a non-Amex issued card myself but that it definitely what I’ve seen reported on here before by Rob – it’s an Amex-issued only thing.

• In my experience (ie what I have been told by people who experimented with MBNA Amex cards), yes.

• This is a long standing issue, Dan – Rob is correct and the agents are wrong :)

8. Londonbus says:

Or enjoy Supercard, Halifax Clarity and your Santander Zero – and with the money you save pay cashl for a revenue J ticket with Finnair or QR for your next Asian trip.

9. Gav Bland says:

Travelex are issuing avois on walk up transactions again
    I presented my air France card yesterday and the guy told me they have just started with avois again. Sure enough they gave me the receipt with number of avois earned spending £159 with buy back I received 159 avois the company pays hence the reason for walk up transaction!!