‘Combine My Avios’ from Iberia Plus may be fixed!

I receive an email yesterday from a reader who had suddenly found that he was again able to make ‘Combine My Avios’ transactions out of Iberia Plususing the Iberia website – to avios.com or British Airways Executive Club.

I tried this myself as I had 1,000 Avios ‘stuck’ in Iberia Plus from the recent Hailo promotion which I simply could not move, whichever route I tried.  (If the Iberia website is not behaving, the most successful fallback is usually to use the avios.com website to initiate a ‘Combine My Avios’ transfer, but even that had been failing for me.)

Amazingly, it worked:

Iberia CMA

If you have any Avios points sitting in Iberia Plus which you have been struggling to get out, you should try again.

As a reminder, this is how you do it:

Go to iberia.com and log-in by hovering over the ‘Iberia Plus’ box in the top right of the screen

Hover over ‘Iberia Plus’ again in the top-right corner and select ‘My Avios’ under the ‘My Profile’ menu

From the ‘My Avios’ page, click on ‘Buying or transferring Avios’

At the bottom of that page, headed ‘Buy, give away or transfer Avios’, you will see the line “Don’t forget you can combine your Avios with those of other customer loyalty programmes”.  Click this text.

(Important:  if your Iberia account has not been open for 90 days and has not earned at least 1 Avios point, you will NOT see this line of text because you are not yet able to transfer Avios.  Instead, you will see this:

rsz_iberia_plus_avios_transfer

There is a blank space under the ‘Transfer’ box where the ‘combine’ link should be.)

You will now be on the ‘Combine My Avios’ page.  Follow the instructions to send your points to avios.com or British Airways Executive Club.

PS.  If you missed out on earning 1,000 free Avios from the recent Hailo offer, you have not completely missed out.  The company is still offering 400 Avios.  This offer is ONLY available to Android phone users if you are not currently in Spain.  Details of how to get your 400 free Avios points are here.

£5 cashback on £10 Post Office spend with BA, SPG etc Amex cards
When a British Airways ex-Europe trip goes to plan ....

Comments

1. Just to add to the joy, I had to try this 3 times to get it to work. The first time it wouldn’t let me transfer to ba.com, so I remembered the household rule whereby it doesn’t work, so changed it to to avios.com, but received “You can only move Avios from Avios to Iberia Plus – you cannot move your Avios back again.”. I have no idea why, but it then decided to start working again and allowed them to be transferred to avios.com.

2. Yup, it’s workling. I just transferred 50 Avios I had left sitting in my Iberia Plus account to my BAEC account.

3. Thanks; it worked first time for me. I have tried many, many times to do this from the Avios end with no success.
    Is this facility on Iberia Plus new or just well hidden?

4. You can also initiate the transfer from BA.com or Avios.com – I just did the latter and transferred 1k from IB to Avios.com without an issue :)

5. David Butcher says:

When I saw the headline “Combine my Avios from Iberia Plus may be fixed” I wondered whether the scheme is now being administered by FIFA.

6. Wont work for me – just give me the option to combine from Exec Club rather than to!!
    Not sure what I am doing wrong…….

• Thomas says:

Have the same problem, can only move from BAEC to Iberia – think this may be related to house hold account. Have the same issue with AVIOS, so have a lump of points in both AVIOS and Iberia, but cant move them to BAEC…..

7. Pat Butcher says:

Did the hailo 1k from baec last week no probs.

8. Speaking of Iberia IT issues. We have Iberia flights booked for myself and my wife. Yesrteday I was been unable to add her Iberia account number. The website informs me that the name on the account doesnt match the reservation. This morning it accepts the number that I enter and reports that I have successfully updated the reservation. Then when I review the reservation it still says I can add the frequent flyer number !

9. Roger Wilco says:

My account was “freezed” for a long time, the promised “unfreeze” email never came. Still I went to the IB site, the forgot my password link took me to a page where the email should’ve taken me, gave my new password and after that I could combine my Avios via the Avios.com site.

• Thats the route I took a few weeks ago to unlock a few accounts.

• gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

That provided half of my solution. The password reset allowed me to look into my account, but CMA still didn’t work. AVIOS.COM people said the issue was at the Iberia Plus end. I wrote to them and got a response back saying that parts of my account needed to be re-activated, but they required Photo ID plus a form to be filled in.
      I did this a couple of weeks ago and hadn’t heard back, so I started to try the account on a daily basis. It started working yesterday!
      Funny how Raffles came up with this story today, I was about to share with him my story/solution!

10. Anyone have a fix for moving from Iberia to BAEC? My handful of points in Iberia are just stuck there now…

11. Lee Thornton says:

Off topic, but has anyone else heard about US pre-clearance coming to Heathrow and Manchester?

• It will take YEARS and, at Heathrow, is potentially physically impossible in most terminals.

You should also be careful what you wish for. At JFK, in a premium cabin, you are first off and if no other plane has just landed you are often quickly at a desk. At Heathrow, as US immigration does not seem to allow priority lines, you may be stuck behind 300 people waiting to board the same plane as you.

12. Ian Greet says:

I have just tried to do a transfer Iberia to BAEC and it says that I can only do BAEC to Iberia.

• This is a weird problem which impacts a few people and I honestly don’t understand it. There is no scenario under which the rules say you can only transfer in one direction UNLESS a household account is involved. Even then, it should only impact avios.com household accounts.

• See my first comment in this article. I tried again and it just randomly worked.

• I still cannot get this to work. It always (no matter how many times I try) wants to go from Avios/BA EC to Iberia. :(

13. Trevor says:

Tried unsuccessfully towards the end of last week – what a shame I wasted my time then. At least working now and transfer done successfully. Thanks for letting us know, very helpful.

14. Graeme says:

Woo hoo! Worked for me finally!

15. Worked for me! Thanks!

16. Gabbai says:

I have the same problem as others – Iberia only want Avios from BA or Avios, it will not transfer out.

• Assuming you’ve met the 90 day + activity rule, have you tried ‘pulling’ the IB Avios to either BAEC or Avios.com rather than ‘pushing’ them from IB?

17. I have also had the same problem as others – Iberia only want Avios from BA or Avios, it will not transfer out.

• Much to my surprise I successfully did a transfer out to Avios about 10 minutes ago!

• Have you tried initiating the transfer from within your Avios.com account instead?

18. I couldn’t get the points from IB to BAEC directly (would only work BAEC to IB) so I transferred from IB to Avios.com then down to BAEC – that seemed to work!

For anyone with a BAEC family account this seems to be the workaround.

19. Roberto says:

Still “broken” for me..

Like others it will only allow combining into the IB account and having to move miles via avios.com is my only option to get my 1000 Hailo miles over to BAEC..