Amex Gold offer: £50 off a £100 booking with Amex Travel

American Express has launched a generous new offer for holders of the American Express Preferred Rewards Gold card.

Until June 30th, you will receive £50 statement credit when you spend £100 or more at Amex Travel.

Amex 50 credit

The £100 needs to be on a pre-paid product so a flexible hotel booking would not count.  You are fine to book a pre-paid flight, car hire, experience or hotel.

The offer is limited to the first 5,000 people to register.  You can only register Gold cards.  Supplementary cards cannot be registered.  The registration page is here.

The rules actually say “An “Eligible Card” is a valid American Express card issued in the UK by American Express Services Europe Limited, Lloyds Bank PLC, Barclays PLC, TSB Bank plc or MBNA Europe Bank Limited” but that is simply a cut and paste error from an old offer …..

I strongly recommend registering via this link if you hold an Amex Gold.  Even if you don’t have anything in mind now, your plans can change over the next 29 days and it would be a shame to miss out on a £50 saving.

(Want to earn more miles and points from credit cards?  Click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Kaligo.com launches new Virgin partnership with a strong offer
Small Starwood promotion launched which is not very exciting at all

Comments

1. Philip says:

Got the ‘by invitation only’ brush off. But it was worth a try. I could have easily used the offer.

2. Nick Haley says:

I had Gold, but now Plat. Been thinking about going back and this is tempting… !
    Definitely miss the triple points on travel as opposed to no bonus with Plat.

Having said this, Platinum has already earned its weight when I had to make a car hire claim for £520, more than the £450 annual fee!

3. Matthieu says:

Do you get your £50 credit if you buy currency via the Amex Travel Money service online (£150 minimum)?

4. I successfully enrolled – can I book a flight for a friend on my Amex card via Amex travel and get the 50 pounds back, or does the flight have to be in my name as the cardholder?

5. Not happy :(

Spent £190 on flights after registering for the offer. I have been billed in two halfs, I.e per passenger!

Phoned them up and just as I thought, this means I spent less than a £100 in their eyes and didn’t qualify for the £50 credit!

Anyone had any luck?

• I’d submit a secure message to Amex – never seen them refuse a credit in this situation before, may have just been a bad phone agent. You clearly purchased the required sum in good faith, you couldn’t know they’d split the payments.

• The mole says:

Toby,

Who did you speak to and when did you call?

• That’s tough luck. I think they do this so that they can (‘justifiably’)charge 2 x transaction fees. It is normal when you book 2 flights (ie 2 PAX) on BA, for example.

Customer Services should give you your £50 if you phone up.

• I phoned up this morning and the agent I spoke to didn’t seem to understand what I was talking about, she asked me why I split it into two transactions… . I explained I didn’t (the full amount is still in the pending tab) and we were just getting nowhere. Will try and phone again at noon. If that fails I’ll try the secure message option!

I’ve never noticed transactions split up like this before though. I’m probably not the only one who will be affected by this!

• Yes, definitely sounds like a poorly informed agent – am sure you’ll have more luck on repeat call/message. Only seems to happen for flight bookings but has annoyingly worked this way for a while.

• The mole says:

Call 0870 850 0380 and speak with the online helpdesk – They will arrange for the £50 to be credited. Should be 5 working days

• Phone back. You will get the credit. If you don’t, a quick written complaint will ensure you get the credit.

6. Just registered to the offer and got the enrollment thank you page but didn’t get any email. How can i get to know if it successfully registered?

thanks.
    Jay

7. Robert says:

Did I understand correctly (reading the T&c of this offer) that hotel booking must be a 2 night minimum for this offer?

8. Robert says:

Thanks Rob

9. John Gallagher says:

I registered for this offer on the day of this article. However, I can’t see this offer ‘as saved to my card’ when I check on the Amex website under ‘My Offers’ – should i be able to see this?
    FYI – I just tried registering again but it says’ You are already registered for this offer’

Thanks

• John Gallagher says:

UPDATE – made booking and got an email confirming my £50 credit :)

10. Looks as if you can’t book BA flights through Amex Travel 355 days ahead. Only showing dates up to 5 May 2016 on my European route.

But BA/ Avios let you book up to 27 May 2016.

Any ideas?

• Answered it myself! Their site only runs 331 days ahead (so the chappy said) though I made it 333.