Bits: New Amex cashback deals, Expedia and hotels.com flash sales, more miles at Bicester Village

Some news in brief:

New American Express cashback deals

A new batch of statement credit deals may have hit your BA Amex, SPG Amex, Amex Gold or Amex Platinum online account over the weekend.

These include:

£10 back on £70 spend at World Duty Free (old offer, extended to 9th August)

£10 back on £50 spend at House of Fraser (old offer, extended to 9th August)

£25 back on £85 spend at achica.com

£10 back on £70 spent at Argos (think ‘gift cards’!)

None of these deals have yet appeared at the cardmemberoffers.co.uk website so, until they do, you can only register if they appear on your online statement.  Thanks to Trevor.

House of Fraser

Expedia and hotels.com flash sales

Both Expedia and hotels.com are due to be launching 72-hour flash sales this morning.  (Both are owned by the same company, so this is not a coincidence!)

At the time of writing the deals are not live so I am not sure what will be on offer, but if you are looking to book a hotel in the next couple of days it may be worth a look.  Both sales are valid for bookings completed by 26th July.

The Expedia sale should be here, the hotels.com sale should be here.

Bicester Village

Up to 400% bonus Lufthansa miles at Bicester Village

Designer shopping centre Bicester Village is offering quadruple Miles & More miles when you spend over £450 in one day.  This means 4 miles per £1 spent.  There are smaller bonuses for smaller levels of spending.

This offer runs from tomorrow until 15th July.  Full details can be found here.  Similar offers are running for Singapore Airlines, Jet and Malaysia Airlines as you can see here.

Bicester Village is also an Avios partner although they do not seem to be participating in this promotion.  That said, I would keep an eye out in case something launches in the next few days.

Using your Avios points to fly to Chile with LAN
Reminder: British Airways First, Club World and Club Europe sale ends tonight

Comments

1. Waribai says:

You can also register for these offers via Amex connect if you have non-amex issued cards. i.e. MBNA

• Anyone any idea why these offers don’t show on Gold cards that were just taken out?

• Peter K says:

It’s because your card needs to be around for a while before they throw offers at you. I think until your first month’s payment has been made.

2. I don’t think the HOF is just the old offer extended. It says once per card and although I have already used it earlier in the month I was allowed to add it to my card(s)
    When you redeem an offer it says so next to where you loaded it in your account, this says added to card.

• Yeah I noticed that in the offers vs expired offers yesterday. The new one says once per card which the last one didn’t – wonder if it was an oversight in the previous offer.

3. Andrew says:

Raffles – it’s worth mentioning the new Amex connect site in your post about these offers. This site is only for non-Amex issued cards. Annoyingly, those of us with Amex issued cards have to wait for them to appear on cardmemberoffers. https://network.americanexpress.com/connect/uk/en/default.html

4. Moonman says:

I booked some hotels on hotels.com yesterday and kicked myself thinking I missed the sale. Then I checked and in the sale the rooms are actually £3 more expensive than those I booked yeatersay

• Has a hotels.com sale ever really been a sale? They seem to have a sale every week and the prices rarely change.

5. Some of the BA business flights in Europe look q competitive in the sale http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/offers/sale/business-class-flights-on-sale

Can’t really see much point in paying the extra for under 4 hours flying time – but horses for courses & maybe somebody else is paying :)

6. Duncan Stevenson says:

Just redeemed at Argos. They’re doing 2 x £15 iTunes vouchers for £25. Extra sweet deal!

7. Steveo_UK says:

Does anyone know if the World Duty Free offer works if you buy vouchers in advance from their website?

8. Peter K says:

OT. I’ve just done the new transfer to avios.com from Tesco competition (thanks for the referral Rob) but at no point did it ask me for my avios.com number. Does that mean they’ll open a new account up for me and I’ll have to contact them to combine them (rolls eyes).

9. Does anyone know if you can use argos gift cards to purchase other gift cards?

Just trying to maximize the offer.

• It is very unlikely, but Argos do sell a variety of gift cards which seem to vary between branches. Today I bought £80 of Boots vouchers on each of two Amex cards and intend to do the same on 6 other cards to pat ay Boots Opticians. This gives 12.5% cash back.

• You would have to buy something real, return it as unwanted/ unsuitable for a refund or credit note, then buy the second giftcard. Not my style but I guess if you have the time & inclination…

• When I recently returned something that I had bought with a gift card (because I genuinely did not want it after all), unsurprisingly they refunded the price as a gift card.

10. OT bit: Purple Parking code E325W really is giving decent rate on Heathrow parking (I bet it will work everywhere). It beats code RAC which is normally the best around.

£73 for 15 days incl chauffeur return to terminal, not too shabby.

• Nick M says:

Grrr… booked a stay & fly yday as differential was minimal!

• We usually have oodles of time when we depart (so long stay is OK) but really appreciate the chauffeur return of our car to the terminal on the way back. It means you can hit the M4 literally 10 mins after clearing customs.

The stay & flys/ sleep park flys are meant to be good for shorter breaks so must look into that, but this one is 2 weeks abroad so I assumed it might be a bit pricey.

Roughly what did you pay & how many days did they include with the room?

11. I was in Argos to get the £10 credit (£70 spend). The Visa card didn’t activate so I got a full refund.

Looks like I will still get the £10 :) judging by the e-mail