Bits: BA Abu Dhabi and Kuala Lumpur go 787, £30 off Air New Zealand to LA, my night with Daniel Boulud

News in brief:

More British Airways routes go 787 – check your bookings

I got a notification yesterday via the My Flights app that my British Airways booking to Abu Dhabi next Easter had changed.  When I took a look, the flight had moved to a new Boeing 787-900.

It seems that Kuala Lumpur flights are also moving to a 787.

If you are booked into Club World on either of these services, it is worth looking at your seating choice again.  Whilst BA usually has 2-4-2 in Club World, the 787 services are 2-3-2 as you can see below.

As we had previously booked a block of four for the family, I had to reallocate us to two pairs of seats in the front cabin.

British Airways has a dedicated website for the Boeing 787 which you can find here.

787 Club World

£30 off Air New Zealand services to Los Angeles

I spent most of yesterday at Heathrow as the guest of Air New Zealand, learning more about their product, touring their Boeing 777 and discussing a potentially very exciting Head for Points promotion.

The tour was particularly interesting.  The picture below is something you have almost certainly never seen before – the pilot rest area.  It has two seats (with an IFE screen as well, out of shot) and behind the curtains are two beds.

You will be seeing more from ANZ on Head for Points after the Summer.  In the meantime, if you are looking to visit Los Angeles, you can save £30 on any class of ticket on ANZ with code 30OFFLA.  You need to book by August 30th for flights from August 18th to March 31st.

Current LA pricing can be found here on the ANZ website.

Boeing 777 pilot rest area

My evening with Daniel Boulud via SPG Moments

If you follow our Twitter feed or our Instagram feed, you will have seen the pictures I shared of my evening with probably the most famous chef in America, Daniel Boulud.

Daniel Boulud Starwood

This was arranged by Starwood Preferred Guest, the loyalty scheme for Le Meridien, Sheraton, St Regis, Luxury Collection, Westin, W etc as part of its SPG Moments programme.  This lets you redeem your points for ‘money can’t buy’ experiences.  This one, it is fair to say, was definitely ‘money can’t buy’!  It was in a private room at his Bar Boulud restaurant in London.

Daniel Boulud Starwood

This was not a freebie from SPG – I redeemed my points for it like the other attendees.  Quick ‘Hi’ to HFP readers Andrew and Rachel who were also there.

Daniel Boulud Starwood

50 free Avios in Iberia Plus - zero effort required!
New Avios earning partnership with Tristar

Comments

1. Had this been on flyer talk you would have had to blurr your faces out.

2. Did the event with Daniel last year and it was phenomenal. Some spg moments are tremendous value

3. Stuart says:

A face to the legend

4. barnaby100 says:

We booked 2 KL flights in 1st last November. Leaving at about 11.50pm on Sunday. We noticed a few months later in manage my booking they had been changed to about 1 am on the Sunday (almost a day earlier) -but our connecting flights hadn’t. So a day in Heathrow? Phoned up and a real hassle to get them moved- had to release inventory etc

Finally they were put to 000.05 on the Monday- so about 20 minutes later than the original flights .All good?

No. On Thursday we got an email (unlike last time). They had been moved to 23.45 on the Monday- so almost a day later. Connecting flights unchanged- so they left LHR before we had even left KL

Phoned up again- this time it was easier. They are now 23.45 on the Sunday- which is about 10 minute soft where they wed when we originally booked.

• I have the exact same issue for a KUL booking next year , moved forward 23hrs and 40 mins rather than moved back 20 mins, although it does suit me to stay another day in KL I have yet to sort out with BA the onward connecting flight. Seems a schoolboy error on BA’s part.

5. ukpsychiatrist says:

I am booked in first class at end of the month to Abu Dhabi – am I likely to be affected?

6. It is not a 787-900; it is a 787-9!

7. Andrew says:

A great evening with Chef Boulud – can’t recommend SPG moments highly enough (just don’t bid against me ;-)) And nice to finally meet you Rob.

8. What a mess, I have also had my KUL-LHR flight moved +24 hours. I was flying home Sat night and now I have been moved to Sun night and my flight from LHR-MAN leaves the day before I arrive. This really is school boy error stuff from BA, worst thing is this is the 1st weekend in Jan so all the flights are F zero so I cannot move back a day.

Where do you stand with EU261 for a delay of 24 hours?

• It’s got to be a scheduling error on BA’s part, and I assume they will have to fix it internally – I imagine this will affect every flight using the 787 from when it starts (because if not then there must be a flight returning empty from KUL between the switch). Although I spotted it thanks to flight tracking apps and because of the direct effect on a connecting flight I imagine most people won’t spot the effect of this change (i.e. you will be spending another 24 hours in KL and will be getting home a day later than planned!). BA have yet to advise me of the change!

• Clearly something of an oversight on the part of the booking software designers!

It looks like all departures from the point where the clocks go back in the UK at the end of October have changed to 23:45, hence avoiding a scenario where two flights depart on the same day. That’s before the switch to the 787-9, so will not just be affecting people with a change of aircraft type but everyone with a booking from that point onwards.

As barnaby100 points out it must happen every time a flight is rescheduled across midnight. Most people probably realise if only shortly before travel, but no doubt some will not and it will result in some interesting discussions at the airport as to whose mistake it was….

• Yes, it has potential to generate so much chaos that I imagine BA will correct this in the next few days. Because of this I now have my LHR to GLA sector before my KUL – LHR sector, so if I miss the GLA sector it could cancel the KUL flight!

• EU261 doesn’t apply because of the length of notice. However that isn’t really the issue. In practice there is no delay (the flight time has been pulled forward), it’s just a design flaw in the IT system that has pushed everyone back onto the following day’s flight.

The vast majority, if not all of those booked on the previous day’s flight will also have been moved back 24 hours so if BA addresses the underlying issue and moves everyone affected onto the correct flight it should be easily solvable.

9. Is there any way to convert avios to SPG Starpoints?

10. Having already changed from a 787-8 to a 777 flights to Austin are also now changing to a 787-9 from 22nd February, at least until the end of the winter schedule (26th March). Whether that will change again who knows…..

Some Delhi flights (5x per week) are going to a 787-9 from the 25th October.

11. That Flight Deck Crew Rest area looks like the KLM one I was lucky enough to sit/sleep in when there was only jump seats available on a full 6hr flight. (I was flying on a staff rebate ticket) Very comfy – slept beautifully!

12. Great to put a face to the name. It is always did seem strange raising a champagne toast in ba first, or a ba lounge whilst on my holidays to chap I only knew by the pseudonym Raffles. Thanks as always for a great site. My leisure travel involves significantly more free champagne as result of HFP – just don’t give away too many 3v tricks in your forthcoming article…….

13. Trevor says:

My Flight home from KL in December was changed yesterday to 787 but overnight last night has been switched back to a 777!

• Some of the switch dates were delayed yesterday, less than 24 hours after having been initially loaded. Same happened to Abu Dhabi/Muscat and Austin.

Reading between the lines it seems that the availability of the First seats is constraining things somewhat as BA also announced that some of the aircraft would be fitted with extra Club World seats initially and used on the Toronto and Austin services in 3 class configuration once they start arriving in September/October.

14. OT
    can I ask a question for a friend about 241 please (well two questions for one)
    a) can it be Avios + cash or does it have to be all Avios?
    b) if going out LHR – JFK is Barbados too far from JFK for return leg?
    This sounds impractical to me but they are half my age!

15. Geoggy says:

So SPG moments is a bid rather than an outright purchase?

What happens when you bid then?

• Some are bid, some are outright purchase. This was a bid.

You bid your maximum amount and then it takes you up in steps depending on other bids, so you don’t necessarily pay your maximum.

If someone bids in the last 5 minutes of the auction, the closing time is extended by 5 minutes. This means that hotly contested ones can drag on for an hour beyond the closing time! This was wasn’t bad as there were 5 packages to buy.

16. So….will the 787-9 have a new F cabin – if so, are their any hints as to the layout in MMB?

17. For info the 787-9 goes onto KUL in December, can’t remember the exact date.

Kinda gutted not a few months sooner, as I’m off out there on 31st August in F on an AMEX 2-4-1! Ah well, can’t win them all :-)

• The first one isn’t due to be delivered to BA until September so no chance of that….

The smaller F cabin on the 787-9 will likely make it harder to get F redemption seats so it may have worked in your favour anyway.

• Just tried a dummy redemption for KUL, looking ahead to May / June next year there is great availability in CW (6 seats on some dates!) and First with 2 seats. On 7 June 2016 for LHR to KUL there are 4 seats in First available! Good for me as i have at least one flight per year to KL.

• I think KUL is underperforming (it is still a new route) which is why BA is being generous with Avios seats. Given Air Asia etc it is easy to fly to KUL and then fly on elsewhere for very little money, although it is a shame not to stay for 48 hours if you’ve never been.

• barnaby100 says:

We land in Kl at about 4 and pick up a Malaysia flight to Singapore- about £100 each return but would be less if it wasn’t Friday evening. Coming back for 3 nights at the end. Been to Kl many many times.

• Connecting on to Air Asia flights has also got much easier. KLIA2 is open, brand new terminal for the low cost carriers and linked to main terminal by the KLIA express. Previously you had to connect by bus, on what was supposed to be a very long journey.

There is a lot of competition in KUL due to the middle east carriers, EK have 3 flights per day, then there is Qatar etc., all of which has made it difficult for MAS. But, funnily enough, there is a general impression in Malaysia that BA are one of the best airlines to fly with and many will chose BA over the competition.

18. End of my AUH / MCT flights on BA then as I have to sometimes slum it in Y sometimes.

I am broad of shoulder and long to my knee.. The 787 in economy? -not for me!

19. OT (hence posting in bits!) but just been notified by AwardWallet of a 4k jump in my Nectar balance so it looks like the credit under the eBay offer has arrived :)