250 Clubcard points (600 Avios) and free Sky TV trial with a £20 NOW TV box

Tesco Direct has launched a new promotion on NOW TV boxes.

Until August 5th, you will receive 250 bonus Clubcard points when you purchase NOW TV, either in-store or online.  The link to buy online is here.

You will also receive your choice of three extra bonuses:

two months of Sky Movies for free

two day passes for Sky Sports for free

three months of selected Sky Entertainment channels for free

Now TV

A NOW TV box will allow you to stream BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5 to your TV via the box and the accompanying HDMI cable.  This is a wider range of terrestrial platforms than you get with an Amazon Fire Stick or a Google Chromecast.

However …. you cannot access Netflix or Amazon Instant Video.  The only ‘pay as you go’ options going forward are for Sky channels.  This means that it is best suited for someone who simply wants to see ‘catch up’ terrestrial channels or who would like Sky but cannot because their property is not able to support a dish or cable.

If this sounds like it may be for you, the bribe of 600 Avios points plus the free Sky trial means that you don’t have much at risk from your £20 investment!  You can find more details here.

New EU-wide rules promise more clarity on car rental pricing
Bonus Avios with Langham, Mandarin Oriental, Fairmont, Radisson Edwardian, Shangri-La and more

Comments

1. James67 says:

I got one of these earlier this year and set up the nowtv account. If I buy another and apply the new voucher to my account do I get the full two months movies again or does each voucher come with a free one month trial meaning I would only get one month? Thanks.

• You can use the vouchers on existing accounts. You can start and stop your paid subscription at any time.

2. Cheshire Pete says:

I was considering Now TV. Currently pay sky £30 / month for all their basic channels, but I can easily narrow down that of those channels I only really watch stuff on Sky1 and Sky Atlantic, both of which you get in their now TV package which is only £6 / month or £14.99 for 3 months. Over a year paying what I do now which is £360 versus £60 a year with now TV should be a no brainer really! I should pick up the phone and cancel my subscription!

• sandgrounder says:

Do call to cancel. They will ask you to stay, keep insisting you will leave until they offer you 50% off. If they dont do it on the phone, the offer will appear on your online account as you apprach the deadline. It may start at a lower discount, but as time goes on they will offer the half price. Then just get the original bundle, no HD for 10.25 a month. Thats what I did last month now have it for twelve months.

• Do they do that on all packages. My annual renewal is the end of August and I was going to cancel and see what they offered.

• Sorry-that’s in relation to a sky package with family, sports and movies.

• sandgrounder says:

Yes my dad got 50% off his deal as well and he has the lot. You can change your mind up to the end of the notice period so nothing to lose. On ‘my sky’ the option to reconsider appeared during the 30 days and i think it went to 50% for twelve months with a week to go.

• James67 says:

Just take care, now tv does not have all programs on al channells I believe, especially popular American series, so a 50% discount may be better deal for you as you will also retsin bix functionality. Thx yo Sanfgrounder and Fenny for earlier feedback.

3. Frenske says:

Does Now TV provide subtitles for all movies like Netflix does for 99% of theirs? I am hard of hearing and cannot watch without subtitles.
    1 in 6 UK persons has hearing loss and I cannot believe Amazon Prime TV does not address the large group of consumers.

4. Tilly71 says:

This deal was half that price a few months back with 3 months pass. I’m sure it’s on other sites for a lot less than this price, the increase is not worthy of 250 pts.

• I agree. also apparently there’s a new box coming out in August that has HD and is wired , hence why retailers are trying to shift these .

• James67 says:

I was thinking same as you guys but you can squeeze the margin a bit. Buy a pay com card to purchase box gives another 60 clubcard points prorata. Using the right credit card can get another 2 points or miles per £. Box can be sold for £2 at CEX or I was planning to give away as gift. Agreed still not as good as in the past but could still be useful for some.

5. Waribai says:

I was considering this but after some research decided to buy an amazon firestick. I then side loaded it with Kodi and added the Genesis, Navi X, and Phoenix add ons. I now have access to 70,000 films and also all the sky entertainment and sky sports channels and hundreds of TV channels from around the world for £0 a month!

• James67 says:

Best way is to spend short time on each platform exploiting best deals on each. Before signing up it is almost impossible to know the content on offer in detail. Once signed up you soon understand why: the content is very underwhelming. I liked movie selection on now tv much better than amazon or netflix but it is still limited, about 900 in total, most of which most people have seen over the years. If you are planning on using fire stick for streaming be aware it can be findly and problematic on nokindle devices according to reports. For streaming chromecast seems to be best.

• Amazon Prime is my preferred provider, as I get my Amazon orders delivered free within the £79 annual price. I can usually find something to watch – just started with Arrow, even though only S1 & 2 are on there so far.

Now TV gives me GoT on a 3 month Entertainment subscription, plus access to all their box sets for those 3 months. Mainlined Mad Men this time round and started on Chicago Fire.

6. Managed to get Sky a couple of months ago on a 50% discount for 12 months. Currently 1 month in and paying £37 per month for everything including HD.

Long term, I think Sky would be better off providing their channels via app based systems like Apple TV or Playstation3/4 rather than having to provide a dish and a set top box.

7. Waribai says:

Indeed. If you go to countries such as South Korea they find it strange how we still have dishes attached to the side of our houses.

8. On the subject of Sky, I have just got 12 months free telephone line rental for free as I gave them a call and said I was going to move my broadband and telephone to BT.

9. As Nigel said there is a new box due: black, wired, enhanced hardware and performance to retail at £15 supposedly.

10. Erico1875 says:

Sorry Raffles, artical is technically wrong re now box having more channels than Chromecast.
    Chromecast can Cast all Now TV services, Netflix, YouTube plus Film On live TV plus Spotify etc

11. Slightly OT. We have full sky package in living room and TV with free view in bedroom. What’s best to increase what we can see in bedroom without paying sky multi room? The main TV is frequently on kids channels and I would love some more lifestyle channels apart from only those on free view.
    Thanks in advance

12. Am I missing something here, but what is the point of devices like this, or Amazon TV stick, or CC or even Apple TV when if you have a Smart TV with all the apps on it, whats the point of one of these devices?

• No point at all, if your Smart TV has Amazon Prime, Netflix etc.

• But surely the likes of those HFP readers, are most likely to have smart TVs, so I’m not getting why lods of people here are buying these or similar devices?

• I don’t have a smart TV!

• Not all smart tvs, or internet connected DVD players and the like have all the different apps. I have a smart tv, but recently, the Demand 5 app disappeared from for reasons of software upgrades.
          My telly doesn’t have Blinkbox or Netflix, but my DVD player does. Neither has NowTV, ITV.com or 4OD
          Now TV and Amazon Prime Fire Stick have all the terrestrial catch up services and other apps that my telly/DVD player doesn’t have.
          The telly in my room at my Mum’s house has only an external aerial, in a very poor reception area. The only way I can watch anything on it is through a Now TV box, cobbled into a set of component inputs via an HDMI converter.

• I don’t either – TBH my TV has become just a big screen given the analogue tuner now doesn’t do anything and I only rarely watch live TV. As others have mentioned these boxes are quite handy for turning an existing TV into a smart one (and thanks to the wonders of VPN they also work nicely in Oz too!)

13. Now TV has been great for me but how do i cancel my subscription? I signed up at http://www.gratisfaction.co.uk/freebies/free-1-month-movie-pass-with-voucher-code-at-now-tv/ and dont see where I can cancel. Any info is appreciated :)

By the way its a great way to watch the latest films and sports so well worth the 30 day trial atleast :)

14. Sarah Murray says:

15% off Prezzo / Pizza Express / Pizza Hut gift cards at Tesco until 9 Aug!
    Presumably the 150 cc points bonus will also kick in…

• It will! However, history shows that you need to spend £50 AFTER the discount to get the points.

This is different to most Tesco offers where it bases the bonus on spending pre-discounts.