New non-travel Tesco Clubcard redemption ideas worth a look

The Tesco Clubcard coverage on Head for Points is, obviously, focussed towards Avios and Virgin Flying Club redemptions.

I am certainly not blinded into thinking that those are the best ways to redeem your Clubcard vouchers, however.

I wrote this long article last November looking at the other travel deals offered.

More recently, I wrote about how to book UK and Ireland Hilton family hotels using Clubcard.

Tesco car insurance

Double your vouchers at Tesco Direct

Travel redemptions are not the ‘be all and end all’.

Tesco is currently running an excellent redemption deal with Tesco Direct.

As you can see here, you can currently redeem your Clubcard vouchers for double their face value for ANY purchase at Tesco Direct.

EVERYTHING on Tesco Direct, except products sold by 3rd party partners and mobile phone credit, is available.

Want an iPad?  You can effectively get one for half price.  Playstation 4?  Check.  Pretty much everything else you’d find in your typical Argos catalogue?  Check.

If you have £20 of Clubcard vouchers, you could order £40 of goods from Tesco Direct or swap them for 4,800 Avios points.   On the basis that there would definitely be something at Tesco Direct you wanted, you would by ‘paying’ 0.83p per Avios point.

This isn’t a bad deal, of course, but I look to pick them up for 0.75p or less.  Using your vouchers in the Tesco Direct promotion may make sense.

All of the rules can be found on this Tesco Direct page.

The offer ends on September 13th.

Finally …. an interesting Telegraph deal

If you are a Daily Telegraph reader, you might be interested to know that Tesco now offers digital subscription packs for Clubcard vouchers.

As per this page, you will receive a full 7-day digital sub to the Daily and Sunday Telegraph for just £20 of Clubcard vouchers.  This is an attractive deal in my view.

Beat the tube strike! - a quick reminder of our taxi sign-up codes
Can you use Avios to reach Easter Island or the Galapagos with LAN?

Comments

1. heydudes says:

365 days Telegraph sub for £20 is even better value :)

• Jonathan says:

Agree annual Telegraph subscription for £20 looks decent.

• I read the Telegraph online everyday without a subscription. Eventually it says that I have exceeded the number of free pages and I have to close and reopen the browser. It does download a load of advertising which slows everything down; does anyone know if this is true of the paid version ?

• James67 says:

Totally disagree, you are getting close to 0p value per clubcard point. Firstly, the Telegraph, like virtually all the UK press, are hardly woth the paper they are printed on. Secondly, you could read something else with free digital content which is more in the spirit of the www.

• Waribai says:

I am with you on this!

• Agree with you too.
        Why pay for The Telegraph online (as it gets more and more like the daily Mail) when you can read it for free by clearing your cache ..

• Agree. Like BA, The Telegraph is a shadow of it’s former self and I NEVER pay for it any more…..

• Even better, set your browser privacy exceptions such that cookies from The Telegraph website are never accepted. That way you won’t ever need to restart your browser or repeated clear your cache. Works with many other sites too, but not the FT.

2. Evans Cycles is also an excellent option. I’ve had a new road bike plus a bunch of accessories – also at 2x value, but a better range than Direct.

Was covered here when added, but seems to be permanent now http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/04/23/clubcard-evans-cycles/

3. M HOCKENHULL says:

A good offer at the moment with Tesco deals is English Heritage membership. There are various offers but the best one is family membership – 2 adults and up to 6 children for £30

4. I’m also on the lookout for a new ipad. Tesco Direct have one at £279 which is about 33000 avios in CC vouchers. I think I’ll wait for a discount code also though.

5. Becoming a Premium Manager in the Telegraph Fantasy Football competition gives you a 6 month subscription. I paid £6 for my 4 extra teams and got the subscription. I’ll be looking at the various offers.

6. Tilly71 says:

You can also use double up to buy something you want and get a healthy amount of clubcard points back. For instance, the Asus tablet gives you 2000 cc points back as it’s on a bonus offer at the moment.

7. thanks for the Eurotunnel tip! Didn’t realise it was an option.
    Was just about to book up (and hoping issues are sorted out by next spring…) so that’s a perfect use of the vouchers. much apprecated!

8. One of the things that I find with collection (and I may be in the minority on this site) is that Avios are only any good if you actually have enough of them for a worthwhile redemption.

In my case I want to make sure I have enough Avios to redeem for the flight I want at the point I need to book it, so everything gets converted to Avios. I don’t earn enough to business flying (because I don’t fly on business) nor through credit cards (I maybe spend £25,000 – £30,000 a year there) to get an annual flight worth worrying about.

• I totally agree, having been led to the holy grail of premium cabin flying and collecting clubcard points it would be hard to go back, even though it’s got harder to collect and more expensive to redeem flights it means that Tesco cc points really need to go to avios, Virgin for a Hilton conversion.
      Although I had built up a stack of points, for a GS conversion this week, until they pulled Rolex from their offering 6 weeks ago.

• Snap – Ive been hoarding CC points for a rolex and was just about to start looking :(

• Duncan, sounds like you need to up your collecting. Are you double dipping at tesco eg, pay with amex and scan your clubcard or tesco credit card clubcard. Maybe you need to get a new amex every year for their bonus…. We feel for you. Do you find any of those 3v cards to use for bills? With that amount of cc spend you could def churn the odd amex card. Anyway, happy collecting…

9. I always ring fence what I need in points for family days out (e.g. Longleat etc), where you can get 3 to 4 times value. Anything left convert to avios.

Try to avoid Tesco direct double ups as i’ll just end up convincing myself I need things that I won’t use.

10. Froggitt says:

Make sure the Telegraph offer includes the iPad app, not just access to the website.

11. I actually clicked the email link to come check out the comments because I was thinking £20 CC for 7 days seemed incredibly steep to me. Much more palatable for 365 days!

12. We’ve had good use out of the 4x offers on holidays in York and Scotland over the past couple of years. Camera Obscura in Edinburgh was good and we’ve got the Chatham Historic Dockyard lined up for next week. We booked the activities too late but I think that we could have got really good value by exchanging them for National Trust of Scotland activities (we did the land rover safari in Glencoe). They also kept our costs down in Inverness where we ate in Zizzi and Pizza Express. Tesco Direct Boost sometimes provides additional opportunities e.g we exchanged some soon to expire points for Lego during the last Boost and we combined this with a 1000 points for a £60 spend offer. As a regular short haul traveller I find that the best use of Avios is to use small amounts on flights that I needed to take anyway. I was just checking prices around October half term and for flight times that I have to take, the pricing was £220 cash, RFS 14000 + £35 or just under 5000 + £110.

13. MoNkEyMaN says:

I have recently used Tesco points at 3X value to book car hire through Affordable Car Hire. They are a broker and give the option of various hire companies, along with clear information on additional charges and terms and conditions. On comparison with other companies and brokers, their rates are competitive and gave a true three times value.

14. Jonathan asked:
    ‘Does anyone have any knowledge of “Telegraph Subscriber” rewards / offers? You get access to the scheme through the subscription, no idea if it’s any good and the website doesn’t reveal much info pre-login.’

I have a £25 digital subscription, an offer from November 2014. I find it convenient for a quick flick through news stories without the obvious pandering to print readers’ prejudices (politics treated as ‘news’, irrelevant pix of young women to illustrate stories, etc – Private Eye’s reference to the Daily Mailograph is apt. :))

The subscriber club has been worthwhile for us. We’ve been to several film previews and can buy at Robert Dyas on Thursdays with a 15% discount (or anytime online). There’s a regular offer at WHSmugg and some others, not to forget a free tea or coffee at Debenhams on weekday afternoons (!). Sometimes cultural and travel discounts, including 2-4-1 airport lounge access mentioned elsewhere.

I’d say for £25 or £20 in Tesco coupons, it’s a good deal, even if telegraph.co.uk can be accessed free.

I’ve just been on to Telegraph customer services – checking that they had cancelled a continuous debit authority they had improperly set up. They told me the ‘normal’ price of a digital subscription is about to be ‘enhanced’ to £130.

I’m inclined to use the Tesco £20 offer even though my current subscription is still live. Anybody know if I can stack it for redemption n November? There’s no info in the T+C sction of the Tesco page. I see it’s marked as a special offer, but reviews go back to at least February 2015 so it’s not particularly new.

• I have just upgraded to Windows 10 so can read the article without all the adverts (does not work on this site Rob, it also blocks out comments).
      Maybe you can do this on other browsers too?

• The HFP ads are partly ‘pay per view’, so if you block them (and they are hardly intrusive), I don’t earn …..

• as I said, it doesn’t work on HfP, and they are not intrusive unlike the Telegraph etc.

• I know that, I was just making a general point for the benefit of others. Ad blocking technology is not as clever as it thinks it is, because whole chunks of the web rely on advertising revenue to survive.

• Completely agree that ads are necessary for site revenue, but I have a major problem with ads that move, flash, autoplay videos or pop up when you accidentally mouse over them. So, for that reason, I use adblockers and turn it off when I need to.

• No silly pop up ads on HFP, I am pleased to say. It is odd that I operate to higher standards than the broadsheet newspaper sites, but there you go!

15. Correct. Obviously keep an eye on the expiry date, but you’d be crazy to convert until you need them. If you do ….

a) you might miss out on an Avios conversion bonus (although not seen one for a while)
    b) you might miss out on a great deal from another Tesco partner altogether