200 free Starwood Preferred Guest points for everyone

If you have a Starwood Preferred Guest account, here is a very easy way to pick up 200 free SPG points.  In most hotel programmes 200 points won’t get you far, but I value an SPG point at 1.5p so you looking at £3 of value for 60 seconds of your time.

Starwood has launched a new feature called SPG Dashboard.  There is, so far, very little on it apart from a summary of your stays in the current year and over your lifetime plus indicators of your progress to your next status level.

The SPG Dashboard page is here.

Starwood SPG

Scroll down and you will see a box marked ‘Opt In and Earn’.

Ticking one or both of the boxes and submitting the form will sign you up to SPG emails.  More importantly, it will earn you 200 Starpoints which will post within 30 days.  As well as boosting your balance, these should also reset the expiry date of your points.

If you are already signed up for Starwood emails, you won’t see this option.  In which case, you need to click on the top right icon and click ‘My Profile’.  Under ‘Communication Preferences’, untick the box for ‘SPG E-Statements’ and click save.

You now need to clear your cookies or open a different browser (not a different tab) or start ‘in private browsing’.  Repeat the process above to visit the dashboard and the option to opt back in to emails and earn your 200 points should be there!

This offer runs until 30th November.

(Want to earn more hotel points?  To see our complete list of promotions from the major chains, click here to visit our ‘Hotel Promos’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Bits: 400% Apple bonus with Heathrow Rewards, 10 x Nectar points on petrol, Qatar launch date for Sydney
3,000 miles in ANY airline scheme with a Rocketmiles hotel booking

Comments

1. My account was already signed up to emails and the offer showing was 500pts for making a booking via the App. So I un-signed, logged out, logged in via private browsing & a different browser but still just had the original offer. No easy 200 pts for me.

2. This did not work for me either. Opened the dashboard, opted out of email, and logged out. Then went back in using different browser but no option to “Opt In and Earn”

3. Think Square says:

Not working for me either.

The silver lining is I won’t be getting any more spam from SPG.

4. Yes, doesn’t work for me either.

5. Worked for me – but I wasn’t already opted in. Thanks!

• Did not work for me.
      Unchecked everything.-Log out\in etc.
      May take a while to update ones profile so I’ll be checking back in 24hrs.

6. couldn’t get it to work either, will try again later when profile may have updated per the above

7. Worked for me fine. And very timely too. I only have a couple of thousand points
    , but was faced with making an MR transfer as they expire in 1 month 7 days. Perfect timing!

8. Guesswho2000 says:

Worked for me, cheers Rob!

9. whiskerxx says:

Worked fine for me. Opted out and saved. Signed out. Closed all browsers, cleared cache, cookies etc, did disk clean up, opened new browser and followed link from HFP, on three accounts.

10. gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

Did not work for me, but did for my wife’s account. Remember that it is easy to merge SPG balances.

11. OT, has anyone looked at the earning bonuses on varios hotels booked through BA? e.g. quadruple avios on accor. Wonder if any become decent value.

• Covering the Accor one tomorrow. Because the Accor earning rate is not great anyway, it isn’t hugely more generous than a standard stay earning Avios at a Holiday Inn, unless you are spending a lot.

12. Not a sign of an “opt in and earn” option. Following the link above, all I see is a search screen for Caesar’s resorts. I couldn’t even find a “My Profile” link and had to go to the spg.com page to change my preferences.

13. John Gallagher says:

Didn’t work for me but did work for my wife

14. Didn’t work for me either – no sign of an “Opt In” to anything option!

15. No, it didn’t work for me either. However, it was useful to review joint points earning with partners.

I had already linked my SPG and Delta accounts. Today I added Emirates and Uber.

Uber looks interesting. At least 1 Starpoint per USD on Uber rates, more in conjunction with an SPG stay. Limit $10,000 spend p.a. Needs at least one SPG stay p.a. Note that e-mail addresses for SPG and Uber must be the same for transactions to track.

Details under Earning Starpoints when logged in.

16. Globetrotter7 says:

Worked like a treat! Opted out before opening dashboard. Then When I opened dashboard, the option to opt in and earn was there. Great timing too as my points are due to expire in November. Thanks Raffles

17. Did not work for me but instead I have a 250p promotion for registering for SPG Keyless. Valid till Dec 2..

18. Eventually got this to work – I too had a search screen that came up when logging into the dashboard. I clicked on the HFP link again whilst still logged in via another tab and eventually had the dashboard appear and was able to claim the 200 points (having first unsubscribed, cleared the cache etc.).

19. Not working for me either – signed in, opted out, logged out, new incognito window, signed back in and only offer is “Super-easy Starpoints. Get this bonus only through SPG® Dashboard: Earn 500 Starpoints® when you book your next stay through the SPG app. It’s that simple.”

Nothing re. 200 pts – anyone know how to force it to appear?!