£92 flat-bed business class deal on LAN’s Madrid to Frankfurt service (and earn tier points)!

Last year I wrote an introductory piece on South American airline LAN. LAN is a oneworld partner so you can use Avios points to redeem for its flight from Madrid to Santiago, Chile.

It also has an impressive business class service as you can see from that article and the photo below.

Few people know that the LAN flight from Chile does not terminate in Madrid.  It carries on to Frankfurt.

Last Summer LAN was offering some exceptionally good deals on this flight.  At present, the prices are not quite as good but – if you are a bit of an aviation geek or simply fancy earning some British Airways tier points in style – this could be an option.

Why?  Because you can buy tickets just for the Frankfurt to Madrid flight.

The LAN website is here.

LAN 787 business class

If you want to try out the very nice business class seat above, here are the prices I found for a flight in February or beyond:

Frankfurt to Madrid one-way – £107

Madrid to Frankfurt one-way – £92

Return trip – £163 irrespective of where you start

You will earn roughly 1,100 Avios points and 40 tier points for each segment.  The flight is 2 hours and 40 minutes so you will get a decent amount of time to enjoy the LAN seat.  Lounge access is also included.

Note that you will be flying a Boeing 787 Dreamliner which a lot of people have not yet been able to experience.

LAN 787 business class

You can book this on the LAN website as well as, with a small booking fee, expedia.co.uk which is where I got the prices above.

The timings are not ideal, to be honest.  The Frankfurt flight departs at 19.35 and lands in Madrid at 22.10.  The Madrid to Frankfurt flight leaves at 15.10 and lands at 17.45.

There probably aren’t many HFP readers who actually need to fly from Madrid to Frankfurt, or vice versa.  However, if you are after some cheap BA tier points and fancy trying out a different airline then this is a fun deal.

If you want to do a triangular trip from the UK to Frankfurt to Madrid to the UK or vice versa, remember that some Iberia flights to Heathrow are operated with long-haul A330 aircraft with flat beds in business class.  You can redeem these seats using Avios and it would be an interesting comparison to do that flight and the LAN trip as part of the same journey.

Bits: Gatwick Sofitel £69 via lastminute.com, BA Gate 365 bonus Avios deal
Bits: excellent Virgin East Coast sale, Heathrow Airport Parking sale, 3000 Avios with RocketMiles

Comments

1. I’m going to hit about 900 tier points this year and am very tempted to try and do a TP run for gold! Doing the Qatar business from Stockholm to Bangkok which is a nice 500+ TP :) but need something like that again I think although something cheaper would be nice

2. Great deal! You can also book via Amex travel for the same price but get the £50 credit back on +£150 spend, if you have the offer on your account.

• Well that only is a possibility for the 10000 Amex Gold members that saved the deal on the site like me , but still a good point .

3. MrHandBaggageOnly says:

We did the LHR-MAD-FRA triangle last summer thanks to HFP. A couple of days in Madrid followed by Frankfurt for a day made for a very enjoyable long weekend. Recommended.

4. HeadForPoins why have you ignored the Bank of China Rewards credit card ? The do have 4 braches in the UK and issue the card here as well . There is a very decent mile earn potential from what I saw .

• Er … possibly because I’ve never heard of it :-) I will take a look.

• You answered your own question – the Tesco one is the only one there is. To be honest, when it launched, the earning rate was poor (1 per £8) compared to the credit card (1 per £4) that it got little traction. Now that the credit card rate has halved, I should give it another look – and I will.

• Unless I’m missing something BOC aren’t very forthcoming with information!

Looks like you’ve talking about the Great Wall International Credit Card (http://www.bankofchina.com/uk/pbservice/pb4/201110/t20111025_1576349.html). For every £1 spent you get 10 gift points, which can be redeemed for all manner of things, like stainless steel flasks and even a mini humidifier, these appear to be poor value as it was take £8,800 of spend to earn a flask. On that page it does say you can convert points into air miles but there’s no additional information, any pointers would be appreciated.

• To see the transfer rate to thee airlines go to their Chinese website and look at the transfer rates and partners there (Google Translate) . Or look at the whole list of cards that they offer http://www.boc.cn/en/bcservice/bc1/ . As fas as I understood in the terms you can get all of them any where in the world but you will have to repay in RMB with some thus it would work ideal with a no foreign transaction fee account like Cumberland Building Society .

THE GOOD KICKER IS THAT YOU EARN 10 points on 5 RMB spent which equals roughly 10 points for 52p +0.1% cash back . If I calculated correctly a transfer rate of 10 points =1 mile in China Southern (Theoretically can be transferred to FlyingBlue or other SkyTeam) +0.1% cash back mean that we would be getting roughly 2 points per £1 spending which sounds pretty good for me . Obviously more research is needed as I am no expert but if HeadForPoints has some time It would make for a great reading material in an article .

• A persuasive case, well made :)

• Many thanks for the reply, I was just looking at the UK page on their site and didn’t think to look to the Chinese one. It does seem like a good return, and as a Cumbrian it is nice to see someone mention the Cumberland!

• On the subject of missing articles…. Propeller? 😉

5. Hi Rob, I am actually in Chile right now and did flew the new tam airlines to São Paulo and the new lab Dreamliner to Santiago, both amazing products. Putting BA into shame! I will send you a review with a few photos.
    I’m still waiting for BA to credit my avios and TP, it has been a week now, is it normal? I bought the ticket on tam website during a sale but they are J fare so I should definitely be eligible…
    Let me know your experience. Thanks

6. Andrew H says:

Anyone know off hand how many avios it costs to book the Madrid to Frankfurt leg in business class?

Out of curiosity I was looking at the super luxurious First Class Garuda Indonesia AMS->LGW leg, where you’re met on arrival, escorted through security to the lounge, have your own pod on the plane and are escorted through immigration at Gatwick as a VIP. Costs £240 but you can’t book it in miles unfortunately. Plus it’s a short flight. I would like to try that one day.

• Standard rate, I guess 15k each way in Business given flight time.

• Lady London says:

I think you can book that Garuda First Class with other miles though.
      An American blogger covered how much he enjoyed being fawned over on it.

• I booked it with Flying Blue miles!

• Andrew H says:

You may be able to book the long haul flight to Gatwick in First using miles but I have yet to find a way of just booking the AMS->LGW leg in First.

I have tried searching both KLM and Air France’s award flights on Garuda but they will only offer you the economy and business options. No First.

• Garuda launched London Gatwick in September 2014 as a tag to Amsterdam and now plans to drop Gatwick at the end of March while launching London Heathrow to Jakarta non-stops. Initially the Heathrow flight is slated to stop in Singapore on the outbound leg but Garuda expects eventually to operate non-stops to London once runway issues at Jakarta are resolved.

7. redkitty says:

Hi Raffles, I looked at the booking class for the tickets on Expedia and they show as Class Z. Does this mean they don’t earn tier points as I can’t see that class coming up on the BAEC website using the Avios calculator. Only shows Biz CLass, J, D and I.

I also tried to book via the LAN website and it also shows Class Z.
    Thanks.

8. I booked the flight in Business class from MAD-FRA one way just for fun on a Saturday, if any HFP readers want to join me to enjoy some drinks then let me know.

9. Devios Damon says:

Yes thanks Harry, if you hadnt ever mentioned that we wouldnt have seen James website & links…….. !

• Rather good, I think you’ll agree :)

I’m not a particular airline junkie, but I do admire a great bit of personal experience & expertise, James.

10. I’m just looking at these flights now. They appear to book into business ‘Z’ class which doesn’t appear to be listed as a code on the BA site (J,D,I are all listed for LAN business). Can anyone confirm that these flights will earn Avios and tier points. Thanks!

11. Dicksbits says:

It’s slightly irritating that the fare is £191 if you fly Frankfurt – Madrid vs £169 the other way round, in my mid-week searches. Only at weekends does it fall to £154. Easier for me to fly the first way as it only involves one night stay in a hotel

12. Fastbowler says:

Just booked Madrid Frankfurt in business in March for £176 for two minus the £50 Amex credit
    Also booked avios flights out to Madrid on Iberia Airbus 330 plus return from Frankfurt on BA 767.
    Should be an interesting wide bodied flight tour of Europe combined with city breaks in Madrid and Frankfurt which are new cities to both of us.

• Sounds great – that is definitely the best way to treat these offers. I would like to do it myself but I need to find a good way of routing it.

• Fastbowler says:

Many thanks Raffles for your invaluable help in putting this fun little trip together!

With help from your previous articles we are also going from Dublin to JFK and SFO
        on separate trips this summer which will take us to BA Silver for the first time.

These are not just holidays. These are Head for Points holidays which are much more stylish yet affordable!

13. Well, I booked this for fun – and also booked cash BA Y class from LHR/MAD to position O/B and then J class on IB A340/500 on I/B so we’ll see what that’s like. And I get to see one of the year’s most exciting Operas in Frankfurt while I am at it. All for £380 – with my upcoming trip to Vienna using the £150 return deal from earlier, that’s almost Bronze – am heading for Silver this year!
    Now for hotels where I get to gain Avios … any good tips? Kaligo still? Can;t remember whats current…. !

• No Kaligo deal at present I think, but if you wait a couple of weeks I am sure they or Rocketmiles will have something.

14. Does anyone have any experience of doing a back to back from Madrid and turning straight around in Frankfurt?