HFP EXCLUSIVE: 5,000 bonus Avios with £350 of hotel bookings via Kaligo.com

Head for Points and hotel booking site Kaligo.com, which awards Avios points with every hotel you book, are running an EXCLUSIVE promotion this week.

It is a simple, straightforward and potentially lucrative one.

If you spend over £350 on hotels before midnight on Sunday 31st January, across one or numerous bookings, you will receive 5,000 bonus Avios points.

These points are in addition to the base Avios points you will receive for your booking.

The stays can be booked at any point until January 2017 – a full year!

You MUST register before you book at this promotional website in order to receive the bonus.

Kaligo

As usual with such promotions, you need to check your pricing before you book.  Kaligo.com is not always the cheapest place to book – it depends on the property.  However, when you factor in the value of the 5,000 bonus Avios points – plus the base Avios you earn from the stay – they should be looking pretty good.

Remember that you will usually not earn points for your room spend in any hotel loyalty programme linked to the property you book if you use Kaligo.com (or indeed any third-party hotel booking site).  Depending on the hotel, you may receive status benefits or points for your food and drink spend.

This offer only runs until midnight on Sunday.   I would start to think about your hotel plans for the next few months and see if you can find £350-worth which you can divert to Kaligo.com!

Remember that you MUST register in advance via this page on the Kaligo.com website.

It is fair to say that Kaligo.com’s customer service is excellent – their representatives even pop up on social media to answer queries – so you should have no concerns at all about your bonus posting properly.  The company is also very punctual at posting your Avios posts once you have checked out.

Thanks to the team at Kaligo.com for making this exclusive deal available to Head for Points readers.

For Sale: hotel brands (Radisson / Park Inn / Park Plaza), good condition, offers invited
BOOK FROM 2pm TODAY: new list of 5,000 points per night IHG PointBreaks with a New York option

Comments

1. Yes, there are many cases where Kaligo is more expensive, but to be fair, I have found occasions where it has been the cheapest option. A recent booking for a Hyatt in NYC for example – they were the cheapest and was able to net 30k+ Avios for it. So always worth checking and comparing.

• 30,000 Avios costs £495 if you were to buy them from avios.com. I find it hard to believe that Kaligo were able to award that many points, and still turn a profit at the margin they seem to work to, while undercutting all of the other hotel aggregator websites.

• That’s not how it works.

Hotel sells online for £100.

Hotel dumps rooms to wholesalers for £40 but with a condition that they cannot undercut (or will only undercut by an agreed margin).

Kaligo uses part of the margin to fund the Avios, on the basis that a smaller profit is better than no profit, assuming you would otherwise have booked elsewhere.

• Yeah, I wasn’t suggesting that’s how it works, just emphasizing that 30,000 avios is not an insignificant value of points for Kaligo to fund. And I appreciate that Kaligo won’t be paying as much as £495 to fund 30k.
          A few people here are suggesting they have bagged great deals but I challenge anyone to find a live example and share it.

• …. which is not tricky.

A random search for London for 4th February puts the Danubius Regents Park at the top of the list. Cost is £226 for 3,900 base Avios, plus of course the HFP bonus 5,000 if you get over £350 with another booking.

Expedia wants £349. booking.com wants £349. The hotel itself has no rooms left to sell from its own allocation.

This is just randomly taking the first hotel on the Kaligo list.

• Trickier than you think…

It took me 2 minutes to find that hotel for £125 on hoteltravel.com (via tripadvisor). Same date. Same hotel. Same room type. So you’re paying £101 for 3,900 avios points which is terrible for you, and fantastic for Kaligo.

I honestly think that finding a great deal on that website will be a needle in a haystack if it exists at all.

P.S. love this website by the way.

• Exactly. I have had times where booking.com has quoted 50% more than hotels.com & vv. Like raffles says. It may not be the cheapest option everytime. But its worth checking everytime because sometimes you can bag a great deal on kaligo

• I’d be very interested to see a live example of one of these great Kaligo deals.

• LondonFoodie says:

I didn’t check if live this second, but a few months ago I booked Days Inn Copenhagen airport on Kaligo and it was cheaper than all other websites I checked. I guess a bit of pot luck and good research!

• Sussex Bantam says:

I picked up 10K Avios (IIRC) from Kaligo through booking Hyatt Madelaine Paris and Sheraton Copley Square Boston before Christmas. Kaligo were basically the same price as other options (I know this as I had to prove it to my corporate finance team !)

• Lady London says:

Actually I think I did the same for the Comfort Hotel at OSL.
            Maybe Kaligo has some links with particular chains that give them access to better rates from time to time ?

• I booked a hotel in Dudley for £51 with 6100 avios given via bonuses! The cheapest I found elsewhere was £46the same hotel. I had to look under Birmingham rather than Dudley to find it on Kaligo . I’m staying there next month.

2. Greenpen says:

Hotel prices are very variable and I think hotels will often reduce their price with one on-line agent while keeping a higher price with others. I use Trivago to help get the lowest offers but then factor in other issues like points.
    I used Kaligo in the summer when there was another offer running and got an excellent deal; a couple of pounds more than the cheapest and a load of Avios.

• That’s not quite how it works. Hotels with empty rooms effectively ‘dump’ them very cheaply to a wholesaler who agrees to buy, say, 50 rooms a night but at a 65% discount. These rooms are often resold 2-3 times to different wholesalers, each of whom adds another mark-up which brings the price nearer the ‘official’ price. Kaligo gets its stock from these wholesalers, as does every tour operator, the Avios hotel booking service, Rocketmiles, Pointshound etc.

The hotel have no idea where the end sale even came from in many cases because it isn’t from the wholesaler who originally bought the room.

3. Does this promo work with other programmes other than Avios Rob?

4. Nice promo. However, almost every single time I check Kaligo, PointsHouse or RocketMiles, the hotel prices are considerably more expensive than booking elsewhere, to the point that the Avios are not worth it…

5. O/T I was told during the week by secure message that I couldn’t have 2 barclaycards. Now i have found this on their website http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/customer/get-another-barclaycard

• Yep already noted – I think somebody @ B got their sorry ass whupped and they’ve made a rapidvolye face

• It would be easier, of course, if Barclays would deign to talk to me, especially as I am almost certainly the biggest seller of the IHG and Hilton cards outside the relevant hotel websites. But they don’t.

I am going to a (not free) conference on loyalty credit cards in London in a couple of weeks purely to try to get to grips with this.

• Seems a bit weird. Why won’t they talk to you?

• No idea why Barclays don’t engage. I know why Lloyds refuse to engage – they will not work with anyone who has ever published a word of criticism about them. Which counts me out.

Different companies have different approaches to HFP. At one end you get people like Air New Zealand who are very happy to use HFP to raise brand awareness even though it doesn’t sell any tickets short-term, and then you have Barclays for whom I probably shift 2,000 credit cards a year and from whom I have never had as much as an email.

• That’s a real shame and it seems incredibly short sighted but I guess this is Barclays we’re talking about!

• Haha hope they enjoy talking to themselves then… 😀

(although in fairness after some atrocious CS from them earlier this year their escalated complaints team in Fife came through – able to speak to a sensible person who had read the whole complaint file and come to a mutually acceptable resolution, with them accepting fault for their mistakes where appropriate – quite refreshing!)

6. I received an email directly from Kaligo about this offer,

• Bit of PR here, send an email there ….!

• Sussex Bantam says:

Funny use of EXCLUSIVE though !

• It drops through to the HFP landing page.

The email itself does not mention HFP, I agree. Which is confusing and makes the article here look a bit odd.

Technically, though, Kaligo is simply using its own email list to promote the exclusive HFP deal!

• To be fair the Kaligo email link contains head for points and the landing page clearly mentions Head for Points Flash deal so I think this is really a win-win for both Kaligo and HFP which is great.

7. Just booked two hotels at perfectly fair prices. Both are non-chain ones where I’m not sacrificing getting status benefits, and I’m very happy with what will end up being 7600 Avios (in this particular case) for two sensibly priced hotel stays! Thanks – as ever – Rob.

8. HFP can keep pimping Kaligo as much as they want but most of the HFP community have realised that Kaligo is awful vaule for money.

At the end of the day I value Avios based on the following. 20K (ish) can get me a UUA from Club to First on a zone 5/6. Also works for WT+ to Club however I always buy Club and UUA to F.
    So based on that I would be willing to spend an extra £250 to earn 20K for a UUA but usually Kaligo, is no where near this reasonable value.

I haven’t wasted my time with looking at the ‘bonus avios deals’ today because 5K is really not worth the time.

• Sussex Bantam says:

My usual stop over hotel when I’m in Boston is the Marriott Copley Place.

I’m next there on the 5 March for a 1 night stay.

Expedia prices this at £239.93, Hotels.com prices at £240, Kaligo prices at £245 with 1000 Avios. Not a bargain – but certainly not “awful value for money”

I’m not sure why there is so much vitriol towards Kaligo today – sometimes they are good value for money, sometimes they are not. Raffles points out exactly that in his piece.

9. I’ve used Kaligo a number of times, and recently booked 3 hotel stays in Malaysia and South Africa, netting myself 11,800 Avios points (including bonus). I do a quick check against Booking.com and Trivago, and if Kaligo seem uncompetitive, I just book elsewhere.

I’ve used them a number of times for Warsaw and Budapest and they are in line with other sites.
    My hotel costs get billed to my clients, I get the Avios. Works for me.

10. Hi Rob,

Just wanted to say thanks very much for running the website. Despite having been a regular email subscriber for a good while, I’ve only recently started checking out the comments.

I cannot believe how many people moan and groan, or find something to criticise even if the article is telling us about something free.

I am really grateful for all the work you clearly out into the site, and it has opened my eyes to a lot of great opportunities. Please keep it up!

• +1 and very well said.

• Yep, totally agree! Also it’s just common sense. I use Kaligo when they are good value or about the same £ as competitors. It only takes about a minute to check these things…

11. Gabriel Nita says:

I suppose the “dirty secret” of Kaligo’s success is just that many are using it to book business-expensed rooms, and don’t care so much about the real value of their tariffs. It’s hard otherwise to recommend a website that 95% of the time is more expensive than the rest – the chance of finding a good deal is so small (never happened in my case) that I don’t even bother now.

• They’re not, because they can’t issue you with a VAT receipt – so businesses with more than £90k of revenue are at a cost disadvantage by using them.

• Nail on head!

• No, as no VAT receipt.

• No. Not all businesses need to produce VAT receipts to claim VAT back from the Government.

Also, you’re missing the point of the ‘dirty secret’ which is that employees are using these sites for personal gain, deliberately at the expense of their employers. So if it ends up putting the business at a cost disadvantage, and the business doesn’t question it, then that’s precisely how sites like Kaligo and RocketMiles will flourish, and precisely the point Gabriel is making.

• No employee will get away with submitting a non-VAT receipt for a hotel more than once.

The whole frequent flyer / hotel loyalty system is, however, built on the arbitrage of rewarding an employee for how they spend their employers money. It underpins the entire industry. Whilst it may be blatant to book a hotel on Kaligo if it is £10 more than going direct, it is not particularly worse than insisting you stay in a Holiday Inn which is £10 more than the Hampton next door because you need to hit your IHG Accelerate target. Or, indeed, insisting you fly BA ‘because the timings fit my meeting better’ because you need a few tier points despite the ticket being more expensive.

You’ll be telling me next you don’t agree with buying books of taxi receipts on eBay and submitting fake receipts each time you take the tube to a meeting :-)

12. Andrew H says:

To all those criticising Kaligo: I paid £51 for a London hotel room and got 4000 Avios on signup. That’s good value to me!

13. I paid £48 for a night at an airport hotel in Dublin and got 5200 avios.

14. 5000 avios on GBP 350 spend – at Raffles’ valuation of 0.6p per Avios, the bonus is worth GBP 30. Going through hotels.com and getting 20% off gives you GBP 70 off on the same spend.

15. This is what I find annoying – they seem to imply they’re rates are competitive, when most of the time they’re far off:

FAQ

How do I know that I’m getting a good rate?

Rest assured with Kaligo’s price comparison engine!

• But why do so many people here (not all, I hasten to add) seem to want to be spoon-fed the perfect great value saving / points deal without doing any personal research alongside the lead? Then act all disappointed and hood-winked when the value of the deal is not quite as great as they ingenuously ‘believed’?

It takes a few minutes to google comparative prices.

Take a bit of personal responsibility, people?

Stop blaming the messenger? Perhaps blame yourself for not engaging brain for a few minutes?

• well said, sir!

• I don’t think anyone is blaming the messenger, are they?

And it’s because people are doing their own personal research that they’re calling Kaligo out for being a false economy.

• So don’t book with Kaligo. End of story! There are enough people posting on here who have found rates on Kaligo that they are perfectly happy to pay, partly or wholly because of the ‘bonus’ Avios. You haven’t, so you should avoid them. There is no need to make it your personal mission to repeat the same point ad nauseum – the HfP readership is generally smart enough to know when they are being ripped off and will do the necessary checks.

• Perhaps you should have stopped at the end of the story if you don’t like reading the comments.

16. My main problem with Kaligo is that you can’t seem to filter the hotels by distance. So if you search Berlin, for instance, you need to trawl through hundreds of hotels in places you don’t want to stay in, rather than being able to filter according to distance, either from the centre or from particular landmarks.

Maybe the Kaligo team are reading this and can incorporate it – it would make the hotel-finding experience much more user-friendly (for me, at least) and I might even bother to compare them to other sites. At the moment, I don’t usually bother, not because I think they are automatically more expensive, but because I find other sites easier to use.

• Grzegorz says:

Hi Brian,

Grzegorz from Kaligo here. Yes, we’re reading the comments :)

While for now you can’t filter by distance from certain point, there are 2 things that you can do:
      – switch to map view, type the name of landmark you’re looking for (in the field in top-right corner of the map) and check the hotels around
      – on main page, instead of just city name, you can put the name of landmark. For example, if you search for “Brandenburg Gate” instead of just “Berlin”, next to each hotel name you will find the distance from the Gate, also we’ll show you only hotels within a few km from the landmark

I hope that helps!

• Thanks Grzegorz. Good tips – I’ll try those next time.

• Whilst you are here from Kaligo- can you do something about the categories of room you display? They invariably make no sense. What is the difference between twin/double guest room and a “guest room” which costs £100 more for example?

• Grzegorz says:

Hi Leo,

we’re aware of this problem. For various reasons it’s a quite a challenging task (e.g. we receive only the room name, with no description at all, so what you see is exactly what we know), but we’re working on improving that and we hope to see some effects in the next few weeks.

17. ineverturnright says:

I got the metropolitan by como (#1 ranked on tripadvisor) in miami for a 2 night stay on a weekend last November via kaligo and it was about 20% cheaper than the lowest available rate elsewhere, plus I got a load of avios that credited painlessly after the stay. I’d def use it again if it was at or near the lowest price for a property I wanted to stay at. Just posting this to counter the posts that say it’s always at a premium to other sites.

18. Timothy Arnold says:

Not quite the same but got 3k signup bonus today plus 2.1k for one night at a Doubletree in London for £120. Not bad for a work paid overnight trip!