New British Airways First and Club World sale launched, for travel into 2017

British Airways has launced a new ‘Premium Leisure’ sale.  This is offering deals over Easter, the Summer and right into early 2017.

The home page for the sale is here.

You can book until 22nd March.

On most routes you can travel up to 28th February 2017.  It varies by route so take a look at the small print at the bottom of the sale website.

British Airways business first class sale

The easiest way to check out the best prices to a specific destination is with the British Airways Low Fare Finder tool on This will show you the cheapest price on any route, in any class, on month by month basis.

If you can be flexible with dates, there are some decent fares available. Here are some major destinations, priced as World Traveller / World Traveller Plus / Club World / First:

New York £387 / £820 / £1,724 / £2,728

Miami £427 / £939 / £2,102 / £2,782

Abu Dhabi £350 / £764 / £1,342 / £1,907

Mumbai £426 / £717 / £1,608 / £2,377

Bangkok £502 / £1,076 / £1,734 / na

Tokyo £687 / £1,241 / £2,036 / £4,602

In general, fares to Japan and North America are a smidgen higher than they were in the Autumn sale.  The other routes are a touch cheaper in all classes.

There are also some deals on European short-haul flights with some destinations under £200 return for 80 tier points. I spotted Barcelona, Dublin, Nice, Pisa, Venice and Verona (all Gatwick) for under £200. There are plenty more under £225 return as long as you stay away over a Saturday night.

One route that caught my eye for the wrong reasons is Cape Town – this was £1,554 in Club World in the last sale but is now no cheaper than £3,059!

Seoul and Beijing are good value by BA standards at around £1,700. That fare is beaten considerably by the Finnair deals currently available, however.

There continue to be interesting anomalies. Abu Dhabi, for example, is substantial cheaper in First Class than Dubai – even though the two airports are only a short taxi ride apart. It is worth noting that the Abu Dhabi flight is usually better timed for a day flight than the Dubai options.  £1,907 for First Class to Abu Dhabi is a clear response to Etihad’s First Class Apartment taking all of the full fare customers.  Similarly, £1,342 for Club World to Abu Dhabi is a reflection of the fact that the Etihad A380 Business Class Studio is light years ahead.

Remember that ‘Part Pay With Avios’ can be used with these fares.  The maximum discount during the sale is £200 for 30,000 Avios points per return flight in Club World or First.  All other flights are capped at £100 for 15,000 Avios – including Euro Traveller and Club Europe short haul flights.

The best thing to do if you are interested is to pop over to and have a look around.  The full sale details are here.

Bits: $75m for Heathrow slot pair, new InterCon in Pattaya, Flying Blue miles sale
I don't get it. Why do people like the Turkish Airlines lounge in Istanbul?

1. Rob – no mention of the BA 30% bonus on buying Avios, or are you saving that for the wknd?

• Raffles says:

Was flying back from Ras Al Khaimah yesterday (on tube from LHR as I type) so squeezed for time.

2. Plus Abu Dhabi is also operated by a B789 and thus is a bit nicer in first (although Dubai gets the 789 too soon on one of the daily flights).

• Raffles says:

Doing this in 3 weeks!

• Do tell us if it’s any good – I am looking for a way back from Perth and I could potentially take that flight back from AUH (in conjunction with an EY 789 in J). Other options include SQ A350 J (favourite) and VS 789 J.

3. Some of those fares are ludicrous if targeting leisure passengers. £1700 plus yo JFK in cramp world is mad. Ex EU and AA have nothing to fear from the latest DFS style BA sale.

• Globetrotter7 says:

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today did we?

• Lostantipod says:

Not sure I disagree with paul. Over £3800 “sale price” for LHR-SYD return in CW is more than I ever pay any airline to get to SYD unless I am travelling at very short notice ( at least, on the dates I searched, which reflect when I usually go there) And anyway, I would not swap Etihad’s inflight experience in J for BA if the price was the same.

• BA ex Oslo is permanently under £2,000

• Agree – best long-term deal going for travel to Oz! Great availability and options from elsewhere in the UK to get to OSL (e.g EDI on Norwegian), plus nice place for a wee citybreak! Saves you almost 50% vs ex-UK pricing.

4. Your part-pay-with-Avios rate is wrong – they’ve doubled it as well for the sale, so I saved £100 for 7,500 avios on a CE return yesterday.

5. F to AbuDhabi is the about the best there is, not the best we have seen, ESP for a family in school hols. Way too expensive..

• Dubai OT:
      A friend of mine has just invited me to join her as she is traveling for work and wants to extend to enjoy some warmth over the weekend. I have never been to Dubai and I am wondering:
      -Is there a problem in sharing the room with her (not my girlfriend!)
      -Any hotel on Jumeirah beach should be good? anyone has been at the Radisson Blu Residence, Dubai Marina? ideas for redemption?
      I am also looking for flight redemptions, it seems so far that AA is probably the best choice, but I have to research more…thanks!

• Cheapest redemption option is airberlin into Abu Dhabi and then a taxi.

No problem sharing a room in a hotel, there is a problem in a private house.

Redeemable hotels are not the best choices (unless you have Jumeirah points) but various options. Habtoor is Marriott Autograph, SPG has a few options on the beach and there is a Hilton. The Hilton is connected to an Executive Apartments property. Grosvenor House (SPG) gives access to the Meridien beach resort I think. The new Doubletree (private beach) is meant to be good with Hilton points. Waldorf-Astoria on the Palm if rolling in Hilton points but bad reports.

InterCon at the Marina should be a modest walk to the public bits of beach down by The Walk but I don’t know exactly where it is.

• Or if you don’t mind an hours ride to RAS there’s the waldorf or the hilton next door. When I stayed a few months back we got the premier suite at the hilton despite booking a cheap room on cash rate 😀

• Or use AA miles to book etihad and use the free chauffeur

6. I’m wary of booking sale fares now. At the weekend my partner and I were downgraded from Club Europe and offered only £15 each. We had booked the tickets in the October flash sale.

• £15 each, really ? Did you take it ? This is an involuntary downgrade. If BA downgrades your flight of travel you are entitled to a refund on your ticket. This is 30% for Category 1 flights, 50% of Category 2, 75% of Category 3. Now it is not entirely clear in the Regulations as to whether that is the whole ticket, including unaffected sections of that ticket. Therefore the range of options varies from 75% of the whole ticket (out and back) as purchased, down to 30% of the implied cost of the sector affected (which could be a relatively small amount of money if that sector is a small add-on to a long haul journey). However the CAA has advised that their interpretation is that the whole ticket is used to calculate downgrades, not just the affected leg; equally we know of situations where BA only compensated the effected leg. Also note that you may be entitled to further consumer protection: for example if the Regulation’s compensation was less than the amount paid the upgrade (such as an airport upgrade) then there may be scope for a challenge under contract law.

• The_Real_A says:

The irony is thats probably a fair valuation of the on-plane benefits of club europe.

Mike – nice explanation of downgrade protection.

7. Dave Barron says:

Off topic – Rob, my Axex Gold has new offers showing. Hilton spend of £250 gets £50 back (expires 31.5.16) and Accor spend of £250 gets £30 back (expires 30.4.16) Hopefully of use to fellow HFP readers and worthy of a mention!

• Dave Barron says:

That’s Amex not Axex!

• Was mentioned in comments a couple of days ago, but sadly many of us don’t have it on our cards!

• Johnnycl says:

Worth checking again – I had a spend £150 at Hilton get £25 credit appear on another card today.

• Sadly nothing on Plat, Plat AC, SPG or BA cards! Poor show from Amex, although TBH would be too late now if it did show up as I’ve already booked lots of flash sale rates!

• I normally don’t like these off topic comments. However, on this occasion, it’s much appreciated as I missed out on the last Hilton offer. Checked my account and it’s there – thanks for flagging it up.

• Why don’t you like off-topic comments? They don’t hurt and are very often of great use to many readers. The reader comments are a source of information that nicely complements the actual articles (and often lead to further articles, when Rob deems this worthwhile). They’re generally flagged as OT at the outset, so you can always ignore them.

• I don’t normally like them as it detracts from the intended subject matter. However, I did go onto explain that, on this occasion, it benefited me. I appreciate not everyone has the same opinion, I was just expressing mine. Maybe I’ll change my opinion now after the £50 Hilton saving.

• sandgrounder says:

Further OT- apols to those who don’t approve! This may have been flagged before, but I have today received a targeted email offering 3k MR points for adding a supplementary card holder to my PR Gold (open for around 2 months). Anyone applying for this card in the near future may wish to hold off from adding a supplementary at application time.

• sandgrounder says:

0/10 for observation- I have been well beaten to this one. Wrist-slap to me for not reading the whole thread first! :-)

• Doh….I applied and was approved on line yesterday for PR gold with wife as a supplementary card holder.

8. Dates in April and May LGW-MLA for £218rtn. This route is 80TP each way. With £100 off for 7500 that’s 160TP for £118. And earns 5000 back if you’re already Silver.

• Marrakech is another that gives you 160tp and there’s loads of dates where it’s £239 return (or £139 & 7500 avios) slightly more expensive but more avios back and a more interesting destination than Malta.

9. Assume the Dublin sub £200 fares aren’t out of Gatwick since BA don’t fly to Dublin from there!

10. OTP: Got an Email from Amex offering 3,000 MR for additional card holder on Gold Amex (1st is free). Doesn’t mention any minimum spend. Is that the case usually? You just add someone on the card and get the points and no minimum spend required by additional card holder?

• yes, just add

• Thanks. It seems a no brainer to add my wife in that case.

• rams1981 says:

Can a person who already has an AMEX qualify as a supplmentary card holder? I’d like to add my wife but she already has the gold card!

• Genghis says:

Yes. I am a supp on my wife’s cards and vice versa. It increases the opportunities for offers and great when Amex small shop comes around.

• JamesLHR says:

Is this a targeted offer as I don’t have a supplementary card and haven’t received an email. In addition I once read you get bonus Avios for a supplementary card holder on the BA PP, can anyone confirm?

• Don’t know if it’s targeted or not but it is open for another month so quite possible others will get the email soon.

• I emailed Amex last week re supps on BAPP and was told it was still valid (500 pts). Waiting.for 1000 pts to post for 2 suppl cards within 90 days. Also still valid on the blue card. We didn’t get the email for the gold card either – we have it in my husbands name only.

• Waribai says:

I think this is aimed at cardholders approaching the end of the fee free first year

11. Doesn’t look like there are any good Ex-EU + Sale fares this time. Anyone know if that’s a conscious decision or if they are to come?

12. Offtopic and not sure what kind of fare code is this based on but I purchased yesterday AMS-MIA via LHR, few days over there in MIA, then MIA-EZE, few days in B. Aires and then back to LHR from EZE via JFK, all on AA for GBP 1250 pp in business class (books in I). From a quick look, similar fares were available for SCL instead of EZE.

13. Entirely off topic, but here is Air France arguing in court that their premium economy product is no better than economy! Why? To try to save APD. (They say “premium” is what used to be fully flexible economy, and “economy” is economy with restrictions – different prices for what is essentially the same product – “it was never Air France’s intention to create a separate class of travel or a highly distinctive class of travel from economy only a product which was “enhanced
    for marketing purposes”.” – That said, “premium economy” passengers have separate check-in, are seated separately, have slightly better food, and lounge access in Paris, etc.)

They lost.

• Tribunal’s views
      39. In my judgment, it is quite clear, having considered all the various 5 factors as set
      out below, that the appellant’s PE customers were travelling in a different and higher
      class of travel to those travelling in economy. The PE product was not the “lowest
      class of travel available on the aircraft”. In my view this conclusion is readily
      sustainable on the basis of the positioning of the PE seating behind the business
      10 section and in front of the economy seats with a curtain separating the PE and
      economy sections, and the improved snack made available to PE customers.
      40. While I agree with Mr Ewart that the function of the thin moveable curtain
      divider cannot be about privacy (if it were it might be expected that on flights where
      there was a very large contingent of business and PE customers that curtain dividers
      15 would be placed at regular intervals to break the cabin space up, and as Mr Ewart
      pointed out the divider gives just as much privacy to economy customers), it would be
      wrong to assess the significance of the curtain divider purely in physical terms. To do
      so would be to ignore what, in my view, an objective person familiar with air travel
      would readily appreciate. He or she would know that curtain dividers such as those
      20 described in this appeal however thin or flimsy are deployed for symbolic reasons as a
      sort of “marketing theatre” to differentiate who is travelling in which travel class; so
      much so that the act of having them drawn shut with a flourish after take off has
      become a cliché in the world of commercial air travel. The curtain divider provides
      visible reassurance to those in front of them that they are not an economy passenger
      25 and that others will appreciate this fact too. The fact the curtains are drawn back at
      take off and landing is not significant – it would readily be understood that this is
      done to facilitate heightened safety during those parts of the flight.
      41. The positioning of the PE passengers in front of the curtain with the business
      passengers is consistent with the marketing in relation to PE which suggests that PE
      30 customers are in their own cabin with the business class passengers. Given the layout
      of the business seats (with a maximum of four passengers per row as opposed to six),
      the passenger density in the separated area is also more likely to be lower.
      42. As to the snack which PE customers receive there is nothing in the appellant’s
      point that it is a matter of opinion as to what kind of sandwich filling is to be
      35 preferred. PE customers receive a different snack choice and it is clear that the kind of
      sandwich contents they are offered (the example Mr Jayer gave was salmon) is widely
      acknowledged to be superior to that offered in economy (ham or cheese).
      43. While I take into account that the type of seats the PE customers sit in are
      essentially the same as those which economy customers occupy when this fact is
      40 viewed together with the other facts I do not think it is significant enough to point
      towards PE and economy being the same “class of travel”.

Lovely summing up of why we wouldn’t dream of paying extra to fly business on a 2 hr flight in Europe, not that m’learned colleague intended it as such

14. I need to burn £1000 very quickly to reach a credit card bonus on starwood amex. Any suggstions on a fully refundable no hassle purchase – BA, other airline, hotel? I want to earn the bonus, clear the points and then request the refund.

• Fully flex BA ticket then pay £15 to cancel.

• Do Amex have any issues with that I’ve got another 2 months but if I run out of time, this might be necessary.

• Why do that though when you could make a fully cancellable Expedia hotel reservation for later in the year then cancel it at zero cost?

• Or buy Tesco gift cards if you shop there frequently and or buy petrol there…… Knowing you will use them up in a fee weeks…

• Book a refundable hotel on Expedia, several months ahead, and when you’ve hit your target properly cancel the booking. I’ve done it several times with no issues.

15. Stuart F says:

This afternoon I was looking at LGW-BCN and it was offering me £100 off for 7,500 avios. Now the same search is only offering £100 off for 15,000. What changed? Do I need to follow a specific link to get the double value offer?

16. Hi Rob, completely OT but was just browsing through BA’s The Club and saw the Harvey Nichols offer of 5 Avios per £1 spent and 2,000 bonus if you spent more than £1,000 and BA > HN status matching that I thought might be interesting for the audience here. Just not sure if it was on your radar so wanted to mention it here.

17. A quick question for the community… I have just used my companion voucher and booked a one way first class LHR – Mumbai (wouldn’t have been possible without this site) and then a separate avios booking on Sri Lankan to Colombo leaving 3 hours later from the same terminal. As both airlines are one world and BA sell connecting tickets via BOM to Sri Lanka anyway will they check my bags all the way through? If anyone has any experience of BA checking bags all the way through on connecting flights booked on a separate tickets with a One World carrier please share it with us as I really don’t want to have to apply for a transit visa! Thank you.

• Ali, you can’t presume they will check bags all the way for you, but it depends on the check in person at that time. They might well, as they are quite friendly these days at check in, so you might get lucky. You also run the risk of flight delays from LHR at so you could maybe run that by them.

18. Sadly pretty useless with domestic connections – prices almost double once these are added in! :(