BA launches new Cape Town route – with full reward availability

British Airways sprung a pleasant surprise yesterday by launching a new Cape Town service from London Gatwick.

As Cape Town is one of the toughest Avios redemptions to book, this is an excellent opportunity.

Starting on 24th November and only for the Winter season, the flights will be operated by a three-class Boeing 777-200ER aircraft with 48 Club World seats.

Cape Town

The outbound flights will depart on Monday, Thursday and Saturday, returning on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday.  Flights will be overnight in both directions and are perfectly timed for a short break.  Remember that South Africa usually has only a one hour time difference so, in Club World, you can get a good nights sleep and wake up perfectly fresh.

As a new route, Avios availability is very good.  BA opened up two Club World seats and four World Traveller seats on every flight yesterday.

These seats are unlikely to last long so, if you fancy a break in Cape Town, I recommend heading over to and moving quickly.

Major blow to the BA Amex as FCA imposes 0.3% interchange fee cap
Bits: new Pullman hotel in Liverpool, Marriott / Starwood takeover latest

1. JamesLHR says:

Aircraft type is a 3 class 777-200 with a 48/24/203 split according to the GDS.

2. What's the Point says:

I can only see 2 dates available in CW going out in Dec and 1 date in Jan!
    They can’t have all gone already?

• JamesLHR says:

Looking in res, I could only find 5 dates through to March next year that show UCL listed and shown as U2. All the other flights exclude UL which is when redemption fares are sold out.

Not sure if it is the BA standard to remove UCL when all are gone from the reservations listing?

3. On a detail, SA is TWO hours ahead of GMT during the European winter, still negligible compared wiith west coast UA, Oz, etc of course.

SA doesn’t observe daylight saving time, so is one hour ahead in our winter and two hours ahead in our summer.

• Not quite correct…

South Africa is two hours ahead during the UK winter and one hour ahead during the UK summer (when we put our clocks forward by an hour).

• Sorry! That’s what I was trying to say.

I should know as we’re flying CPT-LHR tonight, 2 hours ahead now but 1 hour behind when e arrive. :)

4. Terence says:

Club World Reward Availability is not showing anymore Reward Seats than 3 months ago at present.

5. I saw this yesterday lunchtime as my wife and I were planning a trip next Feb and to my surprise there were flights with availability (I had been warned of the difficulty of using a companion voucher to get to Cape Town). I came home to look at flights with my wife in the evening and by then ALL the new flights out of LGW for Jan and Feb in CW had gone!

6. Fredo Frog says:

Yes the outbound CW reward seats in January have all gone. There are 2 dates on the inbound to LGW from CPT with CW reward seat avaialbilty when I looked 5 minutes ago. There are some WT reward seats available but I don’t wish to go that much!

I shall stick with my CW seats in January to Tampa and enjoy the Florida Gulf Coast instead.

7. yesterday afternoon found economy and CW seats in Dec, Jan all gone now

8. The early bird………….

9. I’d like to start by saying ‘Thank you’ for making me aware of this routing and all the great work you do on this site….I had already booked seats Jan’17 (early bird…) LHR-JNB return with Amex 2-4-1 out Club return WT+ and purchased separate onward connection to Cape Town. I found 2 Club seats for return sector Cape Town-LGW but unable to change online as BA website wouldn’t ‘t give this option which meant I had no choice other than to call Reservations and because of this I have been charged amendment fee amounting to almost £100 plus difference in fare approximately £80 & Avios. I have no complaint about paying difference in fare but has anyone ever successfully challenged the cost applied for speaking to Res when one has no other option but to call because BA’s own system won’t allow me to do this online?

• Genghis says:

Yes. If you don’t have the option to do it online and so have to call them up, I ask for the charge to be waived and I’ve not had a problem with that.

• Thank you Genghis, I did raise it with the agent but he wasn’t willing to waive it. I shall contact BA EC