It’s back – buy up to 60,000 cheap Avios, from 0.7p, via Groupon!

Fortunately, or unfortunately (it depends how much trouble you had getting the Avios to post when this deal first ran in December) you can yet again buy cheap Avios points simply by heading over to Groupon!

It isn’t quite that simple – but near enough.  When the process works, it is great.  If it goes wrong, as it did for a few HFP readers last time, you are in for a long period of ringing Spanish-speaking call centres trying to get your miles.

Groupon logo

This is an Iberia Plus deal.  This means that there are two hurdles to jump:

You need an Iberia Plus Avios account (easily fixed by going to if you don’t have one)

Your Iberia account will need to be 90 days old before you are allowed to use ‘Combine My Avios’ and send your points across to your British Airways Executive Club or account

Start by visiting the Iberia home page here.

Iberia has its own online shopping portal.  However, it is not meant to be offered to UK residents.  You must change the site language (top left) to Spain – English.  It will not work if you are set to United Kingdom – English.

Click on ‘Iberia Plus’ in the top menu and you will see a link for Iberia PluStore.  Go there.  Search for Groupon and click through.  You will earn an extra 5 Avios per €1 for your purchase in the IberiaPluStore!

Once you have clicked through to Groupon and got the relevant cookie on your computer, click here for the Avios page you need on the Spanish Groupon site.

It is best to use Google Chrome to open it.  Chrome should offer to translate the text.  If it doesn’t, right click on your mouse and a translation option will appear.

There are five price levels- the 2,000 Avios deal is the cheapest:

2,000 Avios = €19 (£15.09) = 0.75p (0.71p when including 95 PluStore Avios)

4,000 Avios = €49 (£38.92) = 0.97p (0.93p when including 195 PluStore Avios)

8,000 Avios = €99 (£78.63) = 0.98p (0.93p when including 495 PluStore Avios)

12,000 Avios = €149 (£118.34) = 0.99p (0.93p when including 745 PluStore Avios)

20,000 Avios = €259 (£205.70) = 1.03p (0.97p when including 1,295 PluStore Avios)

You can buy a maximum of five packages per Iberia account.  However, you are restricted to just one of the ‘2,000 Avios’ packs.

The maximum number of Avios you can buy is therefore (20,000 x 5) 100,000 points for €1295, or £1,028.

You can pay by Paypal which may be easier – I did during the previous promotion – although you get legged over on the exchange rate.  All other credit cards are accepted including American Express.  If you do not use a 0% payment card, remember to factor in the 3% FX fee to the prices shown above.

This is where it got messy last time ….

About 30 minutes later you will receive an emailed voucher.  If you don’t, the voucher will also be showing in your account on the Spanish Groupon site.

There is a link in the voucher to a page on the Groupon site where you need to input the two coupon codes.

Here’s the cool bit – when you hit return, you may well get an error message.  If you do, try again.  And again.  And again.

Once accepted, you will be asked for your Iberia Plus account number.  All done.

Reader Andrew posted the following guide in the comments yesterday which may also help:

“Once you’ve made your purchase, it will show up in your Groupon purchases as ‘processing’. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and check again (you should get an email to confirm that the Avios are ready).

The ‘processing’ message should have disappeared and a link should appear in its place. Click it and you will be taken to a new page to redeem the Avios.

On the left side there should be a blue button underneath a picture of an Iberia plane. Click the button and a pdf file will open in a new tab. At the top left there should be a security code and a coupon code. You will need these codes so make a note of them (ignore the ‘ref’ code).

Close the pdf file. Towards the bottom of the previous page, there’s a set of instructions. In the first paragraph there should be a small link. Click it, and you’ll be taken to a new page with some fields to fill in.

Add the security code, the coupon code, your email address, click the tick box, and hit the green ‘validate coupon’ button. The page will not change, but on the right hand side, your coupon details will appear.

This is where the main problem lies. I HAD TO DO THIS TEN TIMES TO GET IT TO WORK. Same as last December. But it will eventually work, just be patient!

When you can see your code details on the right, scroll down the page and click the blue ‘continue’ button (not the green one, which is to validate the coupon – you’ve already done it).

You will be taken to a new page and prompted to enter your Iberia Plus number. Again, it took me ten attempts to do this, but it will eventually accept it!

You should then get a confirmation message on the next page!”

Once you’ve got to this stage, you will get your Avios.  I don’t think anyone actually had any trouble after getting a confirmation.  They will take a few days to appear (the site says 30 days but that is overkill) and of course you are also waiting on your Avios from the shopping portal as well.

The big question ….. is it worth it?

Normally, if I was offered the chance to buy Avios as cheaply as 0.7p without having to leave my desk, I would jump on it.

Here, however, you have various moving parts – the translation issues during purchase, the effort required to validate the coupons, the potential risk that the shopping portal miles do not arrive and the knowledge that if it gets messy you will have to deal with Groupon Spain to fix it.

Last time, it must be said, most people – including myself – got their points without any trouble.  What surprises me more than anything is that the deal is being re-run without having fixed the IT bugs which caused all the trouble in the first place ….

12,000 Avios points with E.ON Energy Fixed 18 Month Reward gas and electricity tariff
New Qatar Business Class sale - deals from Edinburgh (£1k Dubai), Birmingham, Manchester, London

1. Cuchlainn says:

Groupon Spain not allowing me to log in – my Groupon UK login is a address….. Any ideas gratefully accepted :) PS Groupon UK not allowing me to change to a .com address.

• you need to set up a new Spanish Groupon a/c

• Cuchlainn says:

Spotty dog Harry – worked a treat, thanks !!

Mira tu Tarjeta Iberia Plus en 30 dias laborable ya habrás recibido tus Avios

2. Some people are saying why bother with 2000 avios @ 0.7p? – agreed it’s only 2000 for potential hassle. What about 18,000 for under 0.9p?

Crunching the math to get best, decent amount + discount (5 Groupons) = 1 x 2000 + (4 x 4000) = total 18,000 avios. Cost EUR215

You buy through IB Plustore. = 1075 Avios

You get another 340 Avios on your Amex card.

Total 19,415 Avios = 1.1074c/ Avios = c. 0.88p/ Avios

Decent biggish amount 18K @ 0.88p/ Avios

• Genghis says:

Harry, are you on commission? :)

• seems much less hassle for me to get the 2000 avios with 4 or 5 quick stopoffs at at hole in the wall with a Curve card, at 0p per avios over the next week or two :)

• let’s see how you fare lol

might be egg on the face for me

early bird gets the worm so why not try £2000 withdrawal on day 1?

3. Bought the 2k (as I did last time), worked smoothly.

• Actually, just looked at my IB account… they double credited me last time!

12/19/15 Purchase Iberiaplustore In Gro Shopping 304
      12/19/15 Avios Earned With Groupon Shopping 2,000
      12/19/15 Avios Earned With Groupon Shopping 2,000

4. Having trouble setting up a groupon account, it keeps giving me the error: Format wrong street, no matter what I enter. How did other people get a groupon account?

5. Big warning to all.

I purchased 5 x 4000 and 4 x 8000 of those packages in December. I still have not received any of the latter (5 x 8000) and I have been chasing both Groupon Es and Iberia for 3 months. Groupon Es keeps giving me the run around saying it will be taken care of. So Buyer Beware!

6. Hingeless says:

Combine my avios will only allow me to send points to Iberia plus, and not the other way, any ideas why?

7. why up to 60K in title when you can buy 100k ?

8. I bought 2,000 Avios via Groupon Es yesterday. All appeared to work fine except no record on IberiaPlusstore of my purchase. This morning I’ve got an email from IberiaPlusStore advising of the pending Avios from Groupon Es. “Bear in mind the approval can take up to 40 days from the day the purchase was made”. Have I’ve been rumbled as I’m in UK?

• that’s normal, they arrive much sooner, though

• Are you having a laugh. My purchase through the Iberia plus store in December took till march to post. I gave up and was pleasantly surprised they ever reached me. My points landed very quickly and no issues however I can see how it went wrong for others with the crap excuse for an it system they use

9. rams1981 says:

I bought on Friday. Got confirmation from Groupon I had activated each code. This morning Iberia plus store emailed they tracked the 5 avios per euro spend.

Ignoring the bonus my 46000 avios have cost me £458.61 (I bought one of each coupon) which is just under 1p per mile.

With the bonus (96 + 246 + 496 + 746 + 1296) 2880 avios it’s 0.93p.

10. Bought about 50K yesterday , had to try to redeem code 3 times , but seems worked after that , got emails with tracking from the store this morning. Thinking about buying 1 more package … btw , what is best routes for use 2-4-1 voucher from value points of view ? I usually use it for European reward safer flights as that the only routes with taxes which make sense to use avios , any other sweet spots to look for some warm holiday somewhere where taxes not outweight cash price ?

11. Dave Barron says:

2000 Avios purchased – VERY straightforward so look forward to receiving into my Iberia account!

I used my Amex Gold card so yeah I will get a foreign exchange charge but will get a few Membership Rewards back (possibly double points as buying from an airline?!?)

Cheers Rob

12. Had an email from Groupon with a 20% Flash Discount code – annoyingly doesn’t work with the Avios deal. Wasted 20 minutes of my life! Also the link from Iberia PluStore to Groupon no longer appears to be working.

13. 2000 points offer is apparently SOLD OUT so not much value here anymore.

I tried to buy and kept receiving an error ‘Ha habido un problema al enviar tu solicitud’ which is
    There have been a problem submitting your application.

Tellingly, the URL on the page is

So I assume the sold out part is the real error here!

• Doodles says:

I have just bought 2000 now and, following the instructions in this article, it worked first time.

14. I bought the 2000 package for myself and my wife. Redeemed them both with a success message, but unlike last time Groupon isn’t showing them as redeemed (‘Canjeado’). My avios have not yet been credited to my IB account.

Are others seeing the same thing?

I haven’t received a confirmation email, but then I didn’t last time either.

15. Groupon now earns 8 avios per 1 euro spend on ibplustore! just bought a small test purchase of 4000 avios and will get 392 extra avios. For 49 euros seems a reasonable deal. had no issues redeeming, lets just hope it credits!

16. Is this deal now over?

17. signol says:

My 2000 Avios have just credited..

18. Is this offer still working for anyone? Thanks!

19. Martin says:

Bought in the December ´15 promotion for me and a friend. His 3 x 12.000 never arrived, my 3/5 12.000 never arrived. E-Mail contact with Groupon is a total failure – same email (“It-Department”) a dozen times. Really don’t know what to do.