Earn double Hilton points for 4 months with ‘Unlimited Bonus’

Hilton HHonors has launched its new May to August promotion called ‘Unlimited Bonus‘.

If nothing else, it wins the 2016 award for simplest hotel promotion:  you will receive double base points on every stay.  No exclusions, no cap, no minimum stay requirements.

The only ‘tweak’ is that some members are receiving an additional offer when they register, such as 5,000 points on their next stay.  I didn’t.

You need to register to take part and this can be done via the Hilton website here.

Hilton Diamond 350

One thing that is worth noting is that there is NOT a ‘double miles’ option as we have seen in the past.  If you take airline miles from your Hilton stays, you will only be earning them at the standard rate.

For once, no hotels are excluded.

You still receive double base points if you choose ‘points and miles’ (usually 10 base points per $1 plus 1 airline mile per $1) instead of ‘points and points’ (usually 10 base points per $1 plus 5 bonus base points per $1).

Most people will be better off taking ‘points and points’.  Once doubled, you are trading off 10 additional Hilton points per $1, which I value at 3p, against 1 airline mile, which I value at 0.75p to 1p.

You can register for ‘Unlimited Bonus’ here.  No registration = no bonus.

I would recommend registering now in case you forget later, given that the offer runs until the end of August.

A reminder that Iberia and BA are NOT equal in the eyes of Hilton

If you choose ‘points and miles’ from your Hilton stays, you will generally earn 1 mile per $1 spent at the ‘full service’ brands such as Conrad and Hilton.

However, both Iberia Plus and Virgin Flying Club are exceptions to the ‘1 mile per £1’ rule.  Here is the list of Hilton airline partners.  You will see that:

British Airways earns 1 Avios point per $1

Iberia Plus earns 15 Avios points per $10 (a better deal, but capped at 1,000 Avios per stay)

Virgin Flying Club earns 2 miles per $1

Except for very expensive stays where you may breach the 1,000 Avios cap, it makes no sense to credit Hilton stays to a British Airways Executive Club account when you could credit them to Iberia instead and get 50% more.

If you collect both Avios and Virgin miles and are ambivalent between them, Virgin is clearly the best option.

I check out the 'next generation' Holiday Inn Express design - did it impress?
Bits: Use Newquay's lounge for £10, £25 off SWISS to Geneva, South African Airways sale

1. Thanks for posting Rob, as an aside I’ve been trying to login. to my HHonors a/c since Thursday to book a 2 night stay to activate the 5000 bonus I was offered. My login is still not working, its an issue Hilton is aware of. So just a heads up to other HFP readers as I know from flyertalk a few have experienced similar.

2. Good offer I will take up later.

Just discovered on the last day that this Conrad give champagne with breakfast when asked. Boo!

3. Can anyone a bit more savvy with Hhonors figure out how many total points I will accumulate (as Gold) using ‘points and points’ for an upcoming 21 night stay in a Hilton Garden Inn? The total rate was 2700 USD. I’m presuming this offer can be applied to future stays already booked! I think as Gold I get 750 bonus points but this is per stay rather than per night? Thanks!

• Brian says:

I believe you will earn 75,000 points.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

I don’t know if they still do it, but ask HHonors about a diamond status challenge. The typical requirement is 21 nights in 90 days so you’d be sorted for Diamond.

4. Mark1980 says:

Does this work with stays booked on points?

• Brian says:

Yes but not on the room rate itself as this is booked with points. You will earn double points only on any additional spending billed to the room.

5. James A says:

totally dull promo (they run double points so often they might as well just make that rate the official earning rate) but welcome as always.

6. mark2 says:

As is usual with my life, my stays during this period are booked with points and the expensive cash stay is just after the end.
    Still Hilton may have another promotion by then!

7. Dannyrado says:

I’m trying to think of ways to retain diamond… Do these double points count towards status?

I need way too many stays, way too many nights, but the points target isn’t out of the question, if I start planning now.

• Sorry – Status is base points only.

• Given your status will be through march ’17, I’d let it lapse with the anticipation that there will be a status match between now and then.

Just make sure you have some status elsewhere to match to.

If that fails ask for a challenge and book 20 nights on points in corby or newport hampton.

8. I’m sure they will be back 😉

9. Has anyone, who has previously had the free weekend night certificate with Hilton, qualified for and obtained the free weekend night certificate since Hilton/Barclaycard changed the rules so that the certificate can only be obtained once ? I am sure I read on here that some had obtained the certificate on more than one occasion since the rules had changed.

10. Hi Alex,

I have used shops away for my last few bookings with Hilton. No problems with points posting. I had a good deal before Christmas where the offer was 10 miles per £1. The last few bookings have netted 6 miles per £1. I also use the Virgin Black Amex giving 2 miles per £1 so it can add up to a nice little stack of miles on top of the usual Hilton points.

• barnaby100 says:

We have had enough for 2 UC returns to dubai just from hilton bookings through shops away since last summer.

11. ambient says:

OT – anyone else being plagued by on-responsive scripts on HFP the past few days? Presumably from an ad placement outside of Rob’s control? Anything you can do please Rob?

12. William says:

I am booked for 12 nights in Prague in August. Are existing bookings covered by this promotion as well?

13. Riaz Shah says:
  14. Tilly71 says:

Will you earn double points on the cash element of booking made using points and cash.

15. When you check in, if they don’t greet you as a Gold member, show them your card. Or you could drop them an email before arrival. I think I got a bottle of wine when I was gold, but I’ve only ever had one stay at gold, then managed to status match to Diamond.

16. Just to be clear- are you suggesting we change earnings to “points and points” for this promotion?
    I am Hilton diamond and normally set for points and miles(virgin).

I have 1 night in London this month and 3 day weekend in Dublin.

• On pure value grounds, yes – but if you particularly need one or the other then obviously take what works for you.

• Alex W says:

I reckon value wise Hilton points and points wins regardless of the promotion. If you switch to miles you are trading 5 points per $ for 1 mile per $. If the miles are worth 1p each and the points are 0.3p each, you’re losing out.

17. Chris says:

They have also disappeared off reward gateway sometime between 10am & 2pm today.

18. It has gone as part of the new ‘book direct’ plan – even though you still are booking direct!

19. Yes the login button is now working, but just goes to an error page! AwardWallet having issues as a result too.

1. […] points per dollar, so Hilton is offering members an extra 10 points per dollar all summer long. (Head for Points comments that some members are also receiving an offer for 5,000 bonus points on their next stay. […]