Bits: 2400 Avios with £100 Tesco Wine order, 1000 hotel nights in Geneva to be won

News in brief:

1,000 Clubcard points with £100 Tesco Wine order

Tesco Wine has launched a new discount code worth 1,000 Clubcard points (2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin Flying Club miles) when you spend £100.

You will find full details here at Shopper Points.

In summary, you will get 1,000 Clubcard points using code XX44GG for a £100 order via the Tesco Wine site here.  The Shopper Points piece has all the small print.

Love Clubcard, don’t collect Avios?  You should be reading our sister site, Shopper Points (, which covers the latest Clubcard and Nectar offers without any distracting frequent flyer talk!  Why not check it out now?

Tesco Wine 350

1,000 hotel nights in Geneva to be won

The Geneva tourism authority has come up with an interesting way of promoting the city this summer.  They are giving away 1,000 hotel nights – bed and breakfast – between 11th July and 12th September.

You will only win one night so they are relying on your booking another, I think, to make it a worthwhile trip.  You have no obligation to do so however.

You are NOT forced to travel on a set date.  This is how it works:

Winners may choose their establishment from among a selection of 3, 4 or 5 star hotels, up to the limit of rooms still available at the time of booking (on a first-come, first-served basis). Bookings must be made no later than 31 May 2016. Bookings must be made for stays between 11 July and 12 September 2016.

You may also get a free flight on SWISS:

In addition to the Prize, entrants who share news of their entry in the Competition on social media can win one of the return flights (between their country of residence and Geneva) offered by our partner: Swiss International Air Lines.  Flight winners will be selected by FGT&C from among those sharing news of their entry using the hashtag: #InvitedByGeneva.

And if you don’t get a free flight, I wrote about a £25 discount code for SWISS flights to Geneva in this article.

Given that there are 5 star hotels in the mix and Geneva is not too far if you just went for the one night, it is worth a go.  The site to enter is here.  The deadline is 17th May.

Good Accor promotion - €120 of credit or 6,000 Avios for three stays, however cheap
Sometimes the oddest Avios redemptions can be the best value!

1. barney says:

Nice competition and prizes. But keep in mind that you would have to spend a fortune on food/drinks/everything else. Geneva is ridiculously expensive.

• Danksy says:

You beat me to it, however with a RFS and free hotel it certainly takes the sting out of it! I once stayed at chateau du lac on the shore of lake Geneva and managed to run up an uber bill in two days…they were the days on corporate expenses though!

• Too right! I went in March for the motor show with a mate thinking it would be a cheapish weekend away. A kebab and chips in a place in a shopping centre for two was £40. Even a beer and slice of pizza at the airport was £35 for two. I’ve been to Helsinki Stockholm Reykjavik and all were not that expensive!

Unless I missed the nice part personally i thought Geneva was a toilet and v scruffy and almost as much grafitii as Paris

• Callum says:

If that’s your assessment then I’d say not only did you miss the nice part, you missed all of Genevas main attractions!

How Lake Geneva could ever be labelled as being like a toilet I don’t know!

2. I’m in. £35 RFS, the rules say your hotel will provide breakfast, so my maximum cost exposure is a couple of takeaway meals. And Geneva is lovely in the summer sun.

3. Callum says:

I think I spent about ten quid on my Geneva day trip with BA… The only things I recall spending money on was a tour of the UN building and the train back to the airport (they give you a free ticket to the city at baggage claim). I took my own food and drank from water fountains.

Unless you wanted to leave the city, a 2 day 1 night break is plenty of time.

4. Genghis says:

OT – Raffles – I have no Star Alliance FF account but have some Swiss flights coming up. Where would you recommend crediting the points and starting to build a points balance that I could actually use M&M combined with MBNA M&M card to aviod points expiry?

• If you want to top up with Amex – Singapore or SAS (but you can also go Amex to SPG to various others Star airlines at a worse rate)

If you want to top up via a proprietary credit card – United, M&M

If you want to top via Heathrow Rewards – M&M

If you want to be able to top via very cheap and very regular miles sales – Avianca

M&M does not let you buy miles, note. I use M&M for my occasional Star flights but that is a) out of habit and b) because I like Lufty First and M&M has a better allocation than Star partners. Most of the miles I need come from Amex to SPG to Lufty transfers though.

5. Simmo says:

Can anybody help me? I am BA Silver, I’m travelling to both ALC, and TLS in the next month on BA economy tickets. Will I be allowed to enter these lounges considering they are not BA or Oneworld owned?

ALC – AENA Sala VIP
    TLS – La Croix du Sud

6. Genghis says:

OT – Marqués de Villamagna 2010 Rioja Reserva 6 bottles £40 + 400 avios. See

7. Craig Sutherland says:

Just received an email to say that I am getting one of the free hotels in Geneva, thanks to Rob for flagging this in the first place!

8. @mkcol says:

Another thanks to Rob – I’ve also just been emailed to say I’ve got one of the free nights.

• @mkcol says:

So despite finding a couple of appropriate hotels I simply cannot get the website to active the code sent – the activate button will not….well…activate :-/

9. Danksy says:

I won too… which hotel are you going for? This is the first time I’ve won anything (apart from £10 on the lottery about 20 years ago!)

10. The power of HFP :)

Any more?

11. I won a night too, thanks again Raffles!
    Activation worked fine for me; just booked a 330 CHF room at the InterContinental!

12. Thanks Raffles, I also won a free night, which I booked at Intercontinental.

13. Zana711 says:

Thanks Raffles! Just booked a free night at Le Richemond worth 330 CHF!