London City Airport finally opens a lounge …. and charges £180 per person

….. although children under 2 are free!

London City Airport has revamped the lounge in the Jet Centre, used for private aircraft, and is now making it available for use by the general public.

(EDIT: but not if you are flying BA, see the PS.)

The lounge itself will not be giving Frankfurt’s First Class Terminal any major worries as you can see from the photographs here.  Following a refurbishment it can now seat 18 passengers.

London City Airport Executive Lounge

The key part of the service is not the lounge itself but the service around it.  The Jet Centre has its own passport control and security channels, and you will be driven directly to your aircraft when it is time to depart.  If you are travelling with luggage, it will be checked in on your behalf.

London City Airport Executive Lounge 2

The service can also be booked in reverse, with passengers collected directly from an aircraft and driven to the Jet Centre for immigration and customs formalities.  Slightly bizarrely, they offer to then drive you to the car park (no valet service here) or drop you at the DLR station.  You can also arrange for a taxi or Uber to pick you up at the Jet Centre which they describe as “carrying on the VIP experience”.

To be honest, whoever wrote the text on the website clearly has no insight into the mind of the potential users of this facility.  I’m not sure lines like this:

Light refreshments, catering, hot and cold drinks are all available from our First Class Lounge. However, if there is a special request to enhance your experience, remember you’re a VIP, don’t hesitate to ask.

…. inspire much confidence either!  Business Traveller implied in an article yesterday that they do not even offer hot food at the moment.

Further details can be found on the London City website here.

PS. Since I wrote this piece, I have discovered that the service is NOT open to British Airways passengers because BA will not allow chauffeur transfer to or from their aircraft.

Qatar business class to Auckland for £1,125
LAST CALL - 1,200 FREE Avios points or 1,250 Virgin miles for joining TopCashback!

1. The Jet Centre seems to be about saving time, not about luxury.

We went there last year as part of a tour of LCY, we went through it from airside to landside, it seemed spartan in the extreme!

The staff said typical pax spend about 2 mins there.

2. I was there yesterday. They are offering a 50% discount for the first two months on the normal price of £180 per person.
    I was the only guest.
    They picked me up from the DLR, drove me to the plane, and generally looked after me for the two hours I was there. It has its own private security, and I was first on the plane.
    My review should be out on Monday.

PS – No hot food at present.

• Raffles says:

Look forward to seeing it. It might be worth a go for £90 less the tax write off :-)

3. BrianDT says:

£180, for an airport is can glide through quickly ? No thankyou.

• Genghis says:

Have you been through City security at morning ‘rush hour’?

• I’ve always found it really swift even when busy. No more than 10 mins at security.

Bristol airport yesterday at 5.40 am – the queue for security when down the stairs all the way past the check in desks, round a self check in booth then looped back on itself all the way to the lifts.

When I grabbed an airport staff member and told her I was on a 6.30 departure she said I’ll never make it but if I pay £5 I can fast track.

They should revoke that airports licence to operate – it’s a disgrace from the roads in, cost of parking and complete inability to handle the number of flights it schedules.

• harry says:

Bristol Airport has covered its jacksy for some time by recommending allowing 3 hrs before your flight. Once we only just made it onto the plane – arrived with more than 2 hrs to spare – 10 mins later and we’d have been refused boarding. It certainly can be useless.

• I did get a chuckle out of my £5 when the security woman called me forward through the scanner with “come on through my luver” in the broadest Bristolian accent.

Insult to injury when I showed them my liquids, told them I didnt have a plastic bag for them, they scanned them anyway then put my bag to one side then a member of security staff put the liquids in a bag then rescanned it.

It would be funny if people were not actually missing flights because of it.

There’s enough material just at security for a sidesplitting comedy sketch.

4. lucinda says:

Bizarre given lcy arguably the most efficient airport in the uk anyway – generally takes me just 10 mins from dlr to gate each time

5. James says:

To be fair it’s hard to get a hot main course in departures for less than £20 so £180 sounds in line with the rest of their pricing!

6. You can give me £180 and I’ll carry your bags and passport for you! I’ll even give you hot food for that price. I’ll show you the VIP experience (sponsored by Lidl).

• heh heh!

£90/ £180 means nothing when your employer is paying

If it makes you feel special, & the money means nothing much, why not? They don’t have to mix with us rabble & they save a few minutes on security & getting to the plane; better snacks…doesn’t take too much to justify it mentally.

What a complete waste of money if you’re a mere mortal, though :)

7. This sounds like it is modelled on the JetQuay service in Singapore. They meet you from the plane in either a Merc or buggy depending on service and arrange to collect your luggage whilst they take you to the CIP terminal which has private immigration and customs. Your luggage is put straight into the boot and effectively you don’t touch your luggage between L:HR and your hotel suite in Singapore. If you order the service through the IC in Singapore for example they liaise with the hotel over the phone and a manager waits at the entrance and the whole checkin is either in suite or in the Club lounge. The costs are around the same and they do it all in revese if you wish. When this was around £150 per couple it was a bargain ….

8. ADDED: …….. which included limmo transfers.

9. harry says:

O/T vehicle tax

Just paid mine & noticed Amex is now an option (I think that’s new?)

£2.50 fee – not worth it for me as it’s a miniscule £20 (fuel efficient diesel)

But if you have a Chelsea tractor, might be cheap points

10. Alex W says:

Uncanny – literally just paid mine too! I used Curve, tried to chance it as a debit card, but no joy. Although at £185 it was worth the extra 2.50 to use a credit card for 281 Avios… plus whatever Curve rewards are if they ever sort that out! I wonder if they will give the Curve rewards retrospectively.

• TGLoyalty says:

Confirmed on Twitter the rewards aren’t retrospective which is why I’ll only be using it when absolutely necessary online

And paid my vehicle tax with AMEX on Monday forgot to mention. Seems the fee cap has Atleast meant more of the big places/organisations are accepting AMEX

• Alex W says:

Even so, my Curve is the default card to use in restaurants etc to avoid the awkward “do you take Amex” question!

• Wow I hadn’t realised they weren’t even awarding Curve rewards points yet – quite glad for now mine’s on hold due to lack of Android app. Definitely won’t be going for the Black version either!

• harry says:

I guess most councils will soon allow payment by Amex on similar terms to MC/ Visa.

• Am I the only person who still hasn’t gotten my curve? Ordered on the 22 of feb (black). :/

• Received mine after chasing curve via email – seemed that the card I added to the app last month somehow disappeared and they could charge me the £35 for the card… (no idea how, as i did add it!).

However no issues with Curve so far…. 10 transactions, mix of Contactless and PIN.

1. […] London City airport now has a lounge. It’s pay-in for £180 per person, but includes tarmac transfer. […]

2. […] Head for Points wrote a fairly hostile piece on the lounge, whilst asking for a free visit. I tend to agree that the price point is too high. Although I suppose Chief Exec’s not wishing to mix with the average traveller in what is a massively overcrowded lounge at peak times, will stump up the cash. You have to be sure that your airline participates but if you are going on a special trip, it is a unique way to start your journey. The highlights were the staff and the peaceful environment. I got on my flight unstressed and relaxed after a hard week. […]