Earning miles or points from Europcar car rentals

Europcar is a major player on the car rental scene in Europe (the company is based in France) although it has a lower profile than the big boys, Hertz and Avis.

It is very possible that your travels will see you renting from Europcar at some point.  Inspired by an email from a reader, I thought it was worth putting together a reference article on the best way to get some rewards out of it.

It was possible to earn Avios from Europcar until a couple of years ago.  It was a partner with Iberia Plus  but Iberia has recently followed British Airways into signing an exclusive deal with Avis.

Oddly, Iberia still shows on the Europcar UK website as a partner.  You can tell that this page is out of date because it still refers to earning 10 Iberia ‘points’ per day which is the currency used before Avios was launched in 2011.

Despite what the UK website says, Europcar DOES still have many airline partners:

Miles & More – earn at least 500 miles per rental

Emirates Skywards – earn at least 600 miles per rental

Etihad Guest – earn 500 miles per rental

Delta SkyMiles – earn 60 miles per day

Qatar Privilege Club – earn 500 miles per rental

American Airlines – earn 50 miles per day

plus Aerolineas Plus, Air Europa, airberlin topbonus, El Al, Finnair Plus, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Royal Air Maroc, SAA Voyager, Singapore Airlines, TAP Portugal, Ukraine International Airlines and Virgin Australia Velocity.

It also has partnerships with two major hotel groups which can earn you hotel loyalty points.

Earning with Hilton

Europcar’s first hotel partnership is with Hilton.  Full details can be found on the Hilton website here, which also includes details of their deals with Avis, Budget, Car Club and Sixt.

You will receive a whopping 250 Hilton HHonors points (which I value at 75p!) with each rental.  More valuable is the 5% discount given to Hilton Blue members and the 10% discount given to Hilton Gold and Diamond members.  The codes are on the Hilton page above.

Earning with Le Club AccorHotels

This is a little more promising, as you might expect from a fellow French company.  As you can see on the Accor website here, you can not only earn Accor points with Europcar but also redeem your points for vouchers to spend on Europcar bookings.  This gets you the same value as redeeming for a hotel room, ie €40 per 2,000 points.

The earning rate for Accor is:

•  250 points for 1-4 day rentals
  •  500 points for 5-7 day rentals
  •  1,000 points for 8-days+ rentals

As each Accor point is worth 2c or one Avios point (if you convert to Iberia Plus), you will receive at least €5 of value per rental.  This is a far better deal than with Hilton!

You can also double dip with Europcar’s Privilege programme

Europcar has its own loyalty scheme called Privilege.  Full details can be found on the website here.

The perks are modest but, importantly, you can double dip with earning frequent flyer miles or hotel points so there is no reason not to join up.

The key benefits are:

free weekend rental after three rentals in a calendar year

£10 discount voucher after your second rental after joining

express pick-up service

Do 10 rentals over two years and you will be upgraded to Privilege Executive, triggering another free weekend voucher and an upgrade on every rental.  25 rentals over two years takes you to Privilege Elite, getting you a double upgrade.

The lack of any partnership with Avios or Virgin Flying Club might mean that you give Europcar a miss given a choice.  I can’t argue with that.  If the price works or they are the most convenient company in any given situation, however, you should at least find an airline or hotel partner on this list that will ensure you earn a little something for your trouble.

Bits: LAST DAY for 2400 Avios from Tesco Wine, biometric passports for the US, Gett taxi app now in 25 UK cities
Qatar business class to Auckland for £1,125

1. Andrew* says:

Wouldn’t touch then ever again with a barge pole after our one experience.

Very poor customer service and tried it on overcharging for fuel we’d not used. Took ages to get money back.

Not the usual autocorrect typo, avoid!

2. Concerto says:

Totally agree with that, I haven’t touched them for at least 10 years. Plus the miles or whatever (Flying Blue) never post. And of course, the prices for rentals are just stupid (like Sixt).

3. pointsarb says:

Strange, used them recently for a one way rental from man to London and had a faultless experience and a great rate for a prestige car. Maybe I got lucky!

4. Took me 6 moths and 16 emails to Accor being passed round and round to be asked to provide the same information over and over. Every time it was a different person emailing. I finally demanded an official complaint be filed only to find the right emails to be sent across to me. Eventually I got one from someone at europcar and I got my 250 points. Complete joke the whole thing. Accor is a disgrace claiming its europcar who hold the points not them.

Had a europcar hire two weeks ago and I can’t be bothered nic it’s just too much grief. I wouldn’t mind but I put my Accor number in the booking.

Be warned…..Accor make it so difficult they just hope you go away.

Book with Avis or budget and get see avios. That’s what Im doing on my next trip. It’s no wonder europcar are cheap. You get what you pay for

• General Mayhem says:

I did have some problems getting accor points to credit. After a couple of phone calls they advised emailing customer services with a list of bookings, my driver number and accor number. Points were all credited about a fortnight later.

I now do this about every three months or so and it works like a charm.

• Any advice on who best to contact to claim Accor points?

I booked a 20 day rental last December under an offer which promised 2000 bonus points on top of the base points so I should have been looking at 3000 total. I’m yet to see anything hit my account, and despite sending numerous requests through the online form on the Accor-Europcar microsite I’ve had no response whatsoever to date!

5. rotundo says:

We’re using Europcar regularly and are happy with the service – we get the car delivered and picked up at home, it’s very convenient although it costs £15 each way. The trouble is, when booking the delivery & collection service, I can’t find a way to apply a promotion code like the Hilton HHonors discount; there is a “coupon code” field on the payment page but any code I put in is rejected as not valid. Anyone knows a way around that?

Out of interest, if the Hilton HHonors elite member is a passenger and not the driver, is the booking still eligible for the 10% discount and/or the upgrade?

6. Had a terrible experience with Europcar last summer in Italy. Wouldn’t entertain them again I’m afraid.

7. We have used Sixt abroad on two occasions. Because the prices were so competitive I was worried the first time, but they were great. The vehicles were lovely and we were upgraded on a late pickup on the first occasion, and we had none of the nightmare post-hire charges you often read about the industry. I had no idea about the Hilton partnership though, so am happy that I can pick up some points wits our next imminent booking ☺

8. Don’t forget europcar is a 3x value clubcard partner, which can make it a good value redemption, depending on the experience you have

• harry says:

True enough. Let’s say you have £20 of clubcard points – is turning it into £60 of Europcar credit good value vs Avios?

£20 = 4800 Avios
      @ 0.67p = £32.16
      @ 1p = £48

So seems very fair use.

Even if I have got 4.6p/ Avios of value on our half term flights coming up! :)

• ANY 3x redemption which is genuine is better than Avios, which is why I redeem for Safestore.

What we don’t know is what rate Europcar gives for CC redemption versus all of the discount codes that are floating around.

Hilton with Clubcard, for eg, is 3x but you pay Best Flex with Breakfast rate. Unless cancellation is a risk, you would in reality book AP With Breakfast – and for status members, just AP as brekky would be free.

9. Does anyone have experience of or a recommendation for longer term car rental in the US? I’m looking at 35-40 days to build some breaks from driving into the road trip (flying to/from Denver). Have Amex plat so Avis Flex and Hertz 28+ come into consideration. Obviously wouldn’t mind collecting some Avios but product/service more important. Thanks for any ideas…

• I used Alamo for a similar length trip, even after taking points earning into consideration they were much better value than the rest and also had better online reviews than the Avis, Hertz etc. I booked through rentalcars.com as it worked out cheaper than booking direct.

10. BrianDT says:

Any rental company will offer you decent rates for a month or more.We went to a Used Car Lot for our two month trip which was dead easy, and the dealer bought it back. Another time , I took a one way new car delivery from Minneapolis down to San Jose, and they paid for the fuel !

11. flyforfun says:

Keddy is Europcars low cost booking channel. Is there anyway to earn points through them? I had to book via an intermediary and there was no option for FF numbers iirc.