Bits: cheap Avios IN-STORE with Tesco printer ink, good Miles & More Economist deal

News in brief:

Tesco running a new IN-STORE printer ink deal

Until next Sunday, Tesco is offering 480 Avios (ie 200 Clubcard points) with every HP printer ink you buy in-store.  The cheapest is £7 as you can see here.

This is 1.45p per Avios if you throw the cartridge in the bin.  If you eBay them or use a ‘£x off £y spend’ coupon you may have got in the post recently, it gets more interesting.

You can find more details – plus ways of escaping the Tesco Grocery delivery charge – in this Shopper Points article.

Love Clubcard, don’t collect Avios?  You should be reading our sister site, Shopper Points (, which covers the latest Clubcard and Nectar offers without any distracting frequent flyer talk!  Why not check it out now?

HP Inks

11,400 Miles & More miles with an Economist subscription

Lufthansa Miles & More miles are hard to earn without flying.  You can’t even buy them.

(What you can do is buy Starwood Preferred Guest points and transfer those to Miles & More.  When you transfer 20,000 at once you receive a 5,000 miles bonus, so 20,000 SPG points = 25,000 M&M.)

This is why this new Economist offer is more interesting than usual.  Via this link, you get 11,400 Miles & More miles for a £179 Economist subscription.  That is 1.57p AND you get all the magazines.

If you know anyone in the US, you could order a subscription for them and pay just $190 (£131).  A Canadian address costs you C$190 (£101).  At £101, and with a number of Canadian relatives, I am tempted.  The deal ends on 31st May.

What is the best use of American Express Membership Rewards points?
Now Iberia allows new parents to 'pause' their status .... will BA follow?

1. Address changes are free & quick with the Economist, ie easy enough to switch your subscription back to a UK address

2. Waribai says:

Can we please not go down the road of suggesting people buy stuff and chuck it in the bin? Maybe it’s just me that feels uncomfortable with such terminology!

• Obviously sending them off to recycling / Oxfam is more sensible but I’m not sure you were meant to take it literally!

• Waribai says:

Haha….I do take much of what you say literally thus have amassed a large stash of points!
        I must admit I used to be the first one down the dump but these days as I often try to unload unwanted stuff in a good condition (read printer ink!) at one of the more ‘generic’ London markets with the bric a brac stalls East Street, Elephant and Castle etc. I find stallholders there often take anything in a reasonable condition!
        Childrens toys etc we still take to the charity shops are they are often gone by the time we walk past 30 minutes later!

• The_Real_A says:

I’m sure the receptionist at our Canadian office was thrilled with her subscription last year…

• My sister-in-law in Montreal genuinely was happy, until I cancelled it and kept the Avios..

• mrsilver says:

Again? Really?!

3. Sorry to repeat a post from late yesterday but you’d better be quick or they’ll be gone today I reckon.

OT free

National Rail are giving away 125,000 FREE Family & Friends Railcards (2 months validity). It entitles you to discounted train fares across the country. Use the Sun promo code ‘3PL8 WG64’.

Should get you cheap tickets to Heathrow & Gatwick if you use some of the tips mentioned previously on HFP.

• Andrew* says:

Wasn’t reading comments late yesterday so repost appreciated…

Still worked fine; thanks!

• Mr Dee says:

Very good offer thanks

• Outrageous offer – can only be used if travelling with a 5-15 year old. Yet another example of those who choose to have children being pandered to, and given something not available those of us with a social conscience , who considerately decide against filling up an already over-populated planet, etc, etc. Yours enraged, a Daily Mail reader.

4. Idrive says:

I have purchased the Economist Deal with Lufty in Sep2014, do you think I could reapply or the M&M number will be an issue?

• May well be an issue – unless your status changed and you got a new number.

• idrive says:

Yes, I think so too…Status? what is status with M&M? ahah, no way! I have flown some 4/5 supercheap segments..:-) but have to admit that SAS seats are very comfortable! and very nice flights!

• Thanks. That was meant to be in the article today but the Tesco deal appeared at 10pm so I junked it.

• That looks interesting. Do you have to change to Points & Miles to get the offer? If so do you lose out that many HHonors points?

• Yes, you need to switch. You may well get double points as well, on the base points bit, although that isn’t guaranteed.

5. Tilly71 says:

Just a thing to remember, the hp inks are not the best deal around even with 200 pts. I found a duo pack on amazon of hp black and colour inks for £10 less than Tesco selling separately or as a duo.

6. OT – Hilton seem to have launched a bit of a sale today. The Kensington Doubletree I booked yesterday for £95 is £80 today. Other London Hilton group hotels are correspondingly cheaper too. Might be worth a look – or even a post, though I haven’t received any official notice of this sale.

• I haven’t received any notification either! These prices went up yesterday, no idea for how long or why.

7. OT: But it’s the bits article. Eating at Theo Randall at the Park Lane IC tomorrow. Do I get extra points from using the IHG visa for drinks in the bar/restaurant etc? Or does it need to be charged to a room?

• It is totally down to how the hotel charges the card. If the restaurant is independent and charges go through as ‘Theo Randall’ it will be single points. If it goes through as ‘IC Park Lane’ it will be double.